Will Rex's defense work in Buffalo

ganesh

1, 3, 5, 8, 11, 6

They are the Jets defensive rankings for Rex's six years, and the talent on this Bills defense is better than any of those Jets teams.

There is good reason that Rex was salivating when he spoke about the talent on his new team.

20,20,19,24--those are the Jets D rankings in points allowed the past 4 years.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, they were 6 last year?!?!?! That actually surprises me.

and better then us against the run....which is actually most people's fear when it comes to going way from Jim Schwartz

To me its nitpicking in a big way...the bottom line is the D is going to be there....week in and week out....it is the OFFENSE that most of us are waiting to see what is going to happen

Greg Roman was a good start......want to see who the O line coach is going to be because our O line really regressed last year

Rex's defense is predicated on disguised blitzes. In order to run that scheme effectively, they need a extremely talented secondar. Rex was successful when Revis played along with Cromartie. Do the Bills have equivalent backfield to execute his schemes successfully. Gilmore and Leodis are OK cornerbacks, nothing remotely close to Revis and Cromartie. Pettine had a good defense here because he had Byrd in Center Field and Kiko at the MLB position. In spite of that it was the 28th worst running game.

Schwartz fixed the run-stopping and played some solid defense. How can Rex coach this team to its strength. I almost feel he might try to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I think the Bills D is good to begin with. If interested I believe Mr. Revis is a UFA....

Well, quoting REX, who is very quotable.....he said (paraphrasing) " I don't believe in putting square pegs in round holes...I use the strengths of the players we have"

If he does that, we are going to be big time winners on the D side of the ball!!! If he forces players to fit his template....we are screwed, and headed for a big turnover of players.

Well, quoting REX, who is very quotable.....he said (paraphrasing) " I don't believe in putting square pegs in round holes...I use the strengths of the players we have"

If he does that, we are going to be big time winners on the D side of the ball!!! If he forces players to fit his template....we are screwed, and headed for a big turnover of players.

the players we have fit his template so why would there be a lot of turnover

Alright folks, we need to stop getting so hung up on 34/43 defense.

The real difference is an under front, and an over front.

We ran each in the last two years and our personal excelled at both. You don't have to have a true NT to run an under front. K Williams played in that role with pettin.

For what it's worth Parcells used an under front (34 small NT) with a lot of success. Wade Phillips used it in Dallas when he was there (Ratliff NT 280'). Rex used both fronts in Baltimore as well.

This is going to be awesome to watch.

and better then us against the run....which is actually most people's fear when it comes to going way from Jim Schwartz

To me its nitpicking in a big way...the bottom line is the D is going to be there....week in and week out....it is the OFFENSE that most of us are waiting to see what is going to happen

Greg Roman was a good start......want to see who the O line coach is going to be because our O line really regressed last year

Solari from San Fran?

http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/1/13/7540453/bills-request-permission-to-interview-mike-solari-per-maiocco

did you take out pick 6's and you forgot offensive turnovers. I also need defenses starting field position on those turnovers. See how much goes into stats, it's why you really shouldn't just post one and think it works.

You do know Rex is better then Schwartz and has used every different defensive scheme in the NFL world so he knows what he's doing.

Oh goodness.

The D is going to be just fine and probably better than it was this year.

It's the O that is the issue. Can't wait to see what they do for QB and how this plays out. I think we upgraded at OC so that can't hurt.

Exactly.....this needs to rest

Exactly.....this needs to rest

well i see your point.

But this situation may have an effect we fans are concerned about. Nt as to whether Rex can run the D. because he is maybe the most able coach in the league at just that.

But what about Hughes , what about Spikes. What about our DTs. What about Mario having some fun about playing a 3-4 and trying to joke that he doesnt like it lol.

I am very anxious to see the players he is going to use and how. Maybe Karl Dunbar knows. : )

Maybe Whaley is already working.

Lawson and Hughes are my wildcard.

If J Houston fits, i might consider that over Hughes.

well i see your point.

But this situation may have an effect we fans are concerned about. Nt as to whether Rex can run the D. because he is maybe the most able coach in the league at just that.

But what about Hughes , what about Spikes. What about our DTs. What about Mario having some fun about playing a 3-4 and trying to joke that he doesnt like it lol.

I am very anxious to see the players he is going to use and how. Maybe Karl Dunbar knows. : )

Maybe Whaley is already working.

Lawson and Hughes are my wildcard.

If J Houston fits, i might consider that over Hughes.

I understand the concern but Ryan is a good D coach and the talent is near the top in the league. I'm saying the concern should be on the offense.

On the surface that would seem a good way to judge them, however, there is a reason they use yards for the "official ranking" as it can't be influenced by the offense. The Jets' O was a turnover machine and any D playing on the other side of them is going to give up points.

Granted, this is obviously a two edged sword because Rex was the head coach of a team that was a turnover machine, which isn't good. But putting that on the D is being disingenuous.