Who will the Bills bring in at QB?

YoloinOhio

Bills QB in 2015  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB will the Bills bring to Buffalo?

• Jay Cutler, Bears
    • Sam Bradford, Rams
    • RG3, Redskins
    • Peyton Manning, Broncos
    • Mark Sanchez, FA (Eagles)
    • Nick Foles, Eagles
    • Matt Moore, FA (Fish)
    • Tom Brady, Pats*
    • Colin Kaepernick, 49ers
    • Brian Hoyer, FA (Browns)
    • Other vet
    • Rookie
    • Eli Manning, NY OBJs

Teams don't just throw away high level QBs in the garbage unless they think they have an equally good one on their roster. I can't see Cutler getting traded honestly. To compare Cutler to Flacco is embarrassing cuz Flacco has shown in the playoffs to be a much better QB than Cutler has. Heck has Cutler even won a playoff game? I know we haven't been in a playoff game but meh I think Cutler's stats get padded in garbage time or at least they were at times last year.

Cutler went to the NFC Chip in 09. I compare him to Flacco and Eli because I think all of their games are similar. I can see him getting traded because A. there's been smoke and B. they are entering a total rebuild, need cap room to maneuver, and he hasn't won a Superbowl, like you said.

The post Greg is referring to is here. You may agree but think the contract is too much, which I get. But I think he fits as the kind of guy we need.

The thing about "consistency in the playoffs" is that the teams that win the Superbowl are not always consistent. Joe Flacco isn't consistent. Neither is Eli. They both have had great games against good opponents, and really bad games. Short of hitting on a top 5 generational guy, you want a guy who, at his best, can play great, and you accept that he's gonna have some games or years where he'll play worse and fall short.

Flacco is a good QB for this reason. He's had great games before, but whether it's luck, streaking or what have you, he put together a couple of his best to win a championship. So did Eli. And both of those guys have had really bad years as well.

Rodgers, Brady, P. Manning are all great because they are consistent. A down year for one of those guys is an above average year for a Flacco/Eli QB. But Flacco/Eli both have the potential on any given Sunday to outduel one of those guys if they play well. That's the kind of QB I want to target short term. That's why I want Cutler. His season stats are a little above average, but not spectacular. I get that. But is there a available QB with a better chance to throw for 400 yards and 4 TD's on a random game? If you had to pick one QB out of the guys available for trade/FA, who gives you the best odds of winning a shootout against a great QB?

That's the main reason why I, personally, don't have as much faith in EJ as I would like in delivering a Superbowl. He's had some good performances with good team performances, no question. But I haven't seen him elevate to that point where I go, "Woah, we could outscore anyone with EJ playing like this." I know it's a tall order, but I wish I had seen that.

In short, I want a guy who has had multiple "hot" games where he's flat out dominated. I don't care about his lows. Consistency be damned. Just give me someone with a shot to play at a Pro-Bowl level for a game. That could be enough, with some luck.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/175139-bills-gm-wants-next-coach-to-revive-ej-manuel/page-21

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone who is worried about Cutlers cap hit, his contract is essentially only guaranteed for 2015. After that it would be easy to cut him or restructure.

And for those voting for Bradford, just know that his cap hit for next year is essentially the same as Cutler's.

I'm with you. I can get behind that argument, and I'm not advocating breaking the cap to keep Hughes. I just think he's finally found himself in this league and is worth keeping around.

Cutler... like I said, your post was well argued and thought out and I like your main point. Cutler fits that mold, and if they do bring him in I'll be using your rationale to soothe the sting. So in that sense you did get a believer. I just would rather not go with Cutler -- especially with that contract. A Cutler on the cheap though... I'd be much more amenable. :beer:

I have to admit, Hughes' play against the Browns was eye-popping.

The cap space argument is valid to me, but I personally don't see another option besides a lucky "revival" of a backup guy. There's always going to be negatives to moves. Hell, Sammy had negatives in terms of the trade. But without taking a shot, without taking a risk, you'll never find out if the player was worth it. Like Russell Wilson being "too small." I hope we aren't sitting on the couch next year going, "That guy was available? Why did we not get him?!?"

... So much Sanchize love out there. It's continually surprising.

I have no idea why.

Rex Ryan seemed very non-committal to EJ in his press conference today. It feels like there is a plan in motion to bring a new QB to Buffalo. Who do you think it will be?

I get the feeling that a lot of the QBs who people may want won't be available...nothing concrete, just a hunch that not as many will be available as thought. That said, I think the Bills will end up with somebody who will cost them nothing but money. For that reason, I voted Matt Moore but 'd like to see them take a chance on Sam Bradford. JMO

Surprised so many folks are thinking Sanchize... He's not coming.

Agreed. I don't believe it will happen. Much like the Marrone/Nassib speculation.

For anyone who is worried about Cutlers cap hit, his contract is essentially only guaranteed for 2015. After that it would be easy to cut him or restructure.

And for those voting for Bradford, just know that his cap hit for next year is essentially the same as Cutler's.

Cap has nothing to do with my distaste for Cutler.

I've tried some mock drafts already. Hamstrung by whether to look at 3-4 or 4-3, despite what Rex said today, I need to know to feed the computer the best info for our team.
Two mocks I like:
RD2-50
">Maxx Williams TE Minnesota http://youtu.be/AmZp3lwjilo
RD3-81 Jake Fisher LOT Oregon
RD5-129 (Mannion or Grayson QB here)
2 50 Landon Turner OG North Carolina
3 81 Duke Johnson RBF Miami (FL) or Mike Davis RBF South Carolina
4 110 Corey Robinson OT South Carolina
5 129 Bryce Petty QB Baylor or Garrett Grayson QB Colorado State
5 153 Jeff Heuerman TE Ohio St
6 178 Josh Tupou DT34 Colorado
7 210 Josh Shaw CB USC
2 50 Buffalo Duke Johnson RBF Miami (FL)
3 81 Buffalo Jake Fisher OT Oregon
4 110 Buffalo Shane Carden QB East Carolina
5 129 Buffalo Jeff Heuerman TE Ohio St
5 147 Buffalo Jordan Rigsbee OG California
6 178 Buffalo Josh Tupou DT34 Colorado
7 210 Buffalo Jalston Fowler FB Alabama
--Go Bills!
Dean Kindig, DraftTek Bills Analyst

I like the Maxx Williams in the 2nd rd but he may be available in rd 3, as well.

I would like AJ Cann- OG in the 2nd

Maxx Williams- TE - 3rd

Mannion - QB - 5th

Any downhill RB- 5th

Rex Ryan seemed very non-committal to EJ in his press conference today. It feels like there is a plan in motion to bring a new QB to Buffalo. Who do you think it will be?

I thought Rex Ryan and Whaley were both very committal about wanting competition and looking at all options. And that's how it should be.

I think that means they will bring in a vet, AND draft a rookie with a mid-round pick.

Also a lot for Matt Moore which I find equally surprising.

mmm, he hasn't started a game for 3 years, so I think the thinking is he's still got something in the tank. He's only 30. Last year he started (2011) he was quietly competent, racking up 60.5% completions, 16 TD and 9 INTs in 13 games (12 starts) and 7 AY/A. By all accounts he's got a good head and has been a good mentor to Tannehill.

I think it's pretty clear we're going to draft a rookie, and we have EJ as well. So I think those are the qualities we want in a vet: steady, dependable, good head, good mentor, competent NFL quarterback. Kind of like Fitz with a better arm and less interceptions. He ain't Tom Brady but he can manage a game and throw enough to keep the opponents honest.

Bradford has shown flashes of being a very good NFL QB and seems to be a very good man with his head together and screwed on right, but the quote from the GM in last Sunday's St Louis Post-Dispatch said it all: "we've played 26 games now without our starting QB". He's a very fragile reed to hang your hopes on. RGIII same thing but without the "very good NFL QB" of recent date.

Mark Sanchez sucked in NY and I didn't like what I heard about his inability to master the playbook. He played decently last year under Kelly, so he intrigued me. But having him here now that we've got Rex, with his wife wearing that Sanchez jersey tattood on his arm, would just feel too perverted to me.

I have seen very little of Hoyer. I have no opinion. He looks meh on paper. The aspect I really dislike is more TD than INTs, and <1 TD/game. That's never a good sign.

Eli Manning and Jay Cutler, way too expensive and either has-been or has-never-been. Having a QB that expensive while you're trying to build the roster (or add the last few pieces) is the path to Cap Hell. Brady, are you kidding me, just draft Mephistopheles and have him sign Faust as a guard.

I could be wrong, but I really don't think Foles, Glennon, Cousins, or Kaepernick are available without a very juicy trade. They are the best QB on their respective rosters right now in a QB-poor FA and draft class. Even if their teams draft someone else, the chances are very good they stay this year. In the case of Glennon and Cousins they are the EJ of their respective teams - some flashes, but the Baby hasn't emerged for inspection yet. Nothing there to justify handing over the juice.

Foles had a really nice year last year, really nice. Based on 2013, he might be worth something juicy, but he regressed a bit last year. I think the Iggles will want to keep him, and I'm not sure he's shown enough to justify what the Iggles would want in this Seller's Market, but he's the best of the lot IMO.

Edited by Hopeful

My plan as of today (subject to change) would be to sign Jake Locker and Colt McCoy. They both have played well but are injury prone as is perhaps EJ. Let them compete in TC for starter. Set the order based on competition (1, 2 or 3). Then when the first one gets hurt you got a really good backup. When the 2nd guy gets hurt you still got a good one. QB by committee if none of them can stay upright.

In 2013 in 7 games Jake Locker threw 8 TDs vs 4 Ints. 60.8% 6.9 YPA 86.7 Rate 1,256 yards. When healthy he's played well the last 2 years.

I like Mannion too. I also llike Grayson. List here http://www.drafttek.com/2015-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-QBs.asp

I've tried some mock drafts already. Hamstrung by whether to look at 3-4 or 4-3, despite what Rex said today, I need to know to feed the computer the best info for our team.

Two mocks I like:

RD2-50 Maxx Williams TE Minnesota

RD3-81 Jake Fisher LOT Oregon

RD5-129 (Mannion or Grayson QB here)

2 50 Landon Turner OG North Carolina

3 81 Duke Johnson RBF Miami (FL) or Mike Davis RBF South Carolina

4 110 Corey Robinson OT South Carolina

5 129 Bryce Petty QB Baylor or Garrett Grayson QB Colorado State

5 153 Jeff Heuerman TE Ohio St

6 178 Josh Tupou DT34 Colorado

7 210 Josh Shaw CB USC

2 50 Buffalo Duke Johnson RBF Miami (FL)

3 81 Buffalo Jake Fisher OT Oregon

4 110 Buffalo Shane Carden QB East Carolina

5 129 Buffalo Jeff Heuerman TE Ohio St

5 147 Buffalo Jordan Rigsbee OG California

6 178 Buffalo Josh Tupou DT34 Colorado

7 210 Buffalo Jalston Fowler FB Alabama

--Go Bills!

Dean Kindig, DraftTek Bills Analyst

Of course it will be a Williams!

I think that plan is "Man, we need to find someone competent to compete with Manuel because he isn't a sure thing. Man, we wish there was someone good available!"

Seriously, I think they'll try to get one of the FAs: Sanchez, Hoyer or Moore. I don't think that they'll be willing to pull a big trade for Bradford or Cutler as both have significant risks and would eat up a lot of valuable cap space in addition to what you'd have to give up in a trade for either.

Edited by OldTimer1960