"Bucket List" of Concert Venues

The Poojer

a lot of us seem to be really into music, I know i have a list of places i would like to see a live show, the list includes Brooklyn Bowl, Toads Place(New Haven, CT), Stone Pony(Asbury Park, NJ) Red Rocks. I am only interested in places still around, naturally CBGB's would be on there, but that simply isn't possible. And from my own perspective, I am talking about rock concerts, I could give a crap about seeing Yo Yo Ma at Carnegie Hall, not my cup of tea.

Doesn't have to be historic, just a great place that has great live music, I suppose i am talking about those places that attract known acts and not just every local band in that town, but hey, if it is a killer venue, please include it

Billy Bob's in Dallas isn't exactly historic, but I've heard it's great. I would have loved to go to one of the Filmores. Grand Ol' Opry.

There's this place in Winnie Texas, about halfway between Houston and Louisianna called Nutty Jerry's. Very small, cool place. I've seen Chuck Berry, Credence Clearwater Revisited (CCR's original drummer and bassist), REO Speedwagon, Ted Nugent (2x), and Willie Nelson. Got autographs from Chuck, CCR and REO. Got autographs from Ted's drummer, who was the original drummer from Dokken.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

Toad's Place really isnt anything special, really.

The 3 places I would recommend the most is Alpine Valley in East Troy, WI, Tower Theater in Upper Darby, PA (Philly), and Benaroya Hall in Seattle. Oh yeah, the Theater for the Performing Arts in Philly is an amazing place to see a show!

I really want to go to the Gorge sometime

coldplay08nb.jpg

Edited by May Day 10

I think Red Rocks tops the list for me.

BTW, just watched the CBGB movie the other day...entertaining in its own little way. I as well never saw a show there Pooj

Not on my bucket list as i have been to these places, but great places to see shows in DC to this day.I have not been to the 9;30 club in prolly 12 years, but wife went for a concert a few years back in the new space.

9:30 Club

Birchmere

Other closed places i would love to see another show

Kilimanjaro in DC..right down the street from where i lived...legendary artists and shows in the late 80's shows http://www.popville.com/2008/09/john-talks-history-about-the-area-that-is-now-occupied-by-the-gym-mint/

Harveys and Corky Stage One...saw the Police, Dr J and the Interns(aerosmith) , and many others there...would just remind me of my youth

Red Rocks, which I saw from a short distance on the night of a Radiohead concert that I did not attend.

Whisky a Go Go and the Roxy on Sunset Strip in L.A. I had my chance to go into them, but allowed myself to be talked into going to a !@#$ing Angels game instead. No one noteworthy was playing, but it still would have been cool to go. So I kick myself for being a "nice guy."

Those 3, off the top of my head.

(cool thread, by the way)

Funny, I've been in Philly for 5 years, seen plenty oof shows. Haven't been to the tower or TLA yet. My youngest went to a show at TLA during Christmas, but the old man hasn't

Toad's Place really isnt anything special, really.

The 3 places I would recommend the most is Alpine Valley in East Troy, WI, Tower Theater in Upper Darby, PA (Philly), and Benaroya Hall in Seattle. Oh yeah, the Theater for the Performing Arts in Philly is an amazing place to see a show!

I really want to go to the Gorge sometime

coldplay08nb.jpg

Have always wanted to see a show at Red Rocks.

A cool place I got to see a show at a few years ago is an 1878 Texas dance hall - Gruene Dance Hall. Didn't see a major act, but it was an unexpected place of awesomeness and local flavor. http://gruenehall.com/#rightnw

I've heard of it. If I recall, George strait got his start there.

the classics like red rocks and the gorge, of course. wanted to do a trip to the DBT homecoming shows at the 40 watt for a bit now.

good jumping off point with this top 50 list:

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/05/the-50-best-concert-venues-in-america/

though they definitely missed it on some with examples like HOB New Orleans over Tipitinas. If i guessed, id take a shot that they went heavy with livenation venues, but not totally familiar with who LN has under its umbrella nationally these days.

Love me some DBT!!!

the classics like red rocks and the gorge, of course. wanted to do a trip to the DBT homecoming shows at the 40 watt for a bit now.

good jumping off point with this top 50 list:
http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/05/the-50-best-concert-venues-in-america/

though they definitely missed it on some with examples like HOB New Orleans over Tipitinas. If i guessed, id take a shot that they went heavy with livenation venues, but not totally familiar with who LN has under its umbrella nationally these days.

I completely get your sentiment, but as far as my tastes go, that just isn't possible, dmb, dead, festivals, i am not going to miss out on shows like that simply because they have larger crowds

I will probably never see a place that seats more than a few thousand again.

But I'll put Red Rocks on my bucket list.

I completely get your sentiment, but as far as my tastes go, that just isn't possible, dmb, dead, festivals, i am not going to miss out on shows like that simply because they have larger crowds

Believe it or not the venue drives the experience as much as the band. I'm not a huge STS9 fan but saw them up front at the Fox and loved it. Since I started being up front against the stage last year for me that's the only way to go.

House of Blues is a chain. I've only been to the Houston location, but I've never seen a bad show there. And generally cheap, because the GA is on the floor SRO near the stage, which is where I like to be anyway. The expensive seats are in the balcony. I always get there early and get right up close. Seen Ted Nugent, Buddy Guy (Twice), Doobie Brothers, Thorogood, and a bunch of surprisingly good tribute bands.