I'm sorry, but I think we took a big step back

Virgil

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It will not take two years, or even one off season, to change schemes. Personnel doesn't need to be changed.

But otherwise, you're spot on. :lol:

Sorry bro. I coached 17 years in high school and JC and my son is coaching college ball in N,C and the thought that it will take less than an off season is simply ignorant. Harder even than in the pros than college due to restrictions in acquiring good talent. But otherwise you're spot on.

Sorry bro. I coached 17 years in high school and JC and my son is coaching college ball in N,C and the thought that it will take less than an off season is simply ignorant. Harder even than in the pros than college due to restrictions in acquiring good talent. But otherwise you're spot on.

I've coached as well, and played. Professionals have more time, more experience and can adapt faster than college, HS or JC players. Especially when they're one year removed from the system, and Rex doesn't run a rigid 3-4.

But nice try.

I've coached as well, and played. Professionals have more time, more experience and can adapt faster than college, HS or JC players. Especially when they're one year removed from the system, and Rex doesn't run a rigid 3-4.

But nice try.

Didn't Rex say he isn't going to completely overhaul the D and go to a 3-4? Or I was I drunk when I heard that?

Didn't Rex say he isn't going to completely overhaul the D and go to a 3-4? Or I was I drunk when I heard that?

He did basically say he'd fit the scheme to the players, not the other way around. So I'd hardly expect a "my way or the highway" complete overhaul.

He absolutely said it. He said he runs both and the gameplan will change each week. There isn't going to be a major overhaul in philosophy, scheme or personnel. Yes, there will be some LBs and NTs probably added to suit some of the things he wants to do, but we're talking depth type guys. The angst over a scheme change on the defensive side of the ball is really being overblown.

These guys are pros, they've changed systems 3 times in the past three years and still have fielded excellent defenses. That trend will only continue with Rex calling the shots, if not improve.

He did basically say he'd fit the scheme to the players, not the other way around. So I'd hardly expect a "my way or the highway" complete overhaul.

He said they would have every scheme in the book, in the book, and they would use whatever D was best to attack the opposing team week-to-week. I like that.

I like Rex better than Doug but I don't know how much it matters - coaches are like cooks to me a bad one can have all the ingredients and still make slop but even a great one can't make apple pie without apples - talent loss/acquisition and injuries are the big factor rather than a coach, IMO a great coach is good for an extra win over an average coach but a coach who loses the locker room could give you 10 extra losses.

All coaches these days say they're going to be flexible and not be married to a particular scheme. It seems par-for-the-course for introductory press conferences. In the end, though, the coaches will revert to their tendencies.

Luckily, Rex's tendencies have generated very good defenses. Expect a lot of 3-4 and expect it to do well.

For example, weren't we worried about Schwartz changing up Pettine's scheme too much? And when HE was introduced, I'm almost certain Schwartz said he was flexible and stuff. But Schwartz ended up implementing his scheme wholesale, which worked out well, because he had a lot of great talent that fit it.

You realize that this past year was their first year with Schwartz? And that the year before that, they had Pettine, who basically runs Rex's defense? So how exactly did they field the 4th best defense this past year if it's so hard to change systems?

I see all of this excitement and optimism but I just can't join in. And for the most part, I agree with most of the ESPN commentators when they talk about this change. I think we made a poor decision based upon our situation and are essentially throwing away any progress we made last year.

When I think about how the season ended and where we were at in terms of progression:

• Best record in over a decade
  • Best defense in over a decade
  • Year two of consistency
  • Declining Offense with no answer at QB

Based off of that, what did we improve?

• We brought in a defensive minded coach who runs a completely different scheme. A coach that ran a defense that made Kyle Orton look like Aaron Rodgers. I mean, we shredded them TWICE. A defense that was terrible against the run. Also, in making this change, we are going back to playing people out of position and reducing players like Hughes to situational pass rushers
    • This is speculation, but I'm also afraid that we are going to have to waste FA money and draft picks to bring in people to fit this scheme.
  • Offensively, we brought in an offensive coordinator who had Kaep regress under his watch. And sorry, but Kaep is better than EJ. They were terrible in the passing game with legit receivers and a Pro-Bowl TE. I get that they played elite defenses, but this is the NFL and no one is a cake walk. He produces a running game, but is based upon an offensive line that probably won't be able to be reproduced here with our talent for a little while.
End of the day, while personnel is a big factor, scheme and coaching is too. When the season ended, would you have wanted the San Fran offense and the Jets defense to replace our team? I would say no 10 times out of 10.

I get it. Fresh start, new players to them. But these are big leaps of faith that we can have the running game being promised and that the final 3 years of Rex's coaching career were the anomaly compared to his first 3 years as a head coach.

Again, I want to be optimistic but we basically gutted our strength and reinforced our weakness.

I loved constantly punting on 4th and 1 inside the opponents territory with playoffs on the line said no one ever....the only thing that made this team what it was is directly Schwarz....im glad Marrone is gone he sucks as a coach.

Rex is going to run a hybrid D based on confusing the offense. It won't be as much 3-4 or 4-3 as it will be tailored to the opponent. I don't think he will rely on the front 4 as much and I think that will impact whether they throw big $ at Hughes. I think Lawson and Robey could have bigger roles like they did in 2013. I think we need another DT. Gilmore, AW and Duke Williams will fit what he likes to do. Not sure if we sign Searcy who I think is an underrated FA and will let get a decent contract somewhere.

Our Lb group will be awesome. We will sign either Spikes or David Harris.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I agree with OP. This is step sideways. I'm ambivalent toward the hire... might as well be Marrone and Co. This changes nothing. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

That said, if they go out and get 2 solid starting Gs and a legit vet QB, then that would be progress... but until that happens, there is no scheme or coach who can hide that fact that this team has no starting Gs and no starting QB on it's roster.

Edited by pi2000

Forced to act, we took aa veteran coach whose been around, knows a lot about the entire game.

Glad we are not starting with a rookie coach again. That would have been unsettling and start over again.

Ryan will know what to do about OL. Can these guys improve?

He probably knows every player and their skills in the league.

I agree with OP. This is step sideways. I'm ambivalent toward the hire... might as well be Marrone and Co. This changes nothing. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

That said, if they go out and get 2 solid starting Gs and a legit vet QB, then that would be progress... but until that happens, there is no scheme or coach who can hide that fact that this team has no starting Gs and no starting QB on it's roster.

Didn't you see the press conference? Ryan has charisma! He has charm! He commands the room!

I mean heck, he was referencing Cookie Gilchrist and the Electric Company!

He said he wants to whoop New England's butt, and he is going to build a bully!

Don't you see, like most posters here, that these words and attitude alone are good for 10 to 12 wins next year?