Whaley's job is safe

rafter

The question is who has final call on personnel. It might be Rex. That might have been the carrot that closed the deal. That would put Doug under Rex. Doug and the pro personnel scouts have done good work. Does Rex dictate what he needs and Doug finds it?

Whaley does.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If true, this is fantastic. I hope Rex and Doug have become "fast friends."

Let's hope they've put their relationship on a sound footing.

QB is still a huge question mark. Urbik and Pears are bad players. His job may be safe for now, but I don't think that fact is synonymous with him having a lot of time to bolster the talent on offense enough to make the playoffs. Anything less than 9-7 next season would be on Whaley in my book.

I don't think they're bad players when they're playing their position. They're not stars. They're more the "dependable backup" type. Pears is not a guard, Period. There were attempts made to upgrade RT last year with Kouandjio and Henderson. The real holes were at guard.

I will be disappointed if the Bills don't make every effort to fill them.

Excellent news, albeit not unexpected. Whaley's done a fantastic job and deserves more time. Certainly you can debate the merits of the trade up for Watkins, but apart from that he's added a tremendous amount of talent in a short period of time. The roster still has holes of course, but it's deep and talented on defense and has been stockpiling skill players on offense. I'm excited to see what Doug has in store for the coming off season.

QB is still a huge question mark. Urbik and Pears are bad players. His job may be safe for now, but I don't think that fact is synonymous with him having a lot of time to bolster the talent on offense enough to make the playoffs. Anything less than 9-7 next season would be on Whaley in my book.

ya year 3 roster is loaded overall...few weak sports inparticular guard like 29 other nfl teams and no qb like 24 others

I'm still holding out hope that the team hires a president of football operations while keeping Whaley. The Bills still need to fix that scouting dept. Perhaps Bill Polian will now look at the Bills as a "light lift" again.

Wha? The scouting department was vastly expanded and revamped when Brandon was GM. Since then, the drafts and the pro signings have been stellar. Or do you think guys like Woods & Alonso, Hughes & Spikes just showed up on their own?

Re offensive line, if they go out and get two good guards (say, a big FA and 2nd round pick), then don't we suddenly become stacked on the line? You get Urbik and Richardson as backups, and pears as a backup swing tackle, and the line is deep too.

you mean Hairston as swing tackle.

Don't you ?

I dont mind keeping Urbik another season , but Pears is a broken man after what Marrone did to him.

I think Chris Williams needs an upgrade if indeed he will try to play through the back issue. I think we better get a rookie UDFA BU center too.

and spend on a FA guard too. At least that Boling or better yet Lupati.

Whaley can prove himself just by focusing on the Offense and maintaining the defense contracts well.

i am not sold , but if we compare him to the previous regimes he is a bit of fresh air , and is growing into the position still.

But i am rooting for him !

Re offensive line, if they go out and get two good guards (say, a big FA and 2nd round pick), then don't we suddenly become stacked on the line? You get Urbik and Richardson as backups, and pears as a backup swing tackle, and t he line is deep too.

I like Whaley a lot but his performance this past offseason in regards to addressing the needs of the OL was horrible. He drafted Kugo in the second round. Not only was he not ready to play but if he wasn't such a high draft choice he would have been cut early in training camp.

In the 5th round he selected OG Richardson. He was overwhelmed. Some analytics indicated that he was the worst LG in the league when he was playing. His play was so inept that he was replaced and didn't see the field again.

Whaley's best offensive lineman selection in the draft was Henderson. He has physical tools but he struggled all season long. Although he has potential he wasn't ready to play this season.

Ozzie Newsome of the Ravens selected John Urschel from Penn State in the 5th round. He was a Buffalo native who went to Canisius H.S. He is a mathematical genius who could have gone to Harvard or MIT. He ended up starting for the Ravens in the playoffs and outperformed all of our linemen, including the veterans' When it comes to evaluating offensive linemen prospects Whaley did a very poor job for us last year.

Wha? The scouting department was vastly expanded and revamped when Brandon was GM. Since then, the drafts and the pro signings have been stellar. Or do you think guys like Woods & Alonso, Hughes & Spikes just showed up on their own?

Nix did the revamping after he took over for Brandon. Bringing in whaley was part of that revamp.

So Whaley will fail to bring in talent is what you're saying?

No. I like Whaley and I think in general he has done a good job. But Rex is the wrong HC hire. Maybe the Pegulas were leaning on him to make the sexy hire of the Big Name, like they did with LaFontaine for the Sabres.

I'm saying Rex is not taking this team to the playoffs. He has a terrible record developing an offensive system and a QB. The Bills DID NOT NEED the things Ryan is bringing. He was the wrong hire for this team at this time.

Of course I could be wrong, and I'll be pulling for them, but I have NO faith in Ryan. None.

No. I like Whaley and I think in general he has done a good job. But Rex is the wrong HC hire. Maybe the Pegulas were leaning on him to make the sexy hire of the Big Name, like they did with LaFontaine for the Sabres.

I'm saying Rex is not taking this team to the playoffs. He has a terrible record developing an offensive system and a QB. The Bills DID NOT NEED the things Ryan is bringing. He was the wrong hire for this team at this time.

Of course I could be wrong, and I'll be pulling for them, but I have NO faith in Ryan. None.

Well he finally gets to pick his OC so maybe that will help. An Offensive HC would have the same problems and I don't want a trial and error OC first time HC.

It's just as easy to argue that maybe Rex didn't choose the best coordinators, although Morinwheg had a lot of success elsewhere. But he was never given a QB by management and their skill players mostly sucked, too. He got to the Championship with a horrible QB twice.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Well he finally gets to pick his OC so maybe that will help. An Offensive HC would have the same problems and I don't want a trial and error OC first time HC.

This is something i am on board with. An OC as a first time head coach for the Bills. The Reich idea was absurd. no offense Frank : )

But if we are losing schwartz i think we justed wasted a known quantity. and damned fine one at that.

We shall see what Rex wants to build and it better be an offense !

I like Whaley a lot but his performance this past offseason in regards to addressing the needs of the OL was horrible. He drafted Kugo in the second round. Not only was he not ready to play but if he wasn't such a high draft choice he would have been cut early in training camp.In the 5th round he selected OG Richardson. He was overwhelmed. Some analytics indicated that he was the worst LG in the league when he was playing. His play was so inept that he was replaced and didn't see the field again.Whaley's best offensive lineman selection in the draft was Henderson. He has physical tools but he struggled all season long. Although he has potential he wasn't ready to play this season.Ozzie Newsome of the Ravens selected John Urschel from Penn State in the 5th round. He was a Buffalo native who went to Canisius H.S. He is a mathematical genius who could have gone to Harvard or MIT. He ended up starting for the Ravens in the playoffs and outperformed all of our linemen, including the veterans' When it comes to evaluating offensive linemen prospects Whaley did a very poor job for us last year.

Richardson and Kouandjio were two of the best linemen in each respective conference. Was it Whaley's drafting or poor coaching? We'll see under Rex

As far as I'm concerned, Whaley's job should never have been in question. The question should be "Who did Marrone think he was"? I've yet to see a situation where the coach thought he was bigger than the GM.

I dont really consider Urbick to be a bad player...he just isnt a REALLY GOOD player......

More like.....a dependable backup that can play both OG and C

Actually, Urbick graded out well at RG in 2011, 2012, and 2013. So, what does Marrone do? He doesn't play him for half the year and, when he does, he plays him at LG, where he graded out much worse. Why? Because he is playing Pears at RG instead of RT where he at least had graded out as adequate in 2011, 2012, and 2013.