Whaley's job is safe

rafter

I think Whaley and Rex could work. Was watching the Jets Hard Knocks season last night again. In the first episode, Rex is joking with Mike Tannenbaum about getting to have one draft pick. Rex selects John Connor as a late pick because he likes how physical he is.

What this says to me is while Rex will ask for players to run his scheme he doesn't think he's some NFL scouting master and will for the most part leave that alone. I do think Whaley should let Rex pick a guy with the 7th round pick just to keep his hands off the rest of the draft!

Holy Crap! Does Rex really have the time to research a draft class so thoroughly that he knows who to pick in the 7th round.

Yeah, I get it's a throwaway pick anyway. But I still think the Bills should let Rex do what he's good at (coaching) and let Whaley do what he's good at (player personnel).

But it will be interesting to see how the Ryan-Whaley dynamic works out. Every HC worries about having a good GM who gets good talent for him. I think Rex probably worried more than most after the hell of working with John Idzik. It seems that Rex taking the job with the Bills is a vote of confidence for DW.

Edited by hondo in seattle

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But it will be interesting to see how the Ryan-Whaley dynamic works out. .... It seems that Rex taking the job with the Bills is a vote of confidence for DW.

A significant mutual respect has already developed between the two. Probably because they have views on the game of football that are VERY compatible.

It's already light years better than what was going on with Marrone.