Chan Gailey to Cleveland Browns?

Wayne Cubed

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you can cite specific plays that didn't work, but you're ignoring that the Bills would score 30 some points most games. The problem was we allowed 40 some.

What? Specific plays? I can cite specific games and thirds of the season where the Gailey offense didn't work. Your post should be, "imagine Gailey's offense of the second half of the 2011 Pats game and this D?"

Chan's offense looked good until he met the worst kind of defense: Film.

Or could it be he was limited by Fitz and not great Wrs? I think Gailey is a very good offensive coach. I think he is so good he settles for Qbs and Wrs because he feels he can coach then up.

I'd love to see him here. But he would be a good hire for any team. I think Manziel is a terrible NFL qb but Gailey will maximize his talent.

Yes you can cite specific plays that didn't work, but you're ignoring that the Bills would score 30 some points most games. The problem was we allowed 40 some.

Most games? They eclipsed 30 points 7 times in the 3 years Chan was here. They failed to score more than 10 points 11 times in the 3 years. They also didn't score an offensive touchdown in 5 games. His average PPG in the 3 years was 20.8. It's been 21.5 under Marrone.

Like I said revisionist history

I think the Browns have more talent on offense than we do.

They have a better oline. I think our rbs and Wrs as a whole are slightly better. And EJ looked much better than Johnny Hobbit as a rookie.

It's clise but I think we have the slight edge.

Most games? They eclipsed 30 points 7 times in the 3 years Chan was here. They failed to score more than 10 points 11 times in the 3 years. They also didn't score an offensive touchdown in 5 games. His average PPG in the 3 years was 20.8. It's been 21.5 under Marrone.

A better defense helps an offense. Our defense was awful under Gailey and hurt the offense. Our highest drafted wr was a 7th rounder.

Also, we pretty much scored 30+ points under Marrone against one team, the Jets.

I think this is a bit of revisionist history. Chan's offense was just as frustrating. Remember when he would spread the ball out and throw on 3rd and 1? He was almost always throwing on short yardage. He had multiple games where the offense failed to score more than 10 pts. It also took him 2 years to figure out how to use the guy he wanted to draft.

And remember how frustrated everyone was when Spiller was averaging 6 yards a carry but only getting 10-12 touches a game? The "winded" comments as to why he was pulled after long runs?

Bingo.

A few folks here apply how the Bills looked at the 5-2 start under Chan to his whole regime. An inaccurate picture to say the least.

They have a better oline. I think our rbs and Wrs as a whole are slightly better. And EJ looked much better than Johnny Hobbit as a rookie.

It's clise but I think we have the slight edge.

A better defense helps an offense. Our defense was awful under Gailey and hurt the offense. Our highest drafted wr was a 7th rounder.

Also, we pretty much scored 30+ points under Marrone against one team, the Jets.

I'm not saying Marrone is better, but surely if he is an offensive genius as some have you believe, he should have been able to score at least a TD in those 5 games where he scored none. The offense still got the ball right? It was 7-0 at one point in those games, why didn't Chans amazing offense march down the field and score? How did the defense stop them from doing that?

What? Specific plays? I can cite specific games and thirds of the season where the Gailey offense didn't work. Your post should be, "imagine Gailey's offense of the second half of the 2011 Pats game and this D?"

I just refreshed my memory looking at the 2011 stats. Chan first five games were his golden period. 4 games over 30 points.

I assumed the Chan offense that year outscored the 2014 Bills a mile, but that wasn't the case.

Points for-vs-against:

2011: 372-434

2014: 343-289

Edited by PromoTheRobot

But damn, those first 3 games of 2011 were great offensively! :lol:

Chan is a classy guy - his press conference upon learning he had been fired will always stick in my mind. Classy thing to do. I wish him nothing but the best, and after all we don't play the Brownies next year for the first time in forever.... because whilst they are still their division's bottom dwellers we are not ours. I don't see him making Johnny an NFL QB however.

Don't the first two games that season (KC,OAK) count?

Sure they do. But 50-3 against Seattle and SF also count. Chan calling for Fitz to throw 20 yards downfield with the lead against Tennessee counts. Scoring 14 down 40 to inflate your offensive numbers in that 2012 season opener against the eventual 6-10 Jets counts.

A competent defense would have helped. That's the thing with us. We are always good on one side of the ball and crappy on the other. Imagine Chan's offense with this D?

Chan's offense was quickly figured out. How do people not remember this? Once DB's started jamming our WR's at the line, it was all over. That was right about the time we imploded and lost what, 8 of the last 9 games in 2011?

Thank you. I'm always so blown away by all of the Chan love on this board. I just remember feeling like our offense was playing in an 8 yard box.

now we get to see what the 2013 Buffalo Bills might have been if we kept Chan and Fitz and then added Pettine as DC when he became available. Fitz = Hoyer imo so I think our rosters would be pretty comparable to Cleveland's if we stayed the course