Did Polian bury Marrone?

agreed. While I believe he did tell Pegula what Marrone told him as this has been corroborated by various sources, I don't think it is part of the reason he did not come on board. Whether or not Polian was trying to bury Marrone by doing it, I don't know - I think it's more logical that polian had developed a professional relationship with Pegula and was passing along some "consultative" info, free of charge.

I would like to think this to be true

Hmmm....Father Knows best - never would have guessed that one....

Even if Marrone called him, I'm sure we wouldn't have given his last F&*k

I am certain Polian gave them advice and may still be for all we know

This also works for me.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the timing of everything is fishy as to Marrone's intentions. The media leak that he had the opt out came the day after the season ended. This was to plant the seed that he could leave if there was an opportunity, which was why his agent had Schefter report there would be interest in him if he opted out. He tried to use the media to put pressure on the Pegulas for when he planned to ask for his extension and control over the 53. It didn't work. In the meantime the Jets are likely calling his agent, probably impressed with he rolled them 3 straight times.

What the Jets didn't anticipate is the PR nightmare that would go along with hiring him, revealed after he opted out. They just had a terrible season and fired a pretty well liked coach and now they were faced with mounting negativity already about a hire that is supposed to incite confidence and positivity - not a good sign. Plus they were trying to also a hire a GM and had 2 candidates decline to interview - could they have been less than thrilled about working with Marrone after hearing of his power play in Bflo.;

I would like to know how the media found out about his contract opt out clause. Remember when Marrone said that he never discusses his contract? So how did the media know about that? Did Marrone lie about it? Hmm..... Edited by Rockinon

I would like to know how the media found out about his contract opt out clause. Remember when Marrone said that he never discusses his contract? So how did the media know about that? Did Marrone lie about it? Hmm.....

agent. And you're right, he was so adamant that he never discusses his contract. He's just extremely calculated.

1) it's not like they ever thought someone would rat them out.

2) it's probably not like they needed incentive. I imagine they were just talking to each other and rumors of Polian coming back were being talked about, and they were just telling stories about Polian being an ass to them or other people. Then Marrone just told Polian these guys were badmouthing you.

3) I agree with you. Polian probably didn't care. And most of these guys are going to be gone I assume whether he came or not. I sincerely doubt that had any affect on his decision at all.

I agree that he didn't care what those guys were saying. I think he DID care that Marrone thought he could sabotage the organization on his way out by using him as a pawn.

I agree that he didn't care what those guys were saying. I think he DID care that Marrone thought he could sabotage the organization on his way out by using him as a pawn.

That could be. Although his comments about it didn't seem like he was pissed at Marrone. He made it sound like since Marrone wasn't there he was less enthusiastic for the job.

I like Polian, but he is a master manipulator. That's one of the reasons he was a great GM. What he said was all designed for the HOF. But if he was pissed at Marrone for bashing his beloved Bills, I very seriously doubt he would have couched it like he did.

People do not like a rat, he should have kept quiet until after getting a HC position.I am sure Terry returned the favour by texting or calling all the other owners looking for a HC on the damage this man cause during his time with the Bills.

Terry wouldn't need to. The organizations who are interviewing Marrone probably reached out to him if they were doing proper diligence. I wonder, though, if the NFL is a normal work environment. True, nobody likes a rat. But if Marrone has a friend or someone familiar with him doing the hiring (a la Pace in Chicago) would his burning bridges in Buff mean anything in that case?

Terry wouldn't need to. The organizations who are interviewing Marrone probably reached out to him if they were doing proper diligence. I wonder, though, if the NFL is a normal work environment. True, nobody likes a rat. But if Marrone has a friend or someone familiar with him doing the hiring (a la Pace in Chicago) would his burning bridges in Buff mean anything in that case?

i think in that case, it would depend on how good Pace thought he was and whether it was worth it. 10 years ago that manish Mehta article wouldn't have gone viral. Maybe people in NYC talk about it, but bears fans and national media maybe miss it. The problem is that Marrone's rep is tarnished in the public eye and, sometimes, perception is everything.

This is Pace's first coaching hire and I am sure he wants to be very careful that he not only gets it right, but doesn't have to deal with a ton of negative questioning right off the bat about Marrone from fans, media - maybe even players - about the guy. If he feels confident he is a great coach and fit for his team, he may not care and think its worth wading through the negative in the beginning to get to other side.

There is also probably a part of Pace, who is embarking on his first GM role and has control of all football ops, that the fact Marrone went to the owner asking for more control over personnel after 2 years and seemingly undermining the GM... May not seem appealing.

Edited by YoloinOhio

i think in that case, it would depend on how good Pace thought he was and whether it was worth it. 10 years ago that manish Mehta article wouldn't have gone viral. Maybe people in NYC talk about it, but bears fans and national media maybe miss it. The problem is that Marrone's rep is tarnished in the public eye and, sometimes, perception is everything. This is Pace's first coaching hire and I am sure he wants to be very careful that he not only gets it right, but doesn't have to deal with a ton of negative questioning right off the bat about Marrone from fans, media - maybe even players - about the guy. If he feels confident he is a great coach and fit for his team, he may not care and think its worth wading through the negative in the beginning to get to other side.

Not to mention that Pace knew him and worked with him when he was Curtis Modkins and an underling. Who doesn't know or have observed someone who was very good at his job or pretty decent person as an underling but give them a bit of power and success and suddenly they are a completely different animal and transform into an egotistical ass.

I will add a bit more:

So the Jets obviously wanted him and knew he could opt out. They leak word to his agent.

Now what do the Jets EXPECT from Marrone? Something like Harbaugh. Call a quick presser on the 31st or 1st, make a short statement announcing that you are opting out due to differences, but you want to thank the organization, fans, players, etc. Maybe answer a question or two and give the standard non-answers. Then you walk out of town with your head held high.

At the VERY least release a statement to the same effect. In short, be a man with class. Act like a professional.

Instead, Marrone did EVERYTHING wrong. He released no "thank you" to the organization and fans (who cares if it's genuine, you just do it). He then left it to the PR man to text his players. THEN he went about bashing the organization and generally acting petty and vindictive.

So if you're the Jets you are probably shocked. You sort of have to go through with the interview but now you have some tough questions, starting with "WTF?!"

Marrone of course handles those questions in typical Marrone fashion: dismissive of the need to be diplomatic, blunt, and probably does more bashing of the Bills in the interview.

So that's how it goes "worse than bad" very quickly. Marrone probably felt like he was opting out to a done deal with the Jets and carried himself as such the entire time (which explains his total lack of diplomacy on the way out the door here).

His griping to Polian was a VERY bad move. Polian had some of the greatest moments of his personal and professional life here. I think any praise Polian gave Marrone during the season was laregly due to his happiness to see his beloved Bills winning and in the hunt again.

Marrone went against the family. He ought to watch more movies to know that is a bad idea (or just take a page from Harbuagh's book). Even Harbaugh (who was barely on speaking terms with the Sf front office) exited with class and dignity.

I am pretty sure the Jets expected the same and were shocked with how Marrone handled his exit. Of course they tampered and meant to "steal him" but they also expected him to say and do all the right things.

Marrone really, really screwed up his career.

I think this is probably exactly how it happened. I like this theory.

i think in that case, it would depend on how good Pace thought he was and whether it was worth it. 10 years ago that manish Mehta article wouldn't have gone viral. Maybe people in NYC talk about it, but bears fans and national media maybe miss it. The problem is that Marrone's rep is tarnished in the public eye and, sometimes, perception is everything.

This is Pace's first coaching hire and I am sure he wants to be very careful that he not only gets it right, but doesn't have to deal with a ton of negative questioning right off the bat about Marrone from fans, media - maybe even players - about the guy. If he feels confident he is a great coach and fit for his team, he may not care and think its worth wading through the negative in the beginning to get to other side.

There is also probably a part of Pace, who is embarking on his first GM role and has control of all football ops, that the fact Marrone went to the owner asking for more control over personnel after 2 years and seemingly undermining the GM... May not seem appealing.

True. But Marrone and Pace were part of that New Orleans tree. Will be interesting for sure.

I see no reason for Polian to be mad at Doug Maronne. If he's mad at anyone, isn't it far more likely the people who were bad mouthing him?

also not sure how Doug has been "bashing" the bills. I haven't followed every story so could be wrong, but it seems to all stem from that original story about Doug telling his friend, in confidence, that some of the Bills front office were "bad mouthing" him. Which some writers decided to make more exciting by describing as doug "bashing" the bills. Which other writers parroted enough that it became truth-y.

Not to mention that Pace knew him and worked with him when he was Curtis Modkins and an underling. Who doesn't know or have observed someone who was very good at his job or pretty decent person as an underling but give them a bit of power and success and suddenly they are a completely different animal and transform into an egotistical ass.

This is what Jay Glazer said in an interview with Mike Francesa on WFAN. He's known Marrone for years, and that Marrone changed once he became a HC.

True. But Marrone and Pace were part of that New Orleans tree. Will be interesting for sure.

They were, and he may think highly of Marrone from his time there, and Sean Payton may think highly of Marrone from his time there, and Payton could tell Pace he thinks he'd be a good fit. But sometimes a brand new GM wants to blaze his own trail. I would not be surprised to see the Bears hire a Pep Hamilton or Taryl Austin.

This is what Jay Glazer said in an interview with Mike Francesa on WFAN. He's known Marrone for years, and that Marrone changed once he became a HC.

Interesting. Thx for that. I think it happens all the time. That's why I am always suspect when writers, announcers or pundits link two guys that worked together a decade ago and automatically assume they are a perfect match. A lot can happen in a decade.

Much has been made of the story that Marrone bashed the Bills to Polian which made Bill decline to come here.

However, having listened to Polian on Sirius all season, and reading his explanation for not coming here another thought came to mind.

Polian loves the Bills, just didn't want to do the heavy lifting now required. And he was disgusted with Marrone for quitting in them AND then insulting people whom Polian has a lot of respect for.

Accept the premise that Marrone bashed the Bills in speaking w Polian.

Who knew that other than the two men? Nobody, until Polian spoke about it. Either he or Marrone was the source of that story.

Who did it hurt? Marrone. Not Polian. Not the Bills. It just made Marrone look petty. After all, he quit!

I think St. Doug just realized how much truth there is in the idea if the Bills family.

This is nonsensical, born of a desire to balance the respect universally held for Polian and the current outrage at Marrone. Tim Graham is the guy who reported the story. He wrote that "...according to a well placed source....Marrone convinced Polian the job wasn't worth the effort.." And your theory is that somehow, Polian believed Marrone enough to change his mind and not take the job but was so outraged at Marrone that he reported that info to the press?? So Polian relies on the information he got from Marrone but is so angry at the guy for warning him off a bad job that he rewards him by leaking info that hurts Marrone's ability to get another job??? Yeah, that makes perfect sense. In the same story Graham writes "that Polian had an affinity for Marrone was no secret..." and confirms that one of the main reasons he didn't take the job was because Marrone left. Graham characterized the conversation as "firebombing the organization" but Adam Begnini described the conversation with a little less hype stating only that "I'm told that communication with Marrone was likely key in Polian's final decision not to come."

Out of all that you bake up a theory that Polian tries to burn the career of the guy whose advice on the Bills he just took, the guy he recently said should be coach of the year and the guy whose absence is why he decided to stick with ESPN.

I know, its weird. You love Polian and you hate, hate, hate Marrone. But Polian likes Marrone, so how do you put those two conflicting thoughts in your head without it boiling over? Come up with a crack pot bowl of nonsense that says good old Billy P. burned the career of Mr. Obviously. Marrone is a jerk, granted, but Polian liked him and would have taken the job if Marrone hadn't made the crazy, dastardly, cowardly, morally bankrupt but mathematically sound decision that $4Million and a new job was a better deal for him than no $4Million and only one more year of job security.

Stop the ridiculous soap opera, already! The titles of these threads is like something from the Days of our Lives. It's simple. Marrone opted out because he was hired to revive the offense then was hamstrung by Whaley. Marrone didn't want EJ and he didn't want to give up the 1st round pick for Watkins. That's it. He wanted more control over these decisions and the Bills said no. I remember when EJ was drafted many posters said that he and Marrone were married to each other in terms of their future. It turns out that it was a shotgun wedding. That's it!...was it Parcells who said "if you want me to cook the meal you have to let me pick the food"?

However I am working on the theory that it was Marrone, not the North Koreans, who hacked SONY.....

Cannot recall where and when Coach Parcells tip-toed out of town like a mouse with a mere shallow text.

There are genuine stand up guys loyal to the very end, and then there's Doug "3 & Out Shuffle" Marrone's way of handling things.

A smart, innovative HC could elevate EJ's game in his sleep. Thank goodness Marrone and his inept OC weren't around years earlier to impede Jim Plunkett's Super Bowl win.