Bills fear Rex is leery about quarterback situation

HOUSE

Sorry if already posted (search shows it wasn't) but worth the discussion........

How dare he question Doug Whaley's #1 draft pick !!!!

Per a league source, the Bills are concerned that Ryan won’t be interested in taking on a team with an unsettled (and not easily fixed) quarterback situation. SNIP>

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/07/bills-fear-rex-is-leery-about-quarterback-situation/

---

I think the Bills should be leery of hiring a Jackass for a coach who also never actually fielded an above average offense. If we replace Marrone with Rex.....meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Edited by Garranimal

Any potential HC candidate is going to be leery about the QB situation, they’d be crazy not to be. Everyone knows it a QB driven league and the teams that are on top year after year are the ones with a franchise guy. I can almost guarantee you that the Jets are having the same issue and the Bears and 49ers may be as well, albeit to a lesser extent. So of course Whaley is talking up EJ to the potential candidates. He has to because as of right now, we have no other options and limited ability to bring in anyone that is obviously better. Any QB in FA or that we can trade for will have some of the same question marks that EJ does. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t be available. Any QB we can draft probably will have more question marks than EJ does. All of the HC candidates know this. If Whaley was trashing EJ to them, we’d have no shot at any decent candidate. I don’t fault Whaley for not wanting to give up on EJ just yet. I’m still in the group that believes we really don’t know yet what we have in him. IMO, 14 starts spread out over 2 seasons is not enough to determine if the guy is a bust or not. There have been too many QBs in this league’s history that took a few seasons before they were able to put it all together. Mind you, some of those guys are in the HOF now. (Not saying I think EJ will be on that level)

Whaley’s not going anywhere this offseason, nor do I think he should. There is no way he’d be leading the coaching search if there was any possibility of him being let go. Whaley has been a part of assembling a decent roster and probably has roughly the same rate of success/failure in player evaluation as most other GMs/teams do. A LOT of other GMs throughout the history of this league have whiffed on a QB in the draft.

Of course Rex, and any potential HC, would worry about the unsettled QB situation here. HC candidates always worry about how much talent a team has. Especially when HCs these days typically get only about 3 years to turn a team around.

Let's be honest, just as many coaches get canned because they don't have enough player talent as get canned for their own ineptitude. Probably more. (As an aside, maybe that's why it may be a bad idea to the have the HC work for the GM - GMs use HCs as scapegoats for their own failures).

The problem for HC candidates is that there are only 32 HC jobs and maybe only 6 HC openings each year. Getting one of those 6 openings is highly competitive. And of the 6 openings, maybe only 1 of them is on a team that can compete right now. The other 5 are devoid of high performing stars - that's why the previous HC was fired.

It seems to me, QB problem or not, the Bills are this year's can-compete-right-now team.

I don't want Rex, and if he's a little more sensitive about QBs than the average coach, I get it - but if he doesn't want to coach here, he's a fool.

I'm sure he's not forcing EJ on anybody. But if the chatter is true that he speaks of him in glowing terms, that would be enough to scare off a coach who is wary of potential future conflicts.

What do you expect Whaley say about a player still on the roster? He blows?

Considering the garbage in free agency, the questionable talent via trade, and the unknown of the draft, I don't know what people expect from Whaley? We all want a franchise QB, but all the wishing in the world isn't going to make one appear magically.

What do you expect Whaley say about a player still on the roster? He blows?

Considering the garbage in free agency, the questionable talent via trade, and the unknown of the draft, I don't know what people expect from Whaley? We all want a franchise QB, but all the wishing in the world isn't going to make one appear magically.

Thanks Promo! Don't know what everyone expects Whaley to say when EJ is the only !@#$ing QB on the roster. Reading back about EJ over the course of the year since his benching, why wouldn't he talk "glowingly" about him? He's been a great and supportive teammate, by all accounts he has been studying hard and learning how to lead from Orton. I would be going into those interviews saying that to the candidates and also, I think he was handcuffed by Marrone and forced to play not to make mistakes instead of playing freely.

Rex being leery sounds like he isn't asleep at the wheel at least.

I agree, (or so it seems).

If Rex thinks that EJ completely sucks (not the worst evaluation ever mind you), what SHOULD he do? In Atlanta Matt Ryan is very good, and Rex is more than capable of building a defense, no?

I have a feeling that many on this great board are going to spend the offseason pretending that EJ Manuel does not suck.

If Rex thinks that EJ completely sucks (not the worst evaluation ever mind you), what SHOULD he do? In Atlanta Matt Ryan is very good, and Rex is more than capable of building a defense, no?

I have a feeling that many on this great board are going to spend the offseason pretending that EJ Manuel does not suck.

In this discussion, I can't think of how it furthers it to push the angle even if it was taken as true. We have no proven qb, whether you think EJ is the worst ever on the low end or simply a long shot prospect on the high end makes little difference here. Either way, it sounds like the bills, and Rex are both leery of his ability to develop a qb. Given that, and that we don't need to blow up the defense, sounds like we were just taking advantage of the chance to talk to him.

I hope everything is alright because you seem angry. I think you are a better poster than the typical he sucks. It's lazy when talking about a NFL qb who has played 14 career games. His first 14 starts are on par with a lot of young QB's. Odds are, he will fail because most Qbs fail. But you're better than this Bill.

But if we had the great Ryan Mallett, Rex would jump at the job huh? Amazing how you can trash one guy yet consistently praise one who has down nothing but be a pepsihead and run a 10.4 40 yard dash. :)

In this discussion, I can't think of how it furthers it to push the angle even if it was taken as true. We have no proven qb, whether you think EJ is the worst ever on the low end or simply a long shot prospect on the high end makes little difference here. Either way, it sounds like the bills, and Rex are both leery of his ability to develop a qb. Given that, and that we don't need to blow up the defense, sounds like we were just taking advantage of the chance to talk to him.

You nailed it. I don't think Sanchez is a good qb. But he looked a million times better in Philly than he ever did in Nj. Coaching is a huge reason why.

Also, given that EJ had a better rookie year than Sanchez did & Danchez just had the best season of his career, it once again shows how dumb it is to give up on Qbs.

You nailed it. I don't think Sanchez is a good qb. But he looked a million times better in Philly than he ever did in Nj. Coaching is a huge reason why.

Also, given that EJ had a better rookie year than Sanchez did & Danchez just had the best season of his career, it once again shows how dumb it is to give up on Qbs.

Chip Kelly's offensive system helped hide Sanchez's deficiencies, and that is definitely coaching. He wasn't being asked to run the butt fumble, for one thing. B-)

The big question though is, assuming that EJM is anointed as "The Guy" next year, who is the coach that is willing and able to run a system that minimizes EJM's deficiencies? That's not a question with a simple knee-jerk answer. Every move made comes with a series of counter moves by the competition to eliminate and then reverse advantages from one year (even one game) to the next. Harbaugh had some success with building a system around Kaepernick. But last year, the trend for these zone-read QBs was noticeably downwards. Harbaugh quit/was forced out. Add that there was no bigger collapse in the NFL than RG3 last year. And, of course, the Bills ditched their offense and went with a pocket passer in Kyle Orton. So ... someone would have to see enough strengths in EJM to invest the time, resources, and creativity to transform him into a QB who can win and win consistently—this hypothetical coach would be betting his short-term career on EJM being successful.

On the other hand, it's possible EJM is not anointed and maybe the Bills will instead try to pull another Orton out of another hat. In which case, all they could really offer a prospective head coach is assurances that they'll make some sort of effort to find "The Guy" for him.

This is one way to look at the situation. Another is that EJ is inaccurate at virtually every distance. He clearly has a hard time seeing receivers and has even been very disappointing when he runs, something he did well in college.

When Rob Johnson came to the Bills, I was taken by his height, perfect spirals, powerful arm and ability to run. When he sucked, I would blame the OL (which was horrid no doubt), coaches, etc.

My point is that many qbs have every tool and cannot play. You might see things in EJ that I do not and I hope that you are correct. However, going with EJ in 2014 would have been a huge risk. It would also be quite the gamble in 2015.

In terms of your post I ask you this: How many opposing defenses looked forward to playing against EJ Manuel?

Where I honestly appreciate your comments, I believe with the right coaching EJ easily emerges as a force to be reckoned with.

Unfortunately, Doug Marrone and his inept OC were not up to the task to enhance his strengths as much as dumbfounded. clueless about utilizing his strengths to maximize his productivity.

One day under Coach Chip Kelly could enhance EJ's game far more than a full season under Marrone. With that said, I imagine any opposing defense in the NFL would rather face EJ with Marrone & his inept OC on any given Sunday than with EJ under the guidance and coaching of a smart, competent, innovative winner like Coach Kelly. Sometimes it's not the players as much as it's inept "coaching".Thank goodness Jim Plunkett didn't believe all the "experts", and eventually became the Super Bowl winning QB that he was capable of being all along.

I'll bet it's more like 75% get canned due to lack of talent, then the coach get re-cycled to another team that also needs a coach who just fired their prior coach ultimately for guess what lack of talent. The GM is likely the guy who assembled all the talent or lack there of, and is the guy who fires the coach. The GM figures it must have been ineptitude, as all his signings were great.

I've said for years in all sports, the most important person in an organization is the GM, as without the players, it doesn't matter whom the coach is.

Let's be honest, just as many coaches get canned because they don't have enough player talent as get canned for their own ineptitude. Probably more. (As an aside, maybe that's why it may be a bad idea to the have the HC work for the GM - GMs use HCs as scapegoats for their own failures).

Is that good thing or a bad thing??

Well, if he lands Roman and Roman turns EJM into Kaepernick of 2 and 3 years ago... B-)