Unhappy 15th anniversary of the Music City Miracle

YoloinOhio

Yep, remember the day like it was yesterday. It was the early Saturday game & I was in a great mood that day. Drove over my friends house as he was having the party. It was a beautiful day here for January standards & I was thinking to myself "man this would of been a great day to have the game in Buffalo." Got to my friends house & everybody was in a festive mood, drinking bloody mary's & pounding down beers. My friend was cooking eggs, french toast & couple other breakfast items(it was around 11am when I got there). He had a fridge full of strip steaks for after the game. The game started & you knew it was going to be a tight battle. Never got the sense the Bills had a chance to win it until that first drive of the 2nd half. Antwan Smith started ripping off some runs & they scored a TD. My friends & I were pretty into the game & we had quite a bit to drink so it was a pretty wild scene. Christie kicked the field goal & man it was like we won the super bowl. All my friends were hugging, my friends dad who was hoisting the party came over to me & gave me a big kiss on the cheek. I went to hide into the bathroom as I am paranoid about this kind of stuff thinking something bad was going to happen & I just heard my friend yell out "I can't f*cking believe it!!!" I came out of the bathroom, & honestly it looked like someone had died from the looks on my friends faces. After they said the play stood my friend took the platter of strip steaks & chucked them against the side of the wall. The platter shattered & a bunch of marinated strip steaks just laid on the carpet. Noone said a word, we all just looked at each other & walked out & went home. Is one of the most surreal scenes I have ever been a part of. The only year of my life since I have been watching football that I did not watch one minute of the playoffs. I did watch the super bowl that year & was glad when the Rams beat the titans as the titans fell short by a yard to end the game. To this day that is the most hurt I have ever been after watching one the teams I route for get beat. & keep in mind I have been thru a couple doozies as I am also a Mets fan.

Edited by Gordio

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was drinking at a dingy sports bar in Kingston Ontario....I instantly went from hero to zero.

Music City Forward Pass......what really burns is I honestly believe we had the team to go all the way that year....especially the D to take down the Rams.

I have to re-post what I wrote in another thread as I too noted the anniversary.....

If anyone is a wrestling fan and know what is referred to as "the Montreal Screw Job" thïs well may have been the "Tennessee Screw Job".....

After Ryan Lindley & Andy Dalton's performances this weekend, they stack up closely to what Rob Johnson did vs. Tennessee that Saturday. Remember how dominant the Bills defense was that day? Stave McNair threw for 76 yards and won!!!!! That first half was as bad as any I remember and that was a game the Bills should have won 24-6 with only competent QBíng.

Everytime I would hear the Coach (on WGR) or people here claim RJ left the field leading, I cringe......

http://www.pro-footb...00001080oti.htm

The first from an offensive standpoint was a joke and the way the defense played the Bills should have been up 10, not trailing 12-0...... Just because I had to I revisited the play by play and RJ was sacked 4Xs, lost a fumble, sacked for a safety (fumbled but recovered) and Tennessee scored after the safety. RJ completed a 15 yard pass on 3rd & 21 and a 14 yard pass on 3rd & 17 to pad his statistics.

When Flutie did not come out to start the third quarter, it was obvious that the decision to play RJ was Ralph Wilson's.

Edited by Billsfan1972

I was in my apartment holding off drinking because I was going out later that night to celebrate my 28th Birthday...I immediately started drinking and dont remember much from that night. Safe to say that was the worst birthday of my life that I as we all do continue to relive every year.

I've said it numerous times though that I dont care if it was a forward lateral or not, someone should have still been there to tackle Dyson.

I was in my apartment holding off drinking because I was going out later that night to celebrate my 28th Birthday...I immediately started drinking and dont remember much from that night. Safe to say that was the worst birthday of my life that I as we all do continue to relive every year.

I've said it numerous times though that I dont care if it was a forward lateral or not, someone should have still been there to tackle Dyson.

Well Happy Birthday?

I was 16 then. Two games from that period stand out vividly: Kelly & Marv's last game against Jacksonville, when Natrone Means tore us apart (I was at my grandmother's house, I remember my uncles teasing me mercilessly just to be mean, they weren't big football fans) and the Titans game (I remember Rob Johnson leading the go ahead drive and completing a pass without a shoe on).

Ugh.

Ah, the golden days of yore. The days of the VCR. That day, I was having a LARGE party at the house, maybe 20 people. The game was on, I was into it. Then it happened. I silently got up from the couch, walked over to the VCR, walked out the front door and smashed the tape. Ex-wife says "Looks like the party's over!"

I was 16 then. Two games from that period stand out vividly: Kelly & Marv's last game against Jacksonville, when Natrone Means tore us apart (I was at my grandmother's house, I remember my uncles teasing me mercilessly just to be mean, they weren't big football fans) and the Titans game (I remember Rob Johnson leading the go ahead drive and completing a pass without a shoe on).

Ugh.

You mean completing 2 passes for 23 yards as part of a glorious 38 yard drive?!?!?! We should have milked the clock to no time (before kicking the FG), but with RJ's lack of pocket presence there was no way to trust him not getting sacked again......

I was arresting a bank robber and searching his home. With the proceeds from one of the bank robberies, he purchased a large screen TV and home theater system. After the arrest, I gave myself the responsibility of logging in evidence found during the search while the game was playing on the large screen TV.

At the end of the game I was so pissed, I wanted to charge the guy with an additional crime for facilitating a means for me to watch that nightmare...

But that would have been wrong... :D

shoeless Rob Johnson led the team with a score, taking the lead and a whopping 97 total yards passing leaving 16 seconds on the clock.

maybe they should have faked an injury or two and had a 10 second run off .

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

That was during winter break of my senior year at Brockport so there weren’t too many people back in town yet. I joined a few of my Rugby teammates over at a friend of a friend’s house to watch the game, there were about 20 of us there. We all started drinking early so by halftime, we all had decent buzz going. It was a pretty boring 1st half so at halftime we went outside to play a short game of kill the man with the ball. That got us all fired up for the 2nd half. The party was jumping as we got back into the game and then went completely nuts when Christie hit that FG. After the forward lateral, all the energy was sucked out of the place but quickly returned as anger after we saw the 1st replay. Then once the ref went to the replay booth, the energy turned back into excitement because we were all certain that it would be overturned, it was just a formality, or so we thought. Once the ref came back and said the play stands, we were all like WTF and it basically ended the party. We had planned to stay there for the 2nd game and beyond but everyone was so pissed that we all just went home.

I don’t care what that ESPN Sport Science show says, that was a forward lateral and you’ll never be able to convince me otherwise. Adam Schefter agrees too.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/page/blitz150101/still-not-buying-music-city-miracle-adam-schefter-blitz

where's the all 22 when you needed it?

I'd still refuse to watch it. Haven't watched it once since it happened. I turn my head from the screen when they show it every time they bring up our playoff chances.

I was a senior in college at Geneseo, likely drunk.

Gah! So it was HER fault!

She's really lucky that she waited like 12 years, and after I moved to Texas to tell me this.