Bills ST assistant John Anselmo defends Marrone

YoloinOhio

Marrone didn't opt out until 12/31. The players were long gone. What was he supposed to do? Call a team meeting and have everyone come back to Buffalo from the 4 corners? Think!

I'll actually agree with you on this. But the sad part is, he didn't even send the mass text himself. He made a Bills staffer do it for him. That is lame, and you know it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Marrone didn't opt out until 12/31. The players were long gone. What was he supposed to do? Call a team meeting and have everyone come back to Buffalo from the 4 corners? Think!

how about calling the captains? Think! Edited by YoloinOhio

Thinking hurts.

That's why Skype/facetime, conf call, and even a candygram would still be efficient. If this is a dude so emphatic about building a team with responsibility and accountability then why didn't he also pen a letter to his team saying "hey bros, its all about the money and I didn't get my way. You're a very talented team that I enjoyed coaching. It was a rough year and we should have won more games but I appreciate the effort you all gave! It was an honor to coach you and I enjoyed my time with you in Buffalo. If you need anything please call me."

Its not hard to be professional but its very easy to be an !@#$, especially when you're an aashole. Doug Marrone seems to be an !@#$. Not the biggest problem in the world because nice guys aren't always good coaches but nonetheless he has some stank on him.

grab the ones still in town, or maybe call the captains direct and send out an email/text directly to the rest?

Other than the "he's done it twice" quote about rebuilding teams, which is absurd at least on the Bills side of things and fits with the Saint Doug mantra, I think this:

The two talk every day, he said, and it's his understanding that Marrone's opting out had more to do with new ownership and the Bills organization's desire to bring in a "football czar.''

Anselmo also said, "I know that he wanted to get extensions for his assistants, and I don't think that was in the plans. And that irked him.''

is the most telling quote from the article.

It's a 180 on the football czar speculation and that actually makes sense, but slamming the new ownership is bizarre. How could a coach not understand that a brand new owner, who just spent $1.4B on the team, might not want to jump and make longer term commitments to assistants? If he was comfortable with the czar, he HAD to know the czar might recommend changes to the coaching staff, right? Yet he expected extensions for everyone and the lack of the extensions made him uncomfortable that the Bills had found the right owner?

:wacko:

If Marrone belived in himself and the team, he would have stuck around for 2015 to prove what he could do. Hes too new in the league to make take it or leave it demands. If he was able to improve by one win next season, the fans and the new owner would have been very impressed.

I think most fans were resigned and mostly ok with him being here next season. He really left with zero class and dignity.

Edited by mastershake

Yes, you are absolutely right...Doug 'abandon ship with a mere text" Marrone blinked...kudos to Mr. & Mrs. Pegula for giving him enough rope to hang himself (and there I was thinking Tessio of Godfather fame was the lowest rat ever, setting up Michael because the grass looked greener on the other side of the fence. Marrone clearly demonstrated where his allegiance and loyalties lay, "ME, Myself and I".

A class act he's not. Too bad he didn't have a tour of duty in the Marines (he would have learnt to never, ever abandon one of your own, and leave them in limbo while sneaking out of town like a two-faced coward). There are stand up guys in this world and then there are those who abandon ship with a mere text.

Jeez Doogie, you still have an account here? Maybe you should be boning up for your interviews since you botched the Jets one so badly and spending less time on the internet.

P.S. Doug Marrone is mediocrity defined. Hope he signs with Atlanta and cuts Matt Ryan so he can start his boy toy Mr. Intensity Kyle Orton.

Exactly...

I was thinking a personal call to the captains would be the absolute minimum...

Yes, call the captains. The fact that he didn't bother to say a damn thing directly to Fred Jackson or Kyle Williams specifically makes me sick. Doug shouldn't forget that the players do talk to players on other teams. Not a feather in Doug's cap come FA time with the Jets or wherever he ends up. Yes it's mostly about money but it doesn't help to treat the heart and soul of the team like dirt.

Jeez Doogie, you still have an account here? Maybe you should be boning up for your interviews since you botched the Jets one so badly and spending less time on the internet.

P.S. Doug Marrone is mediocrity defined. Hope he signs with Atlanta and cuts Matt Ryan so he can start his boy toy Mr. Intensity Kyle Orton.

The thing with rats when they abandon ship is they don't know the water is even deeper outside of it...

Yes, call the captains. The fact that he didn't bother to say a damn thing directly to Fred Jackson or Kyle Williams specifically makes me sick. Doug shouldn't forget that the players do talk to players on other teams. Not a feather in Doug's cap come FA time with the Jets or wherever he ends up. Yes it's mostly about money but it doesn't help to treat the heart and soul of the team like dirt.

Well said :thumbsup:

Add in the fans, the city the "family" and you end up with a Grade AAA certified double X douchebag.

Exactly...

I was thinking a personal call to the captains would be the absolute minimum...

Yes, so true, and anyone with even an ounce of class would have thought so just as well.

I would never wish a friendship with Doug "abandon ship with a mere text" Marrone upon anyone...there are true friends in this lifetime, and then there are fake, phony, fair-weathered self-centered classless ones like "Mr. MereTexter"...

What owner in his/her right mind would entrust their franchise and fanbase to someone who leaves his men behind, while he tip-toes away like a mouse quietly into the night?