Bills GM wants next coach to revive EJ Manuel

If Jones starts next year (will be tough to keep him off the field even if he doesn't win on Monday because Barrett still has 3 years of eligibility; Miller likely transferring) he will be compared to Cam Newton in skill set. It will be interesting to see what he looks like with a full year of experience.

Jones is a spitting image of Dante Culpepper to me.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills options at QB:

Option 1.) EJ Manuel

Option 2.) Jeff Tuel

Option 3.) Garbage Heap FA QB

Option 4.) Some Random Shmo that is available at #50 overall.

Whaley to prospective candidate, "Man EJ is awesome you're gonna love him. By the way that is really your only option. Unless you got a better plan? Do you?"

Jones is a spitting image of Dante Culpepper to me.

Have heard this comparison locally. Jones seeks out contact while running and punishes defenders with his size/power when running, which reminds me of Cam. It is really hard to evaluate so soon, but his size and his arm could also draw Jamarcus Russell comparisons (hopefully not the bad part though).

The Bills options at QB:

Option 1.) EJ Manuel

Option 2.) Jeff Tuel

Whaley to prospective candidate, "Man EJ is awesome you're gonna love him. By the way that is really your only option. Unless you got a better plan? Do you?"

Perfect.

He's never going to say that.

He's going to say that EJ had brand new HC and brand new OC as a rookie, with no QB coach. Then got hurt in training camp. He never really had a full rookie season and there wasn't time or resources to develop him. The second year he had all these voices in his head telling him not to make mistakes and we think it held him back. By the fourth week, even though he was 2-2 against three top defenses, we made a decision to go with the vet. And there wasn't time over the last 12 weeks to devote to him. He was a project coming out of college with a lot of talent and tools. We think with the proper development he can be a very solid starter in this league. We are bringing in one or two other Qbs to compete with him.

And in year one Maroon had the notion to force a fast paced offense upon a rookie!!!

No, that would be EJ Manuel.

EJ is a more fluid runner that tries to avoid guys. He's also more of a controlled passer (or tries to be). As YOLO said Jones looks for contact and looks to throw the ball down the field. In addition he is 6'5" and 250-255 lbs. Jones is 10-15 lbs heavier than EJ.

Have heard this comparison locally. Jones seeks out contact while running and punishes defenders with his size/power when running, which reminds me of Cam. It is really hard to evaluate so soon, but his size and his arm could also draw Jamarcus Russell comparisons (hopefully not the bad part though).

Cardale Jones has a cannon like Russell. He loves to throw it down the field as well. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Ben as a passer.

EJ is a more fluid runner that tries to avoid guys. He's also more of a controlled passer (or tries to be). As YOLO said Jones looks for contact and looks to throw the ball down the field. In addition he is 6'5" and 250-255 lbs. Jones is 10-15 lbs heavier than EJ.

I thought we were talking about spitting images?

Like separated at birth?

He's never going to say that.

He's going to say that EJ had brand new HC and brand new OC as a rookie, with no QB coach. Then got hurt in training camp. He never really had a full rookie season and there wasn't time or resources to develop him. The second year he had all these voices in his head telling him not to make mistakes and we think it held him back. By the fourth week, even though he was 2-2 against three top defenses, we made a decision to go with the vet. And there wasn't time over the last 12 weeks to devote to him. He was a project coming out of college with a lot of talent and tools. We think with the proper development he can be a very solid starter in this league. We are bringing in one or two other Qbs to compete with him.

I would think that someone with over 29,000 posts would know better than to make sense. Edited by chris heff

The Bills options at QB:

Option 1.) EJ Manuel

Option 2.) Jeff Tuel

unless a bradford shakes loose, then essentially thats where we are at. and its possible that isnt quite as bad as some posters think. EJs not a sure bet, but hes more deserving of a shot than a lot of the alternatives.

I thought that this stance on Manuel could hinder us in our search for a HC, but I think if the Pegula's make a long term guaranteed commitment to the next coach it allows them to work with Manuel for a year, and make the call on him at the end of next season when you are back in the first round of the draft.

Offer Gase or Hamilton a 5 year deal worth top 12 - 15 HC money and you won't have a problem hiring them.

There are so many ways this could have played out and so long as it wasn't Whaley telling the next HC to "make it work come hell or high water" I have no problem with it. I strongly suspect that it was just Whaley restating the things he saw in E.J. when they drafted him and asking the candidate if he had any ideas on how he would approach the situation. I also suspect that Whaley made clear that if it doesn't work with E.J. (or even until it's clear that it can ever work), he'll support the next HC by bringing in some other options, as they did with Orton.

I thought that this stance on Manuel could hinder us in our search for a HC, but I think if the Pegula's make a long term guaranteed commitment to the next coach it allows them to work with Manuel for a year, and make the call on him at the end of next season when you are back in the first round of the draft.

Offer Gase or Hamilton a 5 year deal worth top 12 - 15 HC money and you won't have a problem hiring them.

Absolutely. There is zero chance they will force him on any coach. That would be stupid. They probably talked him up to see what kind of plan the candidate had for him or any young QB (which is also a huge part of the question) and that's it

In fact, I wouldn't doubt if the report of how much they are talking him up was more about bashing Marrone for bashing the Bills than it was what actually happened in the room.

What a nightmare situation this is

Regardless of Marrone's issues and Orton's limitations the Bille were in way better shape next year with those two

At the very least they gave us a punchers chance to make the playoffs and buy a year until the Bills had a first round pick to try and take another shot at a QB

I definitely want competition brought in to challenge EJ but nothing makes me happier than to know that the team hasn't given up on their 1st round QB after 14 starts (unlike many on this board.)

As for chasing off potential coaches, I don't want a coach who is thinking so short term that they're not interested in developing talent, particularly at the QB position.