What if Pegulas are geniuses, got rid of him, saved $4m

My friend brought up a good point, and then I looked up articles on Marrone's contract. Mort reports it was 4 years and 16m.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12104824/doug-marrone-opts-contract-buffalo-bills

What if the Pegulas knew about all this stuff over the last few months by talking to people at OBD, and got Marrone to opt out, so they didn't have to fire him. Thereby making Brandon and Overdorf's contract clause genius, too, because the Pegulas wanted to fire Marrone, and they would have had to pay him $8m?

Terry's no billionaire for nothin'. :lol:

Just food for thought. It would explain some things we don't know the answers to.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if that is the case, it end up being the same as paying him the rest of his contact since we need a new HC. Say we pay him 4m per like Marrone, we are paying 8m.

If it happen next year it would be 4m in the hole.... I think that's right anyways .

In some ways this does make sense and has been in the back of my mind as well. One thing I am unable to reconcile is that all of this seemingly torpedoed Polian.

Pegula was talking to Polian all along behind what appears to be Brandon's and Whaley's backs. The only argument I am able to put together to reconcile that is that Polian backed off entirely due to all of the chatter due to his return and his HOF votes for induction.

Well if that is the case, it end up being the same as paying him the rest of his contact since we need a new HC. Say we pay him 4m per like Marrone, we are paying 8m.

If it happen next year it would be 4m in the hole.... I think that's right anyways .

Well of course. They are not going to get away with not paying someone to coach. The point is they may have found out he was a louse, and didn't want to pay a louse $8m, and the least they could pay is $4m. Plus if they found out he was a louse, other teams presumably could, too, and maybe he wouldnt be getting another HC job this year.

I don't actually believe this happened if I had to bet, but there is a lot we don't know, and it's possible.

On the surface, it does seem to be the most economical way to part with him. But, I don't know how his contract would have worked if they fired him after the opt out period. Was it all guaranteed?

HC contracts are usually guaranteed, yes.

Well of course. They are not going to get away with not paying someone to coach. The point is they may have found out he was a louse, and didn't want to pay a louse $8m, and the least they could pay is $4m. Plus if they found out he was a louse, other teams presumably could, too, and maybe he wouldnt be getting another HC job this year.

I don't actually believe this happened if I had to bet, but there is a lot we don't know, and it's possible.

HC contracts are usually guaranteed, yes.

I agree. And I'm actually agreeing with your OP. The Pegula's saved money now by not investing long term. They might have to pay two people but could be paying one person that had his foot out the door.

If I'm not mistaken, money owed on coaching contracts is negated if the coach gets another job. N'est pas?

Usually, depending on how they are negotiated. But as I said above, if they found out he was a louse maybe they thought he wouldn't get another HC job as soon as teams started to vet him.

Except it was reported Pegula caved and gave him his extension, but he walked anyway.

It was also reported the exact opposite by the local guys covering the team. We don't know the real reason. I find it hard to believe they wanted to give him an extension, especially to his offensive assistants.

wrong we would be 12 mil in the whole, based on your senario.

My friend brought up a good point, and then I looked up articles on Marrone's contract. Mort reports it was 4 years and 16m.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12104824/doug-marrone-opts-contract-buffalo-bills

What if the Pegulas knew about all this stuff over the last few months by talking to people at OBD, and got Marrone to opt out, so they didn't have to fire him. Thereby making Brandon and Overdorf's contract clause genius, too, because the Pegulas wanted to fire Marrone, and they would have had to pay him $8m?

Just food for thought. It would explain some things we don't know the answers to.

Wait, you have friends?

I don't know if this is true. But it does make sense.

Clearly, the Pegulas didn't think the world of Marrone. If they had thought he was a winner, they could have met his demands. Instead they made the considered decision to let him walk. But maybe, as you say, they may have actually pushed him out the door.

And based on everything I've read since his departure - not to mention his sub .500 HC record - I thank them for it.

In some ways this does make sense and has been in the back of my mind as well. One thing I am unable to reconcile is that all of this seemingly torpedoed Polian.

Pegula was talking to Polian all along behind what appears to be Brandon's and Whaley's backs. The only argument I am able to put together to reconcile that is that Polian backed off entirely due to all of the chatter due to his return and his HOF votes for induction.

I'm finding it easier to take Polian at his word. Once Orton and Marrone walked, his job would have become more complicated, and a "heavy lift," as Polian put it. I'm satisfied with that.