The Pussification of America continues

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My town has all sorts of limits on where kids can skateboard for the same reason as sledding. Doesn't seem to make much difference. Kids can still have fun where they want. This is like leash law enforcement at the neighborhood park. The signs will go up. There will be one weekend where a poor cop has to go tell people not to sled...and then everyone will keep sledding.

My town has all sorts of limits on where kids can skateboard for the same reason as sledding. Doesn't seem to make much difference. Kids can still have fun where they want. This is like leash law enforcement at the neighborhood park. The signs will go up. There will be one weekend where a poor cop has to go tell people not to sled...and then everyone will keep sledding.

Yes, but then when they get hurt doing it, the towns won't be on the hook to be sued.

Everything seems to be safety these days. Everyone's first priority is safety and it's beyond the legal perspective. For example when I watch House Hunters I laugh at these moms that are afraid to have stairs in the house or have to have a floor plan that allows them to have eyes on their kids every second of the day. Or there was one chic that didn't want to have a pool because the kid may drown. Instead of imagining all the fun children have in pools all they can do is be afraid. Amazing wimpery going on

Everything seems to be safety these days. Everyone's first priority is safety and it's beyond the legal perspective. For example when I watch House Hunters I laugh at these moms that are afraid to have stairs in the house or have to have a floor plan that allows them to have eyes on their kids every second of the day. Or there was one chic that didn't want to have a pool because the kid may drown. Instead of imagining all the fun children have in pools all they can do is be afraid. Amazing wimpery going on

I love that, in my town, not only can I not ride a bike without a helmet, I can be detained for failure to show ID when cited for riding a bike without a helmet.

That's right, helmet laws require me to carry a driver's license to ride a bike.

They closed schools here today because it is supposed to be TOO cold. Huh? Not too much snow but cold... You gotta be kidding... A lot of children walk to school in my town, when it gets that cold I drive my daughter the 1,000 feet or so she needs to walk. Now what are some parents going to do when they have to be @ work and school is closed? Is their boss gonna give the day off like the teachers have? I think its only supposed to get down to -10 or so. Wouldn't it be better to be in a warm school all day? Not that I mind, I am off of work anyway and my wife doesn't have to go in if she doesn't want to (work @ home)... But really? The cold? Even my son's high school is closing today.

Holy Moly... I know exposure can kill... But come on, be prepared, life and business goes on @ 10 below.

What are children to do? Go sledding! Just don't read an Edith Wharton novel first.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

They closed schools here today because it is supposed to be TOO cold. Huh? Not too much snow but cold... You gotta be kidding... A lot of children walk to school in my town, when it gets that cold I drive my daughter the 1,000 feet or so she needs to walk. Now what are some parents going to do when they have to be @ work and school is closed? Is their boss gonna give the day off like the teachers have? I think its only supposed to get down to -10 or so. Wouldn't it be better to be in a warm school all day? Not that I mind, I am off of work anyway and my wife doesn't have to go in if she doesn't want to (work @ home)... But really? The cold? Even my son's high school is closing today.

Holy Moly... I know exposure can kill... But come on, be prepared, life and business goes on @ 10 below.

What are children to do? Go sledding! Just don't read an Edith Wharton novel first.

There's an easy solution to this: burn more fossil fuels. More CO2 = more warming = fewer school days lost to cold weather. Think of the children!

There's an easy solution to this: burn more fossil fuels. More CO2 = more warming = fewer school days lost to cold weather. Think of the children!

I disagree with this statement. More CO2 = more warming = more days lost to extreme weather. Think of the children!

I disagree with this statement. More CO2 = more warming = more days lost to extreme weather. Think of the children!

No, More CO2 = more warming = healthier plants with more CO2 to breathe. Think of the plants!

They can set the school temp @ say 60 where each family w/a child would set it @ 70 (which is a heat wave in my house). I have heard people say they set to 75! WTF, 75? I would be tearing clothes off and running wild/blinding rage through the house... AND YOU DON'T WANT TO PICTURE THAT!... You simply do not! ;-)

Think collectively! One smokestack! Which begs the question, do people turn their thermostat down when they leave for the day? LoL...

The pussification continues... Brilliantly sunny today, glorious winter day @ 0 degrees out now... Children need vitamin D! Don't want them to get MS? ;-)

The "logic" is really flowing in this thread! ;-)

What kid gets exposed these days? The little prince and princesses are all chauffeured to school by wimped out moms and dads.

Edited by Dante

What kid gets exposed these days? The little prince and princesses are all chauffeured to school by wimped out moms and dads.

To their credit here, school(s) are in the village and I would say about 30% walk. But, then we are just a blue collar working community. I would say 20% take a bus. There are buses for the children over 2 miles (or have to navigate main roads), but back in my day (1970's) I remember more buses for our school in WNY... Heck I lived just about a klick from school and was bused. I would have either had to cut through a field or walk a main road (further). Heck, during the 1978 storm, buses were stuck and we were caught @ school... My parents made that short trip (through the fields) with my snowsuit to get me home.

What I do notice is that they have "snow/cold days" alotted... They use those @ the drop of a hat. Now, I understand to a certain point and don't agree w/the hard azz way they did it years ago. I grew up in S.Cheektowaga and went to W.Seneca schools, W.Seneca schools were notoriously late to close... We had a d*ck superintendent? ??

I am just saying, there needs to be a happy medium, I suppose it is tough for whoever is making the choices.