[Please Change Title]Jerry Bergman, ref who blew call in Lions game, s

Jerry Bergman's dad Jerry Bergman, made one of the worst calls in the history of the Buffalo Bills. It was so horrific, that Ralph Wilson vowed he'd never officiate another Bills game. Wilson paid a fine for that, but Bergman never did another Bills game.

Here's what happened: The Bills were losing to the Dolphins, I think it was 1975. The were in the midst of a huge comeback, and had cut the lead to 3 or something. Miami had the ball, and Mercury Morris was on a sweep and Tony Greene upended him to the point where he was upside down, about a foot above ground, and the ball bounced loose. The Bills recovered. Bergman not only ruled no fumble (down by contact), but he tossed a 15 yard penalty on Pat Toomay who had apparently elbowed an official as he was trying to recover the fumble. Instead of having the momentum and the ball at about the Miami 25, we were penalized and everybody was so upset, they couldn't focus. Next play Don Nottingham ran up the middle for about 55 yards, and the game was in effect over.

The guy who determined the outcome of the Lions game today is the son of the guy who did that to the Bills. Beauty.

The NFL wanted Dallas to advance. It is worth several hundred million dollars. Nobody gives a crap about Detroit. But everybody in the country either loves the Cowboys, or hates them because they call themselves America's Team, and they have the biggest douchebag owner in the world.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry Bergman's dad Jerry Bergman, made one of the worst calls in the history of the Buffalo Bills. It was so horrific, that Ralph Wilson vowed he'd never officiate another Bills game. Wilson paid a fine for that, but Bergman never did another Bills game.

Here's what happened: The Bills were losing to the Dolphins, I think it was 1975. The were in the midst of a huge comeback, and had cut the lead to 3 or something. Miami had the ball, and Mercury Morris was on a sweep and Tony Greene upended him to the point where he was upside down, about a foot above ground, and the ball bounced loose. The Bills recovered. Bergman not only ruled no fumble (down by contact), but he tossed a 15 yard penalty on Pat Toomay who had apparently elbowed an official as he was trying to recover the fumble. Instead of having the momentum and the ball at about the Miami 25, we were penalized and everybody was so upset, they couldn't focus. Next play Don Nottingham ran up the middle for about 55 yards, and the game was in effect over.

The guy who determined the outcome of the Lions game today is the son of the guy who did that to the Bills. Beauty.

The NFL wanted Dallas to advance. It is worth several hundred million dollars. Nobody gives a crap about Detroit. But everybody in the country either loves the Cowboys, or hates them because they call themselves America's Team, and they have the biggest douchebag owner in the world.

Yeah it's all about money, and I guarantee money was thrown around for a piss poor call like that. I can't imagine even if there were proof of it that anything would be done about it. Honestly, I used to think Jones looked like the biggest moron for an owner til I read about Daniel Snyder. At least Jones gets the best results money can buy.

Like?

1. The 1st grab on the jersey that lasted for 4yds(ok, illegal contact).

2. Arm grabbing and continued contact until the ball arrived right after #1.

3. Defender never ever even fakes looking for ball and runs flat over WR (damn near a tackle).

Players should ask NFL for decision on whether it is now legal to pass defend in this manner. (This would instantly turn Gilmore into a superstar).

Edited by angryfan62

2. Arm grabbing and continued contact until the ball arrived right after #1.

3. Defender never ever even fakes looking for ball and runs flat over WR (damn near a tackle).

Players should ask NFL for decision on whether it is now legal to pass defend in this manner. (This would instantly turn Gilmore into a superstar).

2. Both players were semi-grabbing. In fact, the offensive player grabbed the defender's face mask.

3. Again, with minimal contact, not looking back is not grounds for DPI in the NFL.

Bottom-line, that no-call was consistent with the rest of the game. There was as much if not more contact on other no-calls earlier. The refs got it wrong by announcing it early.

2. Both players were semi-grabbing. In fact, the offensive player grabbed the defender's face mask.

3. Again, with minimal contact, not looking back is not grounds for DPI in the NFL.

Bottom-line, that no-call was consistent with the rest of the game. There was as much if not more contact on other no-calls earlier. The refs got it wrong by announcing it early.

What about Dez Bryant running on to the field with his helmet off arguing with the officials? Is this consistent with the rest of the game too?

IMHO, that is a penalty everytime, particularly in today's NFL. He never made any attempt to play the ball and clearly made contact with the receiver before the ball arrived. That is pass interference.

IMHO, that is a penalty everytime, particularly in today's NFL. He never made any attempt to play the ball and clearly made contact with the receiver before the ball arrived. That is pass interference.

There's definitely a strong case for it being DPI. But, there were many other plays earlier in the game that had strong cases for DPI. The refs were "letting them play."

Which I personally find moronic, but in the lens of that whole game, it's consistent.

Yeah it's all about money, and I guarantee money was thrown around for a piss poor call like that. I can't imagine even if there were proof of it that anything would be done about it. Honestly, I used to think Jones looked like the biggest moron for an owner til I read about Daniel Snyder. At least Jones gets the best results money can buy.

Jones has started listening to people and has built the best o-line in football.

i remember that call, the play, like it was yesterday..witnessing what i saw yesterday really DOES have the feel of a fix.. just my opinion.. one can argue about the validity of the call,(sure seemed like pass interference to me and according to mike periara, the refs got it wrong) totally feel for the lions, their fans.. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24652025/is-this-the-nfl-ref-czar-on-cowboys-party-bus-irate-nfl-execs-say-yes

Edited by dwight in philly

I remember that play. This was the height of the Bills 'run' of 0 for the 70's against the 'fins. There was a petition in circulation in Buffalo to have the NFL fire Bergman. I still hold a grudge against Bergman. When I tell the story I say the name 'Bergman' with clenched teeth.

My jaw is sore just typing this.

Well, at least we had the last laugh at Jerry Bergman. I went to the game the next week (the snow game when Chuck Foreman got hit in the eye with a snowball) and Bergman was hanging from above the tunnel.

Crap - I just looked it up and he was only hanging in effigy!

+1

Especially when a Bills player is doing it.