Foles Anyone?

To me Foles would be the best option as any. Of course what happens with Sanchez could prove interesting. As if he gets a long term deal in Philly with Kelly now in control of player personnel that could be a sign he doesn't like Foles and if I'm Whaley I make a move asap. Though the question of what it take to get him to me looms large. As if it's EJ (or possibly CJ Spiller who they rumored to like last year) and a low round pick it's not a bad idea. Yet I'd still draft a guy in the 3rd day to develop.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not pointing to you per se, but I love how a lot of people praise Alex Smith for being a QB that we should have got. It just amazes me that Smith looked terrible up until his 5th season in the league, yet everyone wants to discard EJ after starting 14 games. In his third season his completion % was 48.7%. 48.7!!!!!! Win now at all cost league I guess. No patience whatsoever.

I completely agree with you. I think it is way too soon to declare that EJ Manuel will never become a good starting QB

Just because Smith improved doesn't mean EJ will improve. That's like saying we should've given JP or Edwards or Collins more time. Problem with having that sort of patience is (1) that it's the exception, rather than the rule, that a QB improves after starting 5 years, (2) if they do become decent, they're certainly not elite, and (3) you miss many opportunities to get that elite QB (which we undoubtedly have experienced here).

Anyways, I'm all for Foles coming here. He would automatically become the best QB we've had since Kelly.

Totally agree. Trade EJ Manuel and either a low draft pick or one of our CB's for Foles. The Bills need a QB now, or they will waste this "D".

Go Bills!!!

Not pointing to you per se, but I love how a lot of people praise Alex Smith for being a QB that we should have got. It just amazes me that Smith looked terrible up until his 5th season in the league, yet everyone wants to discard EJ after starting 14 games. In his third season his completion % was 48.7%. 48.7!!!!!! Win now at all cost league I guess. No patience whatsoever.

Yeah, I won't pretend to know if EJ will ever be good. I don't think anyone can know that yet. Even the guys who do this kind of stuff for a living (GMs, scouts) aren't great at predicting which QBs will step up and which won't.

But because we don't know if EJ will make it, we need to find sign the best FA QB out there or trade for the best QB on the trading block. And then draft a QB.

Yeah, I won't pretend to know if EJ will ever be good. I don't think anyone can know that yet. Even the guys who do this kind of stuff for a living (GMs, scouts) aren't great at predicting which QBs will step up and which won't.

But because we don't know if EJ will make it, we need to find sign the best FA QB out there or trade for the best QB on the trading block. And then draft a QB.

I just think the league figured Foles out and he'll be a bottom third of the league starter. Remember when Derek Anderson looked like a good QB briefly? I suspect Foles may be similar.

I've no real problem signing a stop-gap veteran and even drafting a QB this year to see if we can get lucky, but Manuel (IMHO) has more upside than any stop-gap vet or rookie that will be available in the 2nd or later this year. Again,maybe they'll get lucky and find a gem like Russell Wilson in the 2nd or 3rd.

Edited by OldTimer1960

I just think the league figured Foles out and he'll be a bottom third of the league starter. Remember when Derek Anderson looked like a good QB briefly? I suspect Foles may be similar.

I've no real problem signing a stop-gap veteran and even drafting a QB this year to see if we can get lucky, but Manuel (IMHO) has more upside than any stop-gap vet or rookie that will be available in the 2nd or later this year. Again,maybe they'll get lucky and find a gem like Russell Wilson in the 2nd or 3rd.

Yes, not necessarily Foles though, but I think Chip's system made him look great last year, then they figured out his system somewhat this year and Foles regressed a ton and, most likely, played more to his ability. I just don't see how all these guys clamoring for Foles completely look past that fact.

Edited by Mark80

EJ Manuel is a better QB than Nick Foles. That's right. The gap is very close, but as the years go by that gap will be a grand canyon.

Nick Foles is a statue and a turnover machine. The only reason he had success last year was due to Kelly's play churning system being so new in the NFL. If Manuel were an Eagle this year he would have been the starter and be in the top 10 of most QB statistics.

EJ Manuel played slightly better than Foles did this year and Manuel had the anchor of the worst offensive system in the league to deal with while Foles had Chip Kelly's QB friendly system.

I know many here will flame away at me for saying all this, but the facts are the facts. The 2014 stats don't lie. EJ Manuel is only going to get better and better and one day become a long term solid starter while Nick Foles will always be an unathletic statue and forever a backup QB in the NFL. There's no way Foles is Kelly's starting QB next year.

BTW, if Marrone thinks Manuel is a horrible QB then I'm 100% sure Manuel is a franchise QB. Because that man is an idiot of epic proportions.

EJ Manuel is a better QB than Nick Foles. That's right. The gap is very close, but as the years go by that gap will be a grand canyon.

Nick Foles is a statue and a turnover machine. The only reason he had success last year was due to Kelly's play churning system being so new in the NFL. If Manuel were an Eagle this year he would have been the starter and be in the top 10 of most QB statistics.

EJ Manuel played slightly better than Foles did this year and Manuel had the anchor of the worst offensive system in the league to deal with while Foles had Chip Kelly's QB friendly system.

I know many here will flame away at me for saying all this, but the facts are the facts. The 2014 stats don't lie. EJ Manuel is only going to get better and better and one day become a long term solid starter while Nick Foles will always be an unathletic statue and forever a backup QB in the NFL. There's no way Foles is Kelly's starting QB next year.

BTW, if Marrone thinks Manuel is a horrible QB then I'm 100% sure Manuel is a franchise QB. Because that man is an idiot of epic proportions.

Dont know what to make of this...Interesting perspective...So you're saying we should sell the farm to get Kelly?

Out of all the QB options that make sense, that seem possible, I see this being far and away the most likely QB to start for the Bills next season. Very strong arm, young, potential for a Franchise QB. His skill set matches with our offensive skilled players. I'm nuetral on him, but for me, he's our best option. So much better compared to say Cutler. A thought that makes me cringe.

The Eagles will sell out for Mariota with Chip now in control of all roster decisions. That's his guy, perfect guy for his offense, he already knows more about him then any NFL executive, scout, or coach. He wants a more versitle QB. Somebody that can be a threat to run. I don't think they would go Herschel crazy in an attempt to trade up, but I have no doubt they will aggressivly seek a trade up. When the dust settles, they will deal Foles to us, likely for a 3rd rounder. Which is a bargain for a team acquiring a starting QB. How many starting QB's have we wasted 1st round selections on? I would even sell our 2nd rounder if we had to, not both, but I would be willing to part with a #2 given the nature of our situation and what is avaliable. If we want to talk about potential long term solutions, actual viable ones, I just don't see anybody else that seems attainable, young, and has the skills Foles does.

If this does in fact happen, upgrade. Which I suspect will be a theme we will keep seeing as we find ourselves stuck in this period of uncertainty. I think we answer the question marks and not only answer them, but we upgrade them, not only QB but HC.

I would feel pretty solid with this core, a good HC, a developing back up Manuel and a starting Foles.

I'd definitely take Foles. Part of me thinks bringing on Foles, Glennon and having them battle with EJ isn't such a bad idea...

This year, Foles played 8 games, completed 59.8% and was on a 16 game pace to throw 26 TDs and 20 INTs.

I am not seeing that as much (if any) of an upgrade over Manuel, whom most here want replaced.

DIFFERENT <> BETTER

This year, Foles played 8 games, completed 59.8% and was on a 16 game pace to throw 26 TDs and 20 INTs.

I am not seeing that as much (if any) of an upgrade over Manuel, whom most here want replaced.

DIFFERENT <> BETTER

I did say "battle" with EJ, referring to a competition. I actually have been most impressed with Glennon when watching games of all three guys.

I'd definitely take Foles. Part of me thinks bringing on Foles, Glennon and having them battle with EJ isn't such a bad idea...

What part of Planet Football do you guys live on where you can just think about bringing in another team's QB who is still under contract to that team to "have them battle" with your draftee? What is this, UFC? If you bring in a guy who is currently under contract, you're going to be giving something up for him, players draft picks or both. So you better have a plan, and that plan should be better than "having them battle with our rookie isn't such a bad idea"

Foles is under contract through 2015. Glennon is under contract through 2016.

Neither of their respective teams has such a wealth of QB that they will jettison a young QB who has shown some promise of at least being a competent NFL QB, because even if they decide to go all-in seeking someone better, they still need a back-up plan.

I'd take Foles in a second. We could then hit targets 15 yards down field.

So, if genius chip Kelly is willing to trade Foles (his only viable starting QB) to you for, say a 2nd round pick, don't you think you ought to be a little concerned that you are being fleeced?

Sure, it would be different if if the Eagles had a better option than Foles, but that isn't the case - buyer beware!

What part of Planet Football do you guys live on where you can just think about bringing in another team's QB who is still under contract to that team to "have them battle" with your draftee? What is this, UFC? If you bring in a guy who is currently under contract, you're going to be giving something up for him, players draft picks or both. So you better have a plan, and that plan should be better than "having them battle with our rookie isn't such a bad idea"

Foles is under contract through 2015. Glennon is under contract through 2016.

Neither of their respective teams has such a wealth of QB that they will jettison a young QB who has shown some promise of at least being a competent NFL QB, because even if they decide to go all-in seeking someone better, they still need a back-up plan.

I live on the planet where the Buccaneers are likely to draft a QB 1st. Assuming that occurs, in combination with McCown being on their roster, it's not unlikely at all that they will try to trade Glennon. Foles is less likely to be traded, imo. But, that's the assumption forming the foundation of this thread isn't it. Having either compete with EJ is as good a plan as any. And much of the talk this offseason has been referencing QBs under contract. Given the paucity of prospects on the FA market, I'm expecting us to trade for a QB, regardless of what we do in the draft.