Foles Anyone?

Does anyone have an opinion on Foles or what you would be willing to give up for him?

I personally think foles is worth a shot to trade for. We cant pick him up in free agency until after the 2015 season because he has another year left on his contract, but imo it might be worth it to trade some picks or even ej to philly. Chip hasnt always been that intrested in foles, and since Chip has been promoted to HC/GM, he might have more power and be more motivated to get rid of some players that dont fit into his scheme On the flipside, he has to realise that the sanchize isnt the solution. I was rooting for the eagles to make the playoffs so that kelly would be more willing to let foles go, but alas, no. Still EJ might be tempting for Kelly because Kelly might think he can mold EJ into a franchise QB and EJ fits into his scheme well.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you think Chip would trade the only QB he has on the roster with starting experience who also led the team to the playoffs?

I don't see that happening

Edited by Max997

I don't think any NFL HC or GM believes that EJ can be a franchise QB at this point. Hopefully that changes and changes quick.

And Foles, I don't like him at all. He had tremendous success last season and I put that 100% on Chip's offense and defenses not knowing what to do to stop it. But, as with any new trend in the NFL (wildcat anyone?), the other teams caught up to him and he regressed severely. If he were a FA, I'd take a look, but I wouldn't give up anything for him in a trade.

Edited by Mark80

So you think Chip would trade the only QB he has on the roster with starting experience who also led the team to the playoffs?

I don't see that happening

If he gets Sanchez back, which is likely, he might. Plus if we trade ej. crazier things have happened.

I would love to have Foles.

Chip Kelly is not 100% convinced that Foles is the man, and Jeffrey Lurie's comments about the Eagles QB situation, was most interesting.

However, Foles is the best QB they have, and even if they wanted to part with him, the asking price could be too high.

If he gets Sanchez back, which is likely, he might. Plus if we trade ej. crazier things have happened.

Why is it likely that Sanchez will be back?

I live just outside of Philly and based on what I saw, have read and heard will be surprised if Sanchez is even back as the backup.

I would love to have Foles.

Chip Kelly is not 100% convinced that Foles is the man, and Jeffrey Lurie's comments about the Eagles QB situation, was most interesting.

However, Foles is the best QB they have, and even if they wanted to part with him, the asking price could be too high.

Concer. I think Sanchez is available, Foles will not be. Even if the Eagles aren't convinced he's the right QB, he's the best they have right now.

If any team is willing to trade their starting QB, then the buyer should beware.

The only recent example of this that made sense for both parties was SF trading Alex Smith because they had Colin Kaepernick whom they wanted to make way for.

I can't think of many other situations where it a) happened and b) worked out well for the new team. It did work out for KC in the short-term when they traded for an aging Joe Montana, but again, SF was making room for Steve Young to play.

If Philly is willing to trade Foles without a clear replacement in place, then you probably shouldn't want Foles.

If any team is willing to trade their starting QB, then the buyer should beware.

The only recent example of this that made sense for both parties was SF trading Alex Smith because they had Colin Kaepernick whom they wanted to make way for.

I can't think of many other situations where it a) happened and b) worked out well for the new team. It did work out for KC in the short-term when they traded for an aging Joe Montana, but again, SF was making room for Steve Young to play.

If Philly is willing to trade Foles without a clear replacement in place, then you probably shouldn't want Foles.

Not pointing to you per se, but I love how a lot of people praise Alex Smith for being a QB that we should have got. It just amazes me that Smith looked terrible up until his 5th season in the league, yet everyone wants to discard EJ after starting 14 games. In his third season his completion % was 48.7%. 48.7!!!!!! Win now at all cost league I guess. No patience whatsoever.

Edited by Mark80

Not pointing to you per se, but I love how a lot of people praise Alex Smith for being a QB that we should have got. It just amazes me that Smith looked terrible up until his 5th season in the league, yet everyone wants to discard EJ after starting 14 games. In his third season his completion % was 48.7%. 48.7!!!!!! Win now at all cost league I guess. No patience whatsoever.

I think there are real similarities between EJ and Alex Smith. I see EJ as a 5 year project in a conventional, pro-set offense.

The shortcut is putting him in an offense like Chip Kelly's. I actually think Marrone felt the same way. They tried to do what Kelly is doing and it worked to some extent. The uptempo attack made Manuel/Tuel/Thad look more prepared than they were.

I think EJ and Smith are both intelligent with excellent intangibles but at the same time they entered the NFL as uninstinctive, slow learners. The light came on for Smith. Unfortunately for him he has a bad shoulder now and is not able to stretch the field consistently.

In all fairness though, Smith entered the NFL at 20 years old, EJ was 23. EJ was a top recruit and has been in training to be a pro QB since HS so for the skill he has he really is altogether too raw.

It's foolish for anyone to expect fans, players or coaches to wait 5 years for a QB to develop. If playing time isn't going to accelerate their curve they are just as well off learning from the sidelines and in practice. We aren't talking about Peyton Manning here. His ceiling isn't worth giving away games.

Just because Smith improved doesn't mean EJ will improve. That's like saying we should've given JP or Edwards or Collins more time. Problem with having that sort of patience is (1) that it's the exception, rather than the rule, that a QB improves after starting 5 years, (2) if they do become decent, they're certainly not elite, and (3) you miss many opportunities to get that elite QB (which we undoubtedly have experienced here).

Anyways, I'm all for Foles coming here. He would automatically become the best QB we've had since Kelly.

Edited by Saint Doug

I think there are real similarities between EJ and Alex Smith. I see EJ as a 5 year project in a conventional, pro-set offense.

The shortcut is putting him in an offense like Chip Kelly's. I actually think Marrone felt the same way. They tried to do what Kelly is doing and it worked to some extent. The uptempo attack made Manuel/Tuel/Thad look more prepared than they were.

I think EJ and Smith are both intelligent with excellent intangibles but at the same time they entered the NFL as uninstinctive, slow learners. The light came on for Smith. Unfortunately for him he has a bad shoulder now and is not able to stretch the field consistently.

In all fairness though, Smith entered the NFL at 20 years old, EJ was 23. EJ was a top recruit and has been in training to be a pro QB since HS so for the skill he has he really is altogether too raw.

It's foolish for anyone to expect fans, players or coaches to wait 5 years for a QB to develop. If playing time isn't going to accelerate their curve they are just as well off learning from the sidelines and in practice. We aren't talking about Peyton Manning here. His ceiling isn't worth giving away games.

Just because Smith improved doesn't mean EJ will improve. That's like saying we should've given JP or Edwards or Collins more time. Problem with having that sort of patience is (1) that it's the exception, rather than the rule, that a QB improves after starting 5 years, (2) if they do become decent, they're certainly not elite, and (3) you miss many opportunities to get that elite QB (which we undoubtedly have experienced here).

Anyways, I'm all for Foles coming here. He would automatically become the best QB we've had since Kelly.

I agree with both of your points concerning Alex and EJ for the most part and am, admittedly, mostly just playing devils advocate here. But, you guys both point to "taking 5 years to develop" as something extraordinary or as the exception, but I ask you this, how do we know? How many QBs were actually given that amount of time to develop. Especially 3.5 of those years as being the starter as with Smith? Perhaps all that time is exactly what some of these highly talented guys that flame out need to become serviceable or even good / elite QBs. Seems to me that guys are given 2 or 3 years at the most to be a starter and if they can't do it then, they are simply discarded forever. I don't know, just spewing thoughts here. I just really want to like EJ and hope like hell that the light bulb goes off this off season and that Doug and Hackett were holding him back instead of helping him, as in making him play too cautious instead of slinging it and making plays with his feet.

Edited by Mark80

so we have no qb but you would pass on a guy who is one year removed from throwing 27 tds and 2 ints? He's not gonna be available anyway so don't worry.

I agree with both of your points concerning Alex and EJ for the most part and am, admittedly, mostly just playing devils advocate here. But, you guys both point to "taking 5 years to develop" as something extraordinary or as the exception, but I ask you this, how do we know? How many QBs were actually given that amount of time to develop. Especially 3.5 of those years as being the starter as with Smith? Perhaps all that time is exactly what some of these highly talented guys that flame out need to become serviceable or even good / elite QBs. Seems to me that guys are given 2 or 3 years at the most to be a starter and if they can't do it then, they are simply discarded forever. I don't know, just spewing thoughts here. I just really want to like EJ and hope like hell that the light bulb goes off this off season and that Doug and Hackett were holding him back instead of helping him, as in making him play too cautious instead of slinging it and making plays with his feet.

You can't ask other players to throw away 5 years of their careers in the hopes the light comes on.

It's not like if we had a great QB, we'd give Naaman Roosevelt the start for 5 years hoping he'd figure it out.

Edited by FireChan

There are many in the coaching community that think that a lot of QB's that don't make it could have made it in better circumstances.

The bottom line is that the league needs to do a better job of developing QB's outside of the actual in-season games.

When teams march out green QB's it makes for a terrible product and it's undermining the parity that Rozelle envisioned and that helped the league grow so popular.

The league took the QB and defenseless WR hits out of the equation to prevent fragile talents like Aaron Rodgers from being injured out of the league.

Longer careers for guys like that should have helped stock the league with QB's.

But instead it's creating a competitive inequity and a league where it is even harder to win consistently without one of those guys.

In response, the quality of athlete going to the defensive side of the ball is increasing and that has started to gradually tamp back down passing results and made it harder to develop young QB's once again. :doh:

For all the Bills faults, you can pretty much sum up their 15 years of losing to not having a good quarterback and that is just not acceptable.

You can't ask other players to throw away 5 years of their careers in the hopes the light comes on.

It's not like if we had a great QB, we'd give Naaman Roosevelt the start for 5 years hoping he'd figure it out.

That is a very good point. Thanks.

There are many in the coaching community that think that a lot of QB's that don't make it could have made it in better circumstances.

The bottom line is that the league needs to do a better job of developing QB's outside of the actual in-season games.

When teams march out green QB's it makes for a terrible product and it's undermining the parity that Rozelle envisioned and that helped the league grow so popular.

The league took the QB and defenseless WR hits out of the equation to prevent fragile talents like Aaron Rodgers from being injured out of the league.

Longer careers for guys like that should have helped stock the league with QB's.

But instead it's creating a competitive inequity and a league where it is even harder to win consistently without one of those guys.

In response, the quality of athlete going to the defensive side of the ball is increasing and that has started to gradually tamp back down passing results and made it harder to develop young QB's once again. :doh:

For all the Bills faults, you can pretty much sum up their 15 years of losing to not having a good quarterback and that is just not acceptable.

Very well thought out, thanks.

Why is it likely that Sanchez will be back?

I live just outside of Philly and based on what I saw, have read and heard will be surprised if Sanchez is even back as the backup.

You might have more firsthand knowledge than me on the opinion in Philly. I just cant help thinking that Kelly is happy with sanchez in some ways and wants sanchez or someone like him. clearly sanchez has been executing the offense incredibly up tempo. and even if sanchez leaves, i think the league has seen ej demonstrate his ability to manage up tempo offenses as he did for a lot of his rookie year. Kelly might be under the assumption that bad coaching has caused ej to underproduce. this is just my speculation.