Foles Anyone?

I live on the planet where the Buccaneers are likely to draft a QB 1st. Assuming that occurs, in combination with McCown being on their roster, it's not unlikely at all that they will try to trade Glennon. Foles is less likely to be traded, imo. But, that's the assumption forming the foundation of this thread isn't it. Having either compete with EJ is as good a plan as any. And much of the talk this offseason has been referencing QBs under contract. Given the paucity of prospects on the FA market, I'm expecting us to trade for a QB, regardless of what we do in the draft.

Hokay, at least I understand where you're coming from now.

I think it's very unlikely that the Bucs would trade Glennon and keep McCown, even if they do draft a QB 1st.

-McCown threw more INTs than TDs last year and his completion percentage was only 56%

-The Bucs have him signed for next year at $5.2 million

-Glennon regressed a bit, but still completed 58% and threw more TDs than INTs. Even if you don't think he's "the Man", he's show enough to be a competent backup plan

-The Bucs have Glennon signed through 2016 at ~$600,000/yr

So any trade value the Bucs get for Glennon has to compensate them for $5M more salary (keeping McCown) plus whatever it would take to sign a backup for 2016, with the going rate for a vet backup QB who has shown himself NFL competent >$3M or so. "Cheaper to keep him" don't you think?

That's the business argument against the deal.

I do agree with you that most of the talk this offseason has 1) been about QB under contract who are unlikely to be traded by their current team 2) really vague about what The Plan is once we acquire said QB. We can try to trade for a QB if we like, but if he's shown himself a decent starter, we're going to have to give up something or someone good. Who do you think the Bucs would want? Gilmore? A. Williams? Sign Spiller then trade him?

It's not a Bad Thing to trade for the player you really need who will get you over the top - ref. Bills trade for Bennett - but to make any sense for the organization, 1) you have to be sure it's the player you really need to move your team forward, not just Johnny Mightwannacompete 2) you need to be careful you aren't filling a hole with one hand and digging it with the other.

That's my argument against such talk. If the feeling is "hey, if we had (fill in the blank - Kaepernick? Tannehill? who do you like?) that would really put us there, and the '9ers really need a (fill in the blank again - stud linebacker- Alonso?) and while he's really good, we managed to be a Top 5 D without him this year so we have him to spare.... well hey.

But if the feeling is "I wouldn't mind trading some really good talented young player from one part of our roster and a couple of draft picks in order to bring in a so-so player who might maybe compete with our so-so player" it's not a stout plan. It's a plan from the Planet of Eternal Losing Seasons.

See my point?

Edited by Hopeful

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, if genius chip Kelly is willing to trade Foles (his only viable starting QB) to you for, say a 2nd round pick, don't you think you ought to be a little concerned that you are being fleeced?

Sure, it would be different if if the Eagles had a better option than Foles, but that isn't the case - buyer beware!

Genius Chip Kelly wants Mariota more then any team wants any player in this years draft. If he doesn't figure out a way to make that happen obviously Foles would be off the table.

As for the people comparing foles to anything we have, dogging him, saying he's not worth it. Most are refrencing one year, last year, his 3rd year in the league. Most sare saying he's a turnover machine. In 2013 he had 27 TD's and 2 Int's. Using that as a basis to analyze his future is just as stupid as using 2014. At the least, that 2013 year shows a better season then any quarterback we have had since Jim Kelly. For his career he has 46 TD passes and 17 INT's. What an atrocity for what will be a 4th year QB. On top of it all he's a downfield thrower, not a check, check, check. If you don't want Foles or think a better, more likely candidate could be avaliable I'm all ears. Based on age, performance, and trade likelihood, he is the best possible option and I'm convinced he will be wearing a Bills uniform next year.

Edited by KzooMike

EJ Manuel is a better QB than Nick Foles. That's right. The gap is very close, but as the years go by that gap will be a grand canyon.

Nick Foles is a statue and a turnover machine. The only reason he had success last year was due to Kelly's play churning system being so new in the NFL. If Manuel were an Eagle this year he would have been the starter and be in the top 10 of most QB statistics.

EJ Manuel played slightly better than Foles did this year and Manuel had the anchor of the worst offensive system in the league to deal with while Foles had Chip Kelly's QB friendly system.

I know many here will flame away at me for saying all this, but the facts are the facts. The 2014 stats don't lie. EJ Manuel is only going to get better and better and one day become a long term solid starter while Nick Foles will always be an unathletic statue and forever a backup QB in the NFL. There's no way Foles is Kelly's starting QB next year.

BTW, if Marrone thinks Manuel is a horrible QB then I'm 100% sure Manuel is a franchise QB. Because that man is an idiot of epic proportions.

I agree that EJ's potential is greater than Foles. I don't know if I would be as optimistic as you in regard to how good EJ could be; however, I do agree that he would be far better under an offensive coaching staff that knew what they were doing. I have said it in other threads and I will say it again: I will hold off passing any judgement regarding the offensive talent on this team until I see what they do under a competent offensive coaching staff - which, I hope is assembled this off season. I remember when many fans were labeling some current defensive players as busts or not living up to their potential (i.e.; Aaron Williams, Marcel Dareus, Mario Williams) under Wannstedt...

Edited by billsfan1959

So people want to get a guy who was a pro bowler and had a near perfect since under Kelly, that Kelly wants to get rid of?

Kelly maximizes QB. He's the exact opposite of Marrone/ Hackett. If he does not want him, there is probably a pretty valid reason. I also believe Kelly would love to work with Manuel.

So people want to get a guy who was a pro bowler and had a near perfect since under Kelly, that Kelly wants to get rid of?

Kelly maximizes QB. He's the exact opposite of Marrone/ Hackett. If he does not want him, there is probably a pretty valid reason. I also believe Kelly would love to work with Manuel.

Wait, what? Kelly doesn't want Foles? He wants to get rid of him? Linky?

Yeah i see your point. IMO though, Foles isnt Kelly's type of QB. We all saw how fast Sanchez was, getting a play off every 11 sec. Foles just isnt that type of QB. Not every QB is like that. Plus Foles isnt a running QB. He's not a complete statue, but not a Vick or RG3 for sure.

If any team is willing to trade their starting QB, then the buyer should beware.

The only recent example of this that made sense for both parties was SF trading Alex Smith because they had Colin Kaepernick whom they wanted to make way for.

I can't think of many other situations where it a) happened and b) worked out well for the new team. It did work out for KC in the short-term when they traded for an aging Joe Montana, but again, SF was making room for Steve Young to play.

If Philly is willing to trade Foles without a clear replacement in place, then you probably shouldn't want Foles.

Bledsoe and Brady...sort of fits that scenario too. Or close to it.

And the Eagles would be willing to laugh and hang up the phone.

The Eagles would trade their 3rd or 4th RB for a 4th. Not their best QB. Please reference Bryce Brown.