Head Coach Candidate: Gary Kubiak

Mr. WEO

The Bills D got better when Schwartz came to Buffalo, too. Remember he wasn't DC in Detroit. I don't care if a guy is strong on the offensive side, or defensive side, head coach is responsible for the entirety of the team. That's why some of these "hot" coordinators or college guys scare me.

Schwartz wouldn't be my first, or second, or third pick either. But I might take him as an option if it guaranteed keeping the defense relatively intact. I'm definately against bringing in a DC with a "system" that doesn't' fit the talent on this team.

I bet everyone would be agaisnt that--including the GM and new HC, so I'm not sure why it's worth worrying about. Any new DC would be drooling to step in and ride this D's coattails like Schwartz has.

Sorry, but Gary Kubiak is the very definition of a retread head coach. He had 8 whole years to prove his worth as a head coach and it was a totally nondescript run. The guy is wall paper and his teams played that way. When it went south, it collapsed. The Texan players literally stopped playing for him. He is an NFL offensive coordinator, that's it. He had his chance with a very long run with the Texans and it is clear as day he is not a head coach that would get you anything but mediocrity.

The Bills need to hire the best head coaching candidate out there and Kubiak is a known failure as a head coach. 1 great season and 7 "so what" ones is a bad record. The Bills need a dynamic guy who players want to play for, and come to the Bills as free agents and resign their guys who are up for contracts. That's not Gary Kubiak.

Wrong again. 2 seasons with playoff wins and then the wheels fell off his starting QB and he was fired in-season.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong again. 2 seasons with playoff wins and then the wheels fell off his starting QB and he was fired in-season.

The whole Texan team quit that season. They quit on Kubiak. He had a very long run and it was as if the team said we are done with our mediocre head coach.

The Bills need a head coach like Dan Quinn who is the next Bill Cowher the Steelers had a very long and successful run with. He has the tough but fun football personality that players love to play for. Quinn is the perfect match for the Bills. They would have a tough personality and they would be seen as a team that is going places like Seattle was a few years ago.

Hiring Kubiak as your head coach is like shopping for wall paper at Sears or Kmart. Boring and uninspired to the nth degree.

The whole Texan team quit that season. They quit on Kubiak. He had a very long run and it was as if the team said we are done with our mediocre head coach.

The Bills need a head coach like Dan Quinn who is the next Bill Cowher the Steelers had a very long and successful run with. He has the tough but fun football personality that players love to play for. Quinn is the perfect match for the Bills. They would have a tough personality and they would be seen as a team that is going places like Seattle was a few years ago.

Hiring Kubiak as your head coach is like shopping for wall paper at Sears or Kmart. Boring and uninspired to the nth degree.

Name a "tough but fun football personality that players love to play for".

Name a "tough but fun football personality that players love to play for".

Jim Harbaugh

John Harbaugh

Pete Carroll

Chip Kelly

Sean Payton

Bruce Arians

Mike Zimmer

Maybe "fun" was a wrong word, these head coaches have an enthusiasm for the game that rubs off on their players. Which makes playing football more fun.

Jim Harbaugh

John Harbaugh

Pete Carroll

Chip Kelly

Sean Payton

Bruce Arians

Mike Zimmer

Maybe "fun" was a wrong word, these head coaches have an enthusiasm for the game that rubs off on their players. Which makes playing football more fun.

I think you can add Rex Ryan to the list.

Jim Harbaugh

John Harbaugh

Pete Carroll

Chip Kelly

Sean Payton

Bruce Arians

Mike Zimmer

Carroll is the only likely "fun one", Rex also. Neither one comes close to being "tough" on the players. Chip Kelly isn't either.

The rest aren;t fun at all, I would imagine--especially Payton.

Carroll is the only likely "fun one", Rex also. Neither one comes close to being "tough" on the players. Chip Kelly isn't either.

The rest aren;t fun at all, I would imagine--especially Payton.

You're wrong about Peyton. According to his players, his serious and intense demeanor on game day is legendary. They're terrified of it.

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far from Kubiak's O, especially considering things like losing Ray a Rice and their O-line reshuffle. I'm torn, however--I want the Ravens to win, but I'd prefer we can interview Kubiak this week. What to do?

If we're going to find our next HC out of the current Coordinators in the NFL, Kubiak is the guy I want. He's the only Offensive guy with enough HC experience and he's already worked with strong/independent DCs in Capers and Wade.

Edited by DrDareustein

Kubiak was Shanahan's offensive coordinator in Denver for a long time and is now having some success this year in Baltimore. The one thing I feel about his tenure in Houston as head coach was that he hitched his wagon to Matt Schaub for seven years and didn't waver from him until it was far too late during last season. Schaub was always an above average QB (although Kubiak got him to perform at a Pro Bowl level at times) and certainly was not going to be able to lead that team very far in the playoffs. He took that team as far as it could go without having an elite QB under center. I'm not trying to defend him by saying that was the only reason he got fired from Houston. But I believe he had more success than people give him credit for.

I like him a lot as an offensive coordinator. He's always used that zone blocking scheme to success and how many RBs have had 1,000+ yard seasons in DEN & HOU & BAL playing for him?... (T. Davis, M. Anderson, O. Gary, C. Portis, R. Droughns, S. Slaton, A. Foster, J. Forsett).

The one thing for certain is that Gary Kubiak will build a power run game that will support the QB, and in doing so will build a powerful O line. Its his MO.

Kubiak was John Elway's backup QB for a lot of years, and then became his QB coach. Elway gives Kubiak a ton of credit for helping him develop into a better player. He then became Denver's QB coach / OC under Mike Shanahan for 10 years.

In 2011 the Texans went 10-6, and In 2012 he took the Texans to a 12-4 record, and then in 2013 starting QB Matt Schaub (2-6) suffered a foot injury, and missed eight games. The team then imploded with Case Keenum (0-8), TJ Yates at QB. Their starting RB Arian Foster missed 8 games due to injuries, and even backup RB Ben Tate missed games.

Kubiak (2-11) suffered a mini stroke midway thru that season, and Wade Phillips (0-3) took over. He was fired on Dec 6th.

Dunno why the Bills hasn't even stated they will interview Kubiak, and he could be the man needed to build that power run game that the Bills have been missing for years. He also knows how to tutor a QB. Look what he did in Baltimore with Flacco. In 2013 Flacco 19 TD, 23 INT's and that Ravens offense was ranked 25th in points, and 29th in yards with Jim Caldwell as OC.

In 2014 Joe Flacco 27 TD's, 12 INT's, and that offense is 8th in points, 12th in yards. Plus Kubiak built a power zone blocking scheme that made backup RB Justin Forsett a star, and he is averaging 5.4 yards per carry. If you look at Justin Forsett's history he has been a bit of a bum bouncing from team to team as a backup, Indy, Sea, Houston, Jacksonville, and in 2014 Baltimore!

Not even getting a look.

Kubiak: great technician but not a leader. Best suited to the OC role.

I'm on board with Quinn as well. He WILL be a HC next year. I hope we land him and not the Jets.

I would be a bit concerned about Kubiak after that mini stroke. First and foremost I'm worried about the guy's health with another high pressure HC commitment. But I have to admit concern about its impact on his ability to do the job, too.

the Kubiak selection does seem to have merit as he is the current offensive coordinator and has helped Flacco succeed

It must have been hard helping Super Bowl Champion Joe Flacco figure it all out.

the Kubiak selection does seem to have merit as he is the current offensive coordinator and has helped Flacco succeed

Did Kubiak help Flacco or his right hand man Rick Dennison? Not that it matters as Dennison would likely be named our OC if we bring on Kubiak. which again is my top choice of what's out there.