Head Coach Candidate: Adam Gase

It does matter for hackett too- I was largely quiet on him last year as it was a tough spot. But through 2 years All we can argue is who was worse OC or QB.... You still haven't shown any reason to believe he overachieved and despite your CONSTANT comments towards anyone that doesn't like him ---- you agree he's likely below average. Its weird- I say he's below average and there you are chasing me for bashing him though.

I constantly defended Hackett last year and the beginning of this year. As much as anyone. He was put in an impossible situation last year. There was not an OC in the entire league who could have done well with what happened to the Bills last year.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Quinn's facial expressions make him a better candidate?

It's their overall demeanor. Quinn seems very much like a young Bill Cowher and Gase seems like a guy who would be in way over his head as a head coach. If I were a player and I had to pick between the two as who I'd want as my head coach, the choice wouldn't be close. It would be Quinn.

As far as facial expressions goes, I prefer the Bills head coach not having a permanent "deer in the headlights" look on his face. BTW, Quinn's defense kicked Gase's offense in last years Superbowl. But then again, this is the Bills we're talking about so I guess that's why they're going after Gase and not Quinn.

Edited by 1billsfan

I would take Reich first. For some reason, I think Frank is the man for the job. He has strong ties, can surely be innovative, is very cerebral, and I think guys would love playing for him.

And with zero experience at the highest level. He has 1 year of experience as an OC.

I know virtually nothing about Gase and have no opinion of him whatsoever either way. But it seems absolutely ridiculous for anyone to just simply say he has Manning and anyone could do well with Manning, as if that idea never occurred to the Bills or the several other teams that have been interested in him over the last two years. He's getting serious consideration because he deserves serious consideration. It's not like it's one team after him.

+1

I know virtually nothing about Gase and have no opinion of him whatsoever either way. But it seems absolutely ridiculous for anyone to just simply say he has Manning and anyone could do well with Manning, as if that idea never occurred to the Bills or the several other teams that have been interested in him over the last two years. He's getting serious consideration because he deserves serious consideration. It's not like it's one team after him.

If he is this special I wonder why Elway doesn't make him head coach in waiting. I can't see Fox coaching Denver beyond next season and I don't see Del Rio as a successor.

Marrone is getting serious consideration from multiple teams. Does that make him good?

Marrone is getting serious consideration from multiple teams. Does that make him good?

It doesn't make Marrone good, although he is pretty good. He's done the job. The point is only that Gase is not ONLY doing well because Peyton Manning is his quarterback. He's highly regarded. That wasn't even my point. My point was people act as if the other teams interviewing never thought of that. Which is impossible.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Living in Colorado I've seen a lot of Gase and his offenses the last few years -- he started here as WR coach back in the McDaniels years, then McCoy's QB coach (read: coached Orton and Tebow in 2011), then OC the last couple years. I have to say I'm not that impressed. The offense was fantastic at the start of 2013, but it was McCoy's and Peyton's offense with the added dimensions of Welker and the emergence of Julius Thomas (plus a surprise excellent year from Knowshon Moreno). Defenses started figuring it out toward the end of the year, and ever since the Seahawks completely shut them down, they just haven't been the same. Gase's minor adjustments didn't do much. After St. Louis beat them this year, Gase went with the heavy formation (blocking TE + extra eligible T) and they ran it effectively, but that's not really surprising when you commit so heavily to the run. Since that novelty wore off, they're having real problems finding a balance: they run well in the heavy formation, pass well in the spread, but not vice versa. I was much more impressed with McCoy, who managed to do a complete 180 in the middle of a season from Orton to a pure read option with Tebow, and somehow he made it work. And then made it work almost immediately the next year when Peyton came in. Gase is to McCoy as Marrone is to Sean Payton -- guys who get the credit for someone else's innovative schemes. I don't think he'll take Buffalo anyway, and I'm perfectly o.k. with that.

It doesn't make Marrone good, although he is pretty good. He's done the job. The point is only that Gase is not ONLY doing well because Peyton Manning is his quarterback. He's highly regarded. That wasn't even my point. My point was people act as if the other teams interviewing never thought of that. Which is impossible.

Marrone is pretty good? Yikes.

Marrone is pretty good? Yikes.

I'm glad he's gone. I don't like him. But to say he is a terrible coach, under any circumstances, is just not true. I think we won 9 games in spite of him more than because of him, but he does some stuff well. He hired Pettine and Schwartz. He gets the team ready to play. He was a big part of Dareus becoming the player he became. It took a lot of balls to play Orton. Again, I don't really like him and glad he is not here but not the worst coach ever.

I'm glad he's gone. I don't like him. But to say he is a terrible coach, under any circumstances, is just not true. I think we won 9 games in spite of him more than because of him, but he does some stuff well. He hired Pettine and Schwartz. He gets the team ready to play. He was a big part of Dareus becoming the player he became. It took a lot of balls to play Orton. Again, I don't really like him and glad he is not here but not the worst coach ever.

Exactly my feelings. :thumbsup:

Fair enough.

The point is only that Gase is not ONLY doing well because Peyton Manning is his quarterback. He's highly regarded. That wasn't even my point. My point was people act as if the other teams interviewing never thought of that. Which is impossible.

I don't think that anyone is questioning whether he's highly regarded, Kelly. The question is...is he as good as his rep or is he simply the beneficiary of a Peyton Manning led offense? It's a fair and valid question, IMO. He may very well be a viable HC and, hopefully, the interview process will uncover whether or not that is the case.

I don't think that anyone is questioning whether he's highly regarded, Kelly. The question is...is he as good as his rep or is he simply the beneficiary of a Peyton Manning led offense? It's a fair and valid question, IMO. He may very well be a viable HC and, hopefully, the interview process will uncover whether or not that is the case.

Totally agree with that. I will bet, however, that 90% of the fans here or any message board in the country mentioning they don't want Adam Gase because he is the OC for Peyton Manning don't know a thing about him except that.

Totally agree with that. I will bet, however, that 90% of the fans here or any message board in the country mentioning they don't want Adam Gase because he is the OC for Peyton Manning don't know a thing about him except that.

One thing I think we can all agree on...the Bills need to knock it out of the park this time around. The Pegulas are now on the clock...the new coach, whoever that may be, will not be a product of Ralph/Russ.

Please no

I regularly read the Broncos boards and they loathe him

That's right. And I think it's because everyone sees that after the Seahawks showed the way for slowing down Peyton's passing game, Gase hasn't been able to come up with any adjustments that give Broncos fans confidence that they could beat Seattle if they meet again. The heavy OL set is a gimmick, one that I'm surprised worked for as long as it did (and one that I'm surprised no other teams seem to try even if only to get past a QB injury ... I'm looking at you, Bruce Arians)