Who will Pollian get for QB ?

It will be Kirk Cousins. Very high on him. Polian said he was worth a 1st round pick before this season. Believes he is a franchise QB. 4 300 yard games in just 9 starts. Very good leader.

But now that Cousin's has actually played again and worked his way down to #3 on the depth chart, I'd be concerned about trading anything of much value for him.

No idea who the Bills will find for QB. I have to trust Polian as a better alternative to the guys who have been making that call the past few years. It is true Polian has had some luck in that regard, and maybe wasn't the QB genius many believe him to be. But he has had several successful QB decisions. I'll take that, luck or not.

I doubt it will be Polian's call.

It's going to be a combination of Whaley, Polian, the new HC and new OC discussing pros and cons of 20 different guys, along with phone calls with GMs of other teams and agents, with Whaley the one making the final call.

If Whaley is still with the team. I hope that is the case. But before the move is made, we are just guessing at whose call that will be.

I doubt it will be Polian's call.

It's going to be a combination of Whaley, Polian, the new HC and new OC discussing pros and cons of 20 different guys, along with phone calls with GMs of other teams and agents, with Whaley the one making the final call.

Kelly:

Bill Polian is a five time NFL Executive of The Year and is a lock to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

There is NO way Whaley will be making the final calls in the football department, especially as it relates to BIG IMPORTANT ones.

Not endorsing this but Bucs are likely taking Marriota so Glennon will be available on the cheap.

I don't hate Glennon. He is a bit thin, but that doesn't necessarily disqualify him.

Kelly:

Bill Polian is a five time NFL Executive of The Year and is a lock to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

There is NO way Whaley will be making the final calls in the football department, especially as it relates to BIG IMPORTANT ones.

There is every way that will happen. Polian is not going to be GM. That's the big difference. He's not coming in to take that job. He would have been furious if when he was GM of any of the three teams that he worked for and the guy in his position told him what to do. He will advise the GM, which is 95% going to be Whaley. Polian isn't going to be studying film and scouting Bowl games. That is what a GM does.

There is every way that will happen. Polian is not going to be GM. That's the big difference. He's not coming in to take that job. He would have been furious if when he was GM of any of the three teams that he worked for and the guy in his position told him what to do. He will advise the GM, which is 95% going to be Whaley. Polian isn't going to be studying film and scouting Bowl games. That is what a GM does.

Agreed. But not sure if the GM will be Whaley at this point. But he can heavily influence the pick. The closer the guy is to Polian the more that "advice" will influence the pick, IMO.

No, Kelly you have it it backwards.

If Whaley is here, HE will advise Polian.

Polian will pull the FINAL trigger on ALL MAJOR Decisions.

I am shocked you would think otherwise.

Right now we do not know what the job is that Polian will take. If it is Football Czar, and President, he will let his GM make these decisions. There is no way Polian is going back to doing GM duties. He hasn't done it for years and years. He didn't make the decisions the last few years he was running the Colts. I think you're sadly misinformed about how these things work. One of the reasons, if not THE main reason that Marrone is gone today is because he wanted to infringe on the GM job, and have a bigger say in the roster and these kinds of decisions. That was the power play. And he lost.

Right now we do not know what the job is that Polian will take. If it is Football Czar, and President, he will let his GM make these decisions. There is no way Polian is going back to doing GM duties. He hasn't done it for years and years. He didn't make the decisions the last few years he was running the Colts. I think you're sadly misinformed about how these things work. One of the reasons, if not THE main reason that Marrone is gone today is because he wanted to infringe on the GM job, and have a bigger say in the roster and these kinds of decisions. That was the power play. And he lost.

Actually I am not misinformed on how these things work.

Assuming you are correct then- if Polian was here when Whaley made his "aggressive" trade up for Sammy Watkins and felt very strongly that the moved shouldn't be made-Whaley would be able to still pull the trigger?

LMFAO ......you can't be serious......

You're right of course that Bill Polian would have an oversight position but Whaley would remain as GM.

But there have been some interesting tweets suggesting that it was uncertainty about the future that caused Marrone to exercise the opt out clause.

I.E., the future was looking amorphous for Marrone and he didn't know what Pegula would do in terms of bringing in a Czar or what not or how that would work. I think he then attempted to gain some security in that uncertain world by asking for an extension contract, which Pegula was not prepared to do. And rightfully, too!

So Marrone split.

Anyway, If in fact Polian comes in as "Czar consultant" presumably Whaley would retain GM duties, unless he is about to leave town too!

Who knows what is going on over there right now and how this will resolve itself when all the smoke clears.

Actually I am not misinformed on how these things work.

Assuming you are correct then- if Polian was here when Whaley made his "aggressive" trade up for Sammy Watkins and felt very strongly that the moved shouldn't be made-Whaley would be able to still pull the trigger?

LMFAO ......you can't be serious......

That type of scenario would have to be sorted out up front. I think the uncertainty of how things like that would work out is what made Marrone ask for greater security via an extension. And then when that was denied, he split.

You do raise a good point though. Even if Whaley retained the bulk of GM duties, presumably, the buck would have to stop with some individual, and not "decision by committee."

The reports are that Polian will be taking over Nix's role but of course we won't know until January apparently because of commitments he has. Whaley made it clear in the season ending press conference that he's in charge of the 53 and the coach is in charge of the 46. To me that translates to the GM makes the decisions on what players are acquired and let go. I don't think it will be the coach or OC's decision although I'm sure questions will be asked of whoever that will be. I do however believe that if Polian is confirmed and Whaley stays as GM that Polian will be heavily involved in the player acquisition decisions.

I know he hasn't been making GM decisions for years and years but he has at least been commentating on what teams should do as part of his role with ESPN, so clearly he has been staying current with players.

I believe he'll have some insight on who we should go after. My guess is that it will be a young player that has been in the league but isn't playing. I hope its someone like Zac Dysert or Osweiler.

You're right of course that Bill Polian would have an oversight position but Whaley would remain as GM.

But there have been some interesting tweets suggesting that it was uncertainty about the future that caused Marrone to exercise the opt out clause.

I.E., the future was looking amorphous for Marrone and he didn't know what Pegula would do in terms of bringing in a Czar or what not or how that would work. I think he then attempted to gain some security in that uncertain world by asking for an extension contract, which Pegula was not prepared to do. And rightfully, too!

So Marrone split.

Anyway, If in fact Polian comes in as "Czar consultant" presumably Whaley would retain GM duties, unless he is about to leave town too!

Who knows what is going on over there right now and how this will resolve itself when all the smoke clears.

That type of scenario would have to be sorted out up front. I think the uncertainty of how things like that would work out is what made Marrone ask for greater security via an extension. And then when that was denied, he split.

You do raise a good point though. Even if Whaley retained the bulk of GM duties, presumably, the buck would have to stop with some individual, and not "decision by committee."

Good points. Not every organization works the same way. In some, the owner (or his representative) has a lot of sway as to who is drafted or traded for. I think Kelly is saying Polian doesn't have the reputation of overruling the GM. But until all the decisions are made, we really don't know much at this point. If Whaley stays on, I would assume he will be given assurance the draft will be his ultimate call. I can't imagine him staying otherwise. He WILL be in great demand, should he leave--of this I am fairly certain. But if Polian brings in "his guy" we really can't be sure he/she won't sway easily to Polian's "advice".

The reports are that Polian will be taking over Nix's role but of course we won't know until January apparently because of commitments he has. Whaley made it clear in the season ending press conference that he's in charge of the 53 and the coach is in charge of the 46. To me that translates to the GM makes the decisions on what players are acquired and let go. I don't think it will be the coach or OC's decision although I'm sure questions will be asked of whoever that will be. I do however believe that if Polian is confirmed and Whaley stays as GM that Polian will be heavily involved in the player acquisition decisions.

I know he hasn't been making GM decisions for years and years but he has at least been commentating on what teams should do as part of his role with ESPN, so clearly he has been staying current with players.

I believe he'll have some insight on who we should go after. My guess is that it will be a young player that has been in the league but isn't playing. I hope its someone like Zac Dysert or Osweiler.

Not Osweiller!! Ha. I'm an ASU fan and saw every pass he's thrown. He's not very good, although he throws a great deep ball and we would have some long TDs to Watkins.

But... all teams have 3-4 guys that have a say in personnel decisions. Of course they do. But the only one that really makes a difference is the guy who makes the final call. Very few coaches have that. Bellichick is one. Pete Carroll is one. I'm not sure who else does. The Seahawks even let Carroll pick his GM. But 90% of the teams, the GM has the final say. Polian is not only not going to have that job, but he would likely never tell a GM this is what you have to do. It's like the army and a chain of command. One guy has to have final say, especially in an incomplete science like choosing who may be good in the pros.

Edited by Kelly the Dog