Raiders interested in Russ Brandon

Jerry Jabber

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora 1m1 minute ago

Three names I continue to hear interest the Raiders as a potential team president: Russ Brandon (BUF), Kevin Warren (MIN) and Mike Holmgren Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora 2m2 minutes ago

Brandon's ability to grow revenue in such a small market to the point Bills sold well over $1B w/o a new stadium would appeal to Mark Davis

Chris Trapasso@ChrisTrapasso 1m1 minute ago

Telling you...what Russ Brandon did marketing wise for playoff-less #Bills over past decade would be viewed by many in NFL as job well done.

well he sure knows how make losing marketable so that makes sense.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why anybody would want to get rid of Brandon is beyond me.

There are those who look at Russ and the Bills in a certain way and immediately realize his continued value to this franchise. Then there are those that simply don't. Many of the latter group continue to conflate their frustration with many of Ralph's football decisions with Russ's inclusion in his inner circle. The two have to be viewed in isolation.

No one can dispute that Russ has performed his main function to perfection. It was only when Ralph began to step away from his normal overly involved approach to ownership and there was no one else to make football decisions that Russ reluctantly filled a void. He said himself at the time that he would do his best, despite his non-football background. Frankly, the elevation of Doug W and the hiring of Doug M are solid football moves. Most on here love the former and while many question the latter, as has been established on several anti-Doug M threads, Doug M is well thought of league wide and, again as noted elsewhere, led this team to a winning record with EJ and Orton.

Remember, he was still playing with Ralph's money, hence an established coach wasn't going to be part of the picture (I would say especially after Ralph sort of got played by Shanahan). Getting Doug M may have been viewed at the time as "the same old" but I think the better way to think about it is that he didn't let the organization's prior failures in going for the inexpensive "elevate the coordinator" route prevent him from considering Doug M. Also, as a marketing wiz, you don't think Russ realized the possible negative fall out of elevating a Payton coordinator (i.e., not necessarily running the offensive show), who managed to win a few games with Syracuse, to the top job for the Bills. Of course he did. Yet (I suspect through consultation with many football people), he went that way anyway. That suggests that he possesses some fine management/decision-making skills.

I think Mr. Pegula will do himself a big favor by making sure there is a place for Russ going forward.

That's nonsense. Part of the reason his job is safe is because the Pegulas were involved with him and loved working with him during the entire sale process.

Of course they did. Russ is very very nice to billionaires.

I'm not sure he was all that nice to Rodgers, Trump and Metropolis. But thanks for playing.

Oh, you... Russ never met a billionaire he didnt like!

Me, ive never met one. Bet theyre super cool though :)

Edited by mastershake

Do you know, honestly, one person who has ever told you to your face, that was in a position to know, that Russ made football decisions in the last few years? One? There is zero reason to believe he has. None. Nada. There isn't even anyone here to my knowledge, of all the posters here, that makes that claim. That someone told him that is in a position to know, that Russ is making these decisions. Yet there are endless posters it seems, that do claim to know someone, including myself, that shows just the opposite. Everyone here that claims to have a source, whether it's true or not, whether you choose to believe them or not, says he doesn't make any, any, any football decisions. Those odds seem a bit odd.

So why does the consensus here want him to remain as the guy the GM & HC report to? I just don't get this!!

If he never, ever made a "football'' decision then why would it be that big a deal just to retain him as president of the non football operations side? Then hire someone who has prior experience along with a known history of making good judgement calls for the team.

Doug Whaley should stay as GM, but he needs someone with a sharp football mind over him to help with certain aspects of the team. Like not trading away the 2016 first round pick for any position other then QB. Like understanding that building a successful offensive line with immensely help the entire offense function properly. The scrubs Whaley has tried to obtain in replacing Andy Levitre have been a joke for the last two years.

The trading away of Stevie, while trading for Mike Williams, Bryce Brown. Then if the trade for Sammy Watkins had not been made for whatever reason the FO stated that the #1 pick would have been TE Eric Ebron, and the #2 Cyrus KouandJio :sick: Also, lets not forget that had he been able to make the trade up the Bills would have drafted RB Carlos Hyde. Just about every offensive draft pick, and offensive free agent obtained the last two years have been very questionable. It begs the question do the Bills even have decent college, offensive scouts?

I also don't see how two straight years of bad performance is neglected on the offensive side. The Bills have been top 10 worst on offense for two years in a row, and among the very worst in some meaningful stats. Like 31st in red zone scoring, and nothing was done during the season to even attempt to correct that situation.

As I see it, this franchise is desperate for a top football mind as president of the team.

Someone explain to me exactly why one of the very richest owners in the league still need Russ Brandon? As Terry Pegula stated, if I want to make money I'll drill another well.

So why does the consensus here want him to remain as the guy the GM & HC report to? I just don't get this!!

If he never, ever made a "football'' decision then why would it be that big a deal just to retain him as president of the non football operations side? Then hire someone who has prior experience along with a known history of making good judgement calls for the team.

Doug Whaley should stay as GM, but he needs someone with a sharp football mind over him to help with certain aspects of the team. Like not trading away the 2016 first round pick for any position other then QB. Like understanding that building a successful offensive line with immensely help the entire offense function properly. The scrubs Whaley has tried to obtain in replacing Andy Levitre have been a joke for the last two years.

The trading away of Stevie, while trading for Mike Williams, Bryce Brown. Then if the trade for Sammy Watkins had not been made for whatever reason the FO stated that the #1 pick would have been TE Eric Ebron, and the #2 Cyrus KouandJio :sick: Also, lets not forget that had he been able to make the trade up the Bills would have drafted RB Carlos Hyde. Just about every offensive draft pick, and offensive free agent obtained the last two years have been very questionable. It begs the question do the Bills even have decent college, offensive scouts?

I also don't see how two straight years of bad performance is neglected on the offensive side. The Bills have been top 10 worst on offense for two years in a row, and among the very worst in some meaningful stats. Like 31st in red zone scoring, and nothing was done during the season to even attempt to correct that situation.

As I see it, this franchise is desperate for a top football mind as president of the team.

Someone explain to me exactly why one of the very richest owners in the league still need Russ Brandon? As Terry Pegula stated, if I want to make money I'll drill another well.

Some posters want Russ gone all the way. Not just on the business side. And they fail to see his benefit in making the Bills a successful business.

Just because T Pegs doesn't want to make money, it doesn't mean he wants to lose money.

That's nonsense. Part of the reason his job is safe is because the Pegulas were involved with him and loved working with him during the entire sale process.

You're saying they offered 1.4 billion because they enjoyed working with Russ Brandon. That's nuts.

The negotiated price was 1.4 billion. It had absolutely nothing to do with Brandon the salesperson. If they keep him because they like him, that's their perogative.

Im sure he would like to keep control/say/involvement/whatever you want to call it over the football operations. If, in fact the Pegulas are going to reduce that role... and/or install someone new there. I could see Brandon leaving if he would be given a similar role as he had under Ralph Wilson.

It was always a long shot to me that the Bills would be able to keep Brandon for this very reason. Oakland could be a very good place for him to be. I give Brandon a great deal of credit for keeping the Bills viable in the NFL. He has gotten a great deal of criticism here, some of well deserved, but he has done great work for the Bills and is I am sure well regarded around the league. The Bills just may not be the right place for him right now.

Some posters want Russ gone all the way. Not just on the business side. And they fail to see his benefit in making the Bills a successful business.

Just because T Pegs doesn't want to make money, it doesn't mean he wants to lose money.

Seriously, Brandon was out of football operations and helped the team stay profitable while sucking for most of the bast 15 years. Keep him on the business side and at 1 Bills Drive.