Bandit's 2015 Draft Report - QBs

thebandit27

Bandit...what is your track record like when it comes to scouting QBs? You seem to be quite knowledgeable. I don't watch college football so I rely on the opinions of others to decide who the Bills should draft... B-)

For example, there were some people here screaming for the Bills (or any team) to draft Russell Wilson and that he would be a superstar.

I'm probably 50/50 when it comes to QBs. I wasn't one of the "table-pounders" when it came to Wilson...I would say I gave him around a 3rd round grade, which is to say that I felt he had the tools to be an NFL QB, but also had some limitations. To claim that I knew he'd be as good as he is would be an outright lie of epic proportions.

It's hard to really assess the quality of my evaluations, because to do so would mean giving myself credit for thinking guys like Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck would be good...yeah, that was pretty obvious to everyone.

I can tell you that I haven't been honestly sold on any QB after the 2012 draft...I did confess to liking EJ the best of the 2013 crop, and I while was a Bridgewater-over-anyone-else guy last year, I didn't exactly feel he'd be a franchise guy.

I'm probably not the last person you'd want to base your QB opinions on, but I can guarantee you I'm not the first.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably 50/50 when it comes to QBs. I wasn't one of the "table-pounders" when it came to Wilson...I would say I gave him around a 3rd round grade, which is to say that I felt he had the tools to be an NFL QB, but also had some limitations. To claim that I knew he'd be as good as he is would be an outright lie of epic proportions.

It's hard to really assess the quality of my evaluations, because to do so would mean giving myself credit for thinking guys like Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck would be good...yeah, that was pretty obvious to everyone.

I can tell you that I haven't been honestly sold on any QB after the 2012 draft...I did confess to liking EJ the best of the 2013 crop, and I while was a Bridgewater-over-anyone-else guy last year, I didn't exactly feel he'd be a franchise guy.

I'm probably not the last person you'd want to base your QB opinions on, but I can guarantee you I'm not the first.

Awesome..thanks for your candour.

After reading whatever I did on the QBs from last year, I also thought Bridgewater would turn out as the best of them all. I feel even more strongly about that now after watching him play this year. I think he'll be the best QB to come out of the last two drafts actually.

It’s nearing draft season again, and this year I’ve decided to expand my prospect research to whole positions. I’ll be targeting the ones I feel are most important for Buffalo, so I’m starting with QBs. I spent the last week or two grinding through as much college game video as I could find for the prospects that will be available after the 1st round (most of it was on draftbreakdown.com, which has every throw these guys have made from many games dating back to 2012).

What are your thoughts on Chuckie Keeton?

I remember Wilson getting some love on this board prior to his draft. Wish OBD had felt the same.

Like QB Bills, I don't watch college ball and get most my draft information here at TBD. The Bandit's QB evals will stick in my head on draft day and I'll be hoping for Bridge or Petty. I'm of the school of thought that QBs are so important that you keep drafting them until you're reasonably sure you have your franchise starter.

Many of us haven't felt that way since Kelly. For others, it's been since Bledsoe or Flutie. In any case, it's been a looong time. So let's keep drafting.

What are your thoughts on Chuckie Keeton?

Oh man, this probably won't be popular, but...Keeton looks like a train wreck to me. Sidearm delivery, skittish in the pocket, wildly inaccurate, too loose with the football, exposes himself to way too many hits, among other things.

I watched that Wake Forest game multiple times, and it just soured me right off the kid. He threw maybe five passes that hit a WR in stride, and I think only one came from the pocket--it was ugly.

I just don't see him throwing the majority of passes in an NFL route tree.

Great stuff, Bandit. Hundley looks good when I watch him. My UCLA friends, who are often homers, think he won't be a good pro though. Too many poor decisions and bad throws/bad plays under pressure.

Did you watch any games of Taylor Kelly (pre-injury)? He'll never be a franchise guy, so it's probably no use drafting him, but he could be a solid backup if he evolves. He's a much better QB than Osweiller is and he has a plum job in the NFL.

Here's the video on Bridge if anyone hasn't seen it:

Dude...that...arm...

Great stuff, Bandit. Hundley looks good when I watch him. My UCLA friends, who are often homers, think he won't be a good pro though. Too many poor decisions and bad throws/bad plays under pressure.

Did you watch any games of Taylor Kelly (pre-injury)? He'll never be a franchise guy, so it's probably no use drafting him, but he could be a solid backup if he evolves. He's a much better QB than Osweiller is and he has a plum job in the NFL.

Haven't dug into Kelly...I'll have to do so...

Edited by thebandit27

I think the team needs to approach the season without considering EJ. They know he's an option, but they need to treat the position as though he's a non-contributor. That doesn't necessarily spell doom for EJ; just means that they should consider anything they get from him as found money.

While we may have slightly differing opinions of the possibility of EJ becoming a legit starter in the NFL, I agree with t his 100%. Well, maybe not 100% as I don't think the Bills NEED to pick a QB with their 2nd rounder and the reason they don't is EJ. But otherwise, yes, proceed as if you are looking for your QB.

Great analysis. I know next to nothing about some of these guys, so this is quite interesting. I think a key to finding a quality QB in the mid-later rounds is identifying a guy with solid mechanics and footwork, good football IQ, pocket awareness---whatever, but who just hasn't quite matured physically (arm strength, overall build, etc) and perhaps needs some challenges to make him better. Sounds pretty basic, I know. But when there are discussions of rebuilding a throwing motion (for example) or doubts about the guy's pocket presence, I get really nervous. I know just about anything can be taught, but some things seem a bit more innate than others. And expecting a guy to change the way he delivers the ball, after doing it this way for years, just seems like taking on a project that is almost doomed to fail.

Taking a break from the craziness that is Bills football, making my first batch of home brew (an amber English Ale)....and I have to say I like Bryce Petty A LOT....liked him last year and the year before that as well. Accurate thrower, good arm. Decent size. You should watch this game and give the Polian on/off debate a rest. This kid would make a decent QB to compete with EJ.

Taking a break from the craziness that is Bills football, making my first batch of home brew (an amber English Ale)....and I have to say I like Bryce Petty A LOT....liked him last year and the year before that as well. Accurate thrower, good arm. Decent size. You should watch this game and give the Polian on/off debate a rest. This kid would make a decent QB to compete with EJ.

Now, THAT'S the way to start the new year. :thumbsup:

Excellent post Bandit. I also liked EJ the best of the 2013 crop and I have seen nothing to change my view that if I had to take a QB from that class it was EJ. I thought Bridgewater was the "safest" pick last year but I was on record as saying Bortles was where I'd have gone. He showed some good bits this year but made too many poor decisions and I think starting so early on such a bad team will probably harm him in the long run.

I did confess to liking EJ the best of the 2013 crop, and I while was a Bridgewater-over-anyone-else guy last year, I didn't exactly feel he'd be a franchise guy.

I'm not as keen on Petty as you to be honest. I'm not sure how his game transitions to the NFL. I see some of the same Manziel issues that I saw in Johnny Football last year and your review touched on it too - he is guilty of trying to force it to his #1 read and I think he is too quick to go to playground football if he can't get it to that guy. I think if you draft Petty you have to be really strict with yourself and say "he sits and we work hard on him for a whole year no matter what" and don't do what the Jags did with Bortles this year for example and allow yourself to be rushed into playing him 3 or 4 weeks in.

Not seen anything at all of Bridge so will try and find at least some highlights (I know they never give you a true picture).

Bandit, would love to hear your opinion of Pro-Style QBs this year and who is above the rest. Maybe a 1,2,3 ranking. IMHO, the shortest distance between college QB and NFL ready QB are those who run a Pro Style Offense for 2 yrs or more with some individual success.