How about Michael Sam?

Joaquin1119

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should probably just end this thread on that note. In all seriousness, I sincerely hope that the people who are certain he has nothing to give in the NFL after, again, a pretty good preseason with the Rams last year, are not the same people who have these magical dreams of EJ becoming good someday.

If EJ comes out as gay I think he should start.

He's going on DWTS though, so he's definitely dedicated to bettering himself as a football player, and just being like the rest of the players.

Well, then we should definitely sign him. We could use a star linebacker.

Cool man. Look at it how you want. But I implore you to find me a season where Bruce Smith had 78% of his sacks in 3 games against his weakest opponents. Or are you just another guy who takes every discussion to their extreme to make an invalid point too?

And my argument doesn't need to prove that to you, the fact that he's been cut by 2 NFL teams and can't find a job besides dancing on tv should prove that to you. I was just saying that when the OP said he completely dominated in the SEC, that was an utterly false statement.

I believe there was one season where 78% of his sacks came against Jeff George alone.

Woah, woah! Let's not focus on the sexual orientation of this player, or any other. He, Michael Sam, is or was a prospect in the NFL at one time. The Rams let him go as did the Cowboys. It's probably wasn't his sexual oriention that was his downfall, but rather his lack of ability to be a cut it as an NFL player. Stop being haters and respect the individule that gives his heart and life to trying to make a difference. Michael Sam should be applauded for coming out and trying to make a difference. Is he a starter in the NFL? Probably not. But he did take the biggest step, (a ProBowl step IMO), in coming out. So let's show some respect to a man who has done more than any one of us could have ever dreamed of doing... Making an impact on the NFL.

Not to do the "horse, deceased, beating, one, for the use of" thing, but it probably is in part his sexual orientation that is his downfall. I say this because rguably worse DE were on call to try out in case of injury. It's not the gay thing alone, it's the gay thing combined with being a marginal talent that's keeping teams away in droves. For a great talent, you say f**k the controversy. For a marginal guy, whelp, there are lots of marginal guys out there, skip the controversy, Next!

I'd respect Sam more as a player dedicated to making it in the NFL if he'd kept his head down and kept grinding and turned down all the talk show ops, DWTS etc so as to minimize the perceived distraction. It would also, IMO, have helped him get more looks.

All that said, I don't see why we need a guy who was tried out 2x, proven marginal, and proven to court some media fluff and distraction, possibly to the detriment of his training. Bring in guys who aren't tried and could be good.

Edited by Hopeful

Not to do the "horse, deceased, beating, one, for the use of" thing, but it probably is in part his sexual orientation that is his downfall. I say this because rguably worse DE were on call to try out in case of injury. It's not the gay thing alone, it's the gay thing combined with being a marginal talent that's keeping teams away in droves. For a great talent, you say f**k the controversy. For a marginal guy, whelp, there are lots of marginal guys out there, skip the controversy, Next!

I'd respect Sam more as a player dedicated to making it in the NFL if he'd kept his head down and kept grinding and turned down all the talk show ops, DWTS etc so as to minimize the perceived distraction. It would also, IMO, have helped him get more looks.

All that said, I don't see why we need a guy who was tried out 2x, proven marginal, and proven to court some media fluff and distraction, possibly to the detriment of his training. Bring in guys who aren't tried and could be good.

Hit the nail on the head.

Agree 100 %.

That, in particular. It was a clear indication that he wanted to be (or someone was advising him to be) a "gay football player," rather than a "football player who's gay."

The NFL will put up with a hell of a lot. What they won't put up with is football playing second fiddle to anything (which is why Leonard Little - "a football player who killed" - had a career, but Aaron Hernandez - "a killer who played football" - is out of the league.)

Well hes back with the "I'm not the only gay player in the NFL"

http://www.gulflive.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/michael_sam_says_hes_not_the_o.html

For starters he's not in the NFL. Secondly why doesn't he respect the alleged gays in the NFL instead of fueling speculation?

Idk if its him or the media keeps this going, but they need to stop. Its gotten old now

Edited by JTSP

Well hes back with the "I'm not the only gay player in the NFL"

http://www.gulflive.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/michael_sam_says_hes_not_the_o.html

For starters he's not in the NFL. Secondly why doesn't he respect the alleged gays in the NFL instead of fueling speculation?

Idk if its him or the media keeps this going, but they need to stop. Its gotten old now

"Hopefully I'm not being discriminated [against] because I'm gay," Sam added. "I don't believe that I'm being discriminated [against] because I'm gay. I just want to know if I'm truly not in the NFL, it's because of talent. Let it be because of my talents."

Sam participated in the NFL combine and ran a 4.99 in the 40-yard dash.

Oh, it's because of your talents.

That, in particular. It was a clear indication that he wanted to be (or someone was advising him to be) a "gay football player," rather than a "football player who's gay."

The NFL will put up with a hell of a lot. What they won't put up with is football playing second fiddle to anything (which is why Leonard Little - "a football player who killed" - had a career, but Aaron Hernandez - "a killer who played football" - is out of the league.)

Nail. Head. Whack-a-moley.

Why wouldn't the NFL force a team to sign him? That would show the world we're really willing to make up for the injustices done to gay people. Then the existing gay NFL players would feel more comfortable coming out and then we could put in place policies forcing teams to have a certain amount of gay players.

Why wouldn't the NFL force a team to sign him? That would show the world we're really willing to make up for the injustices done to gay people. Then the existing gay NFL players would feel more comfortable coming out and then we could put in place policies forcing teams to have a certain amount of gay players.

While you are at it I feel the Asian community is under represented too.

Lets say if Hughes wants a big contract. Do you think the bills should sign Michael Sam? Yes i know he gay, but I honestly believe this kid is truly hungry to play in nfl. I also would like to think he would fit just right in our Dline. I would sign this kid and see how he does in training camp and pre season.

no. too much drama. who needs it