Has Marrone's hand been forced?

With the retirement of Kyle Orton and the lost faith in Manuel, and add the fact that the QB FA crop is average at best, AND no first round pick, does Marrone pull the rip cord and exercise his out clause within the next few days? Seems very possible...

because his team is not perfect? Do you think he would get any offers if he leaves? How would he sell a GM on his OC and the Bills offense this year?

With the retirement of Kyle Orton and the lost faith in Manuel, and add the fact that the QB FA crop is average at best, AND no first round pick, does Marrone pull the rip cord and exercise his out clause within the next few days? Seems very possible...

Does thinking a 10-year vet is more developed than a guy who has less than a full season's worth of games under his belt mean that somebody has lost faith in EJ?

Does thinking a 10-year vet is more developed than a guy who has less than a full season's worth of games under his belt mean that somebody has lost faith in EJ?

If Manuel was still thought of as the quarterback of the future of this team, yesterday in a meaningless week 17 game would've been the time to see what he had. Marrone still did not play him...

No chance. If this team had an average to bad defense, maybe. Look, he went 9-7 in a year when he had a top-3 NFL defense and a below average offense. He gets most of his DST guys back next year. If I'm in his shoes, what's my motivation to opt out? Where do I go? His upside is improving on 9-7 and making the playoffs next year. I think the opposite in terms of whose hand has been forced. I think Orton was counseled into retirement. Best way to go for a 10 year NFL player.

If he opts out it is not like losing Vince Lombardi or Tom Landry. I like Marrone and the players like him but he does not strike me as a guy who can get this team to the next level. He is a place setter and if he leaves, the next coach will have to be a marked improvement in results. Tony Dungy could not do it in Tampa Bay, Gruden came in and got them a championship. Dungy learned and won with Indy.

oh good, we can miss the playoffs for 5 more years then.

Arizona says hi. So do the Detroit Lions.

And last year's Eagles, Chiefs, and Chargers.

Coaching turnover does equate no playoffs except when you hire Dick Jauron or Chan Gailey. Every coach we fired deserved it. The guys they hired after were just not good.