Orton Retires (per twitter)

JimBob2232

I don't agree with your assessment of Whaley but yesterday on the Orton fumble he got away from the sack, then turned around to look for the guy again, then didn't secure the ball and fumbled. Right then and there I thought he just doesn't care one bit.

I can't imagine that had anything to do with "caring". When he's in that mess, he is reacting, not thinking or caring. I'll tell you what though: When he turned and looked back I thought "This is what drives me up the wall about Orton." He has too much experience to make these kinds of mistakes---but he makes them. He was never more talented then a solid #2, but he could have made the most of his talent by using his experience to avoid mistakes--particularly sacks and fumbles.

I don't think Whaley was behind bringing in Orton. I think that was Marrone. Wasn't that the big sideline dispute in TC was about? The fact that marrone didn't think he had any decent QBs? It occurred prior to Orton's arrival. Marrone was right about Orton in that he was an upgrade over what they had.

Rumor had it Whaley was pursing Orton most of the offseason, so it's hard to believe he was against it. The wild speculation about what the dust-up on the sidelines results to part of a conversation, overheard by reporters. The constant referral to that dispute when something goes wrong is humorous to me.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even IF I gave you that.... Then there would be absolutely no excuse for him fumbling there. If he is looking to see if he could pass then he needed to get rid of it quickly or put 2 hands on the ball to secure against the sack. It isn't the first time I've seen him prepare for a sack that didn't happen. It looked a lot more like he expected to get hit and turned around to brace for it.

There is absolutely no way you predicted the Bills to win 10 or 11 games at the beginning of the season.

Yeah still no excuse for the fumble. That was bush league.

At that point either dump or run not stable around in the pocket and fumble.

We certainly would have at least won the Texans game.

that puts us at 10 and possibly in the playoffs.

But by all means, let the caterwauling continue unabated.

He also lost the KC game miserably coming out of the bye week....

Are you mathematically challenged?

If we'd won the Houston game, even WITH a loss at Oakland, we'd be at 10 wins.

No, I'm not mathematically challenged. My point is, given the Oakland game, what makes you so certain he was going to win the Houston game? How do you not see the hypocrisy in your argument?

And EJ, had he played like he did the first two weeks, may have actually been able to beat KC, Denver and Oakland. Games were Orton was absolutely dreadful.

We could do these ridiculous hypotheticals all day. Won't change the fact that Orton was a lousy QB more interested in self-preservation than winning. Again, good riddance to a mediocre QB and Marrone's security blanket.

The thing is, league average QBs aren't great every week. They have bad games. It's a mix.

I gave up correcting this as soon as I saw it posted the first time. Everyone acting like they were saying he was scared. No, he was just seeing if he had room to pass. Sure, he didn't play the play well but he wasn't left with many options.

How about covering up and holding the ball with 2 hands?!?!

No, I'm not mathematically challenged. My point is, given the Oakland game, what makes you so certain he was going to win the Houston game? How do you not see the hypocrisy in your argument?

I'm 100% certain he would have performed better than EJ Manuel in that game.

I guess that the dead horse will be beaten all offseason but I really believe that the team was in a much better position with Orton this year than EJ. Orton was average. The Bills next QB will be a vet with some question marks IMO. They have a chance to be good or bad but not ok.

We will be having this discussion again if we sign Bradford or Cutler.

Good luck, Kyle. Thanks for most things.

I don't think it says a thing about what they think of EJ. I think Marrone did what he said he did, which is try to win the game. He was doing it because that is his job and is job coud have depended on it. Beating the Pats almost assured he would stay. 8-8 after two losses in a row including a huge upset, there is a question mark. One game before, we had beaten the Packers. He thought he knows what he has in Oton and doesnt know what he has in EJ off for ten weeks. It was a no brainer to start Orton if you wanted to win, or save your job.

I doubt Orton told the coaches or management anything. It could be they told him he would have to come to camp and beat out EJ or another guy for the job, and then he retired.

It could be that he checked out a month ago but I doubt it with the playoffs a possibility. He probably just didnt like the position he was put in, didnt like getting hit anymore, and realize that he couldn't move fast enough to avoid it anymore. He hadn't played in two years. He probably didnt know he was that immobile.

Maybe he just realized he couldnt truly succeed here without getting killed.

Excellent post. Reasonable speculation.

"Hi you've reached the voicemail of Bryce Brown. I'm not here right now, busy fumbling a sure TD. Please direct all calls to Kyle Orton"

Clearly a bad play,... but Orton was miserable in it and shares some blame on it

Orton playing behind one of the very worst O lines in the NFL this season

With an offensive coordinator who called for 579 passes vs 402 rushes, and against some of the best defenses in the NFL

*The most experienced starting WR on the team was 2nd year player Robert Woods

Kyle Orton 3,018 yards, 18 TD's, 10 INT's QBR 7-5

To the fans thinking the team is better off without him :nana:

lol this is gonna be a interesting off season

"Hi you've reached the voicemail of Bryce Brown. I'm not here right now, busy fumbling a sure TD. Please direct all calls to Kyle Orton"

Look, I'm sorry that you'll have to change your avatar, but Orton retired. He wasn't good enough to make the playoffs. He had a good look at it, and didn't do enough to win the KC, MIA, or OAK games.

You can continue your hindsight crusade, but I won't see it, since I'm blocking you.