Spiller good as gone?

Codyny13

As much as I feel the current regime doesn't know how to use him and the oline obvi sux ass. The fact is Freddie and boobie have had much more success, and I believe marrone favors a power running game. We need our funds to bolster some weaker areas, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the bills take a rb in round 3. That being said, I really wouldn't b surprised to see C.J in Philly. McCoy is due some 20 million over the next 2 years and would save 8 million by parting ways with him this year. They are similar running backs, and we know Philly has coveted Spiller for a cpl of years with Chip Kelly in charge. We'll see what happens. Do you guys think Buffalo will resign Cj?

Edited by Codyny13

As much as I feel the current regime doesn't know how to use him and the oline obvi sux ass. The fact is Freddie and boobie have had much more success, and I believe marrone favors a power running game. We need our funds to bolster some weaker areas, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the bills take a rb in round 3. That being said, I really wouldn't b surprised to see C.J in Philly. McCoy is due some 20 million over the next 2 years and would save 8 million by parting ways with him this year. They are similar running backs, and we know Philly has coveted Spiller for a cpl of years with Chip Kelly in charge. We'll see what happens. Do you guys think Buffalo will resign Cj?

Interesting take on this. How would you use him differently?

I'd be surprised if he's retained. I'd hope they'd rather spend money on productive players on the defensive side of the ball. I like Spiller, but the production just hasn't been there. Add the fact that he's injury prone and it doesn't make much sense for the Bills to overpay here.

I would be surprised if he is gone. He has a player option on his rookie deal and there is no way he is going to make more next year if he hits free agency (he is due $5.9 mil). He'll want another opportunity to have a career year before hitting the market to try and make bank. As it stands I think he'll get a 3-year, $10 mil deal like Sproles if he voids his contract and tests FA.

I would be surprised if he is gone. He has a player option on his rookie deal and there is no way he is going to make more next year if he hits free agency (he is due $5.9 mil). He'll want another opportunity to have a career year before hitting the market to try and make bank. As it stands I think he'll get a 3-year, $10 mil deal like Sproles if he voids his contract and tests FA.

I didn't realize he had a player option. That makes it more interesting but even still, I'm sure he won't prefer to play on that. An injury away from a lost career.

So, you are essentially asking "should the Bills retain CJ Spiller"?

Search for answers here...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/174592-should-the-bills-retain-cj-spiller/

I didn't realize he had a player option. That makes it more interesting but even still, I'm sure he won't prefer to play on that. An injury away from a lost career.

he actually does not have a player option. It was automatically voided in 2012 when he hit production qualifiers. He is a FA.

A classic example of Bills GM and coaching staff not being on the same page - Marrone and Hacket did not want that type of back and really has no idea how to best utilize his talents. This had to be recognized and CJ should have been traded before the season for any pick you could get.

Spiller is likely gone. I think its best for both teams to move on from each other. Spiller needs to be in a different offense, one that will use him like a Sproles type back. The Bills have a decent assortment at RB, enough where they don't have to waste the 2-3 million in cap space to retain Spiller. The team should bring in a mid/late round RB just to add another RB to the mix. Freddie is a role player, Boobie is limited, and Brown un-proven. Getting another back in the 4th round or later adds another option to the team. Keeping Spiller doesn't add much.

The only hope for him I think is if they move on from Hackett. He was awesome under Gailey in the spread. Maybe marrone and co think it's more the o-line and want him back. We'll find out soon.

The Dougs have expressed interest in keeping Spiller around. Hackett was extremely excited to have him (never did get him to puke though). That being said, I don't think he stays.

OL is a major issue, but he clearly suffers from a lack of field vision. Jackson was considerably slower this year, but saw the field so clearly and was shifty as ever. Spiller wasn't on the field enough to benefit from all those checkdown throws Freddy got. I wonder if he would have done better in those situations.

Edited by Big C