Report: Marrone has 3-day out clause due to new ownership

YoloinOhio

I don't think he can get an offer until he opts out. Otherwise it's tampering.

the bills would have to give him permission. I think they would. He'd be essentially on a one year deal since next year is win or get fired. He might think taking a new job would be more beneficial since he might look worse getting fired

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard the same thing. It's enough to make me wonder how he is paid incomparison to his peers. I think I read somewhere once (or a million times) that Ralph was cheap. I also wonder if this gives him leverage regarding possible tweaks (like the OC). Does this window result some sort of advantage to him in terms of dollars or power? I'm sure the Pegulas have some inclination regarding their coach already. Obviously, it matters not what I think of him - only what they and their advisors think.

Word is Marrone makes 3.5 mil. 2nd to the lowest in the league. Not sure about the accuracy of this chart, but I think it's close:

http://coacheshotseat.com/NFLCoachesSalaries.htm

I don't think Marrone was paid so little just because Ralph was cheap, but because Marron'e experience didn't warrant paying him more at the time. He doubt he was making a buttload of money at Cuse. Someone like Shanny or Cowher would clearly have been offered more, had they been wiling to negotiate with the Bills, at the time.

I don't think he can get an offer until he opts out. Otherwise it's tampering.

Can't imagine a scenario where he could---officially that is. But it's no secret back door deals and offers are made all the time in the NFL.

Rooney rule makes a 3-day window worthless for an NFL move. Only chance he'd make a move is to return to college, and with Michigan filled by Harbaugh, and no other prestigious opportunities available, that ain't happening.

Or, as many HCs have in the recent past, have a hand shake deal in place while the team goes through the Rooney motions. I hate the way some teams get around the spirit of the Rooney rule. But even when it's flaunted, it still serves a positive purpose, IMO. Gives interviews to guys who may otherwise never be given that opportunity. Interviews give interviewing experience and exposure. Win/win really, for both sides.

Word is Marrone makes 3.5 mil. 2nd to the lowest in the league. Not sure about the accuracy of this chart, but I think it's close:

http://coacheshotsea...hesSalaries.htm

BTW, the top 30 or so NCAA head coaching jobs are pretty much in line, salary wise, with the NFL

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Edited by The Dean

Rooney rule makes a 3-day window worthless for an NFL move. Only chance he'd make a move is to return to college, and with Michigan filled by Harbaugh, and no other prestigious opportunities available, that ain't happening.

Good point. Have to assume clause was in there in case team had a new owner buy in and it looked like team as going to move ...and it backs a situation like Cleveland , only for a full year, not 6 games or so.

Wondering if that is part of the silence from OBD. I would think if it was "status quo" over at OBD, they would have said something by now. So much speculation out there, one would think they would address

I know you idiot. You post the same thing in every thread. You are a one-note guy who can't even make that note interesting. You have always contributed NOTHING to the forum. But at least you are consistent.

And it's Pegula, not Pagula you simpleton.

He wants to fire the water boy! The freaking water boy!...That's hardcore! ;)

Good point. Have to assume clause was in there in case team had a new owner buy in and it looked like team as going to move ...and it backs a situation like Cleveland , only for a full year, not 6 games or so.

Wondering if that is part of the silence from OBD. I would think if it was "status quo" over at OBD, they would have said something by now. So much speculation out there, one would think they would address

I get your point. And in the twitter world we are so used to instant reactions. But I don't think Pegula is going to be that kind of guy. Other than squashing rumors, there really isn't any reason to rush the process. I don't believe Terry has made those decisions yet.

He wants to fire the water boy! The freaking water boy!...That's hardcore! ;)

He wants to fire Adam Sandler? Oh, I meant Adam Sander.

Disclosure of the opt out in Marrone's contract has been widely disseminated. I do not believe this is an accident. Possibly it is coming from his agent. We all know that agents have conversations with teams all of the time. Maybe a formal offer cannot be made, but I would expect that the parameters of a possible deal would be discussed in general terms. Under this scenario, Marrone would opt out only if a deal looks certain and then formally negotiate with the interested team or teams and sign shortly after opting out.

I may be wrong, but I think that Marrone, to the world outside of Buffalo and our message boards, is perceived to have undertaken a difficult situation and made the best of it under very difficult the circumstances. Losing an owner, having a bidding process for the team, getting a new owner, having a losing culture after not making the playoffs for 14 years, having a rookie GM, and not having a starting caliber QB on the roster would individually be problems. In the aggregate, these issues would be exceedingly difficult to overcome during the course of a season.

Edited by jahnyc

Please explain this post.

What are the reasons he was hired to you? To me it was to rebuild a franchise that had been stuck in mediocrity for over a decade. Which he did. The 2015 offensive cupboard is bare? I don't know what you are driving at here so please explain it further. I will then be glad to point out how you are wrong. :nana:

try reading the beginning of this topic, boy wonder ;)

it's human nature to internalize fragments of external information, to form opinions that are less based in fact, but in emotion. simply put, to tell oneself what you want to hear. but you can vet my opinions by reading some 2013 articles and interviews regarding Marrone's hire - ones you may have missed during all the excitement of gaining a promising new coach. you'll find information about what he brings, and what he plans.

i doubt you'll do that though, because it's also human nature to dismiss information that threatens personal beliefs - but they're out there.

included in some of that information, is an interesting ESPN article regarding the wisdom of college coaches bringing their collegiate staffs to the NFL. it examines the pros and cons of a few coaches - including Marrone. the author makes a point of Marrone bringing Hackett across in a 'lateral move' from the Cuse to 'develop' him as an NFL OC. he points out that this appointment has led to the additional hires of a QB coach and an Sr Offensive Assitant to support him. i agree with the author on this, which is why Marrone's 'tough guy' stance about 'not developing players in games' rings hollow to me. how many games did we lose because he allowed his protege to learn on the job?

Am I missing something? It appears to me this would mean he can negotiate with other teams during this period without tampering charges. Doesn't he always have an out clause... called quitting?

Edited by Augie

This year,. BO, this year. Did he go 20-12 THIS YEAR? And before you start with the QBs he had, Marrone had EJ and Orton. Just saying. Marrone's record this year was as respectable as Chip's given the talent and expectations of those teams. You can poo poo it,. Maybe you like Rex too and think he's a really good HC, as many here seem to think. It seems as though the posters on this forum judge our own FAR more harshly than they judge others.

I realize the math is complex, but I think 10-6 is vaguely comparable to 20-12.

So Marrone had the Bills by the balls this year. May explain some weird moves like giving up on EJ after 14 games.

Nothing weird about benching an incompetent...

The Bills have a very good HEAD coach. We haven't had a real head coach in a long time.

But yes he does hold all the cards here. Buffalo firing 9 win coach after only 2 years is a very bad look. Dan Snyder would even raise his eyebrows.

Fire Hackett,and see where the cards fall..

Marrone might want to get a verbal commitment from the FO regarding an escalation in the offensive talent level before committing to his return in 2015..

at the moment, whatever accomplishments the Bills have achieved in 2014 are being viewed as his doing by a majority of the media and fans. regardless if some of us view his tenure thus far as a failure.

if he's not delusional, he might reflect on the public image he currently enjoys, and measure it against the facts (with apologies to Dwight Shrute) ..

fact - he was hired as an innovative offensive mind, but had to ride the coat-tails of a championship caliber defense to win one more game than he lost.

fact - he was tasked with developing Fitz's replacement, but will enter his third season without a productive QB

fact - he and his offensive protege have designed a predictable, ineffective offense

fact - he cannot build a consistently productive, cohesive unit from the affordable offensive talent the scouts and GM have made available to him

if he's realistic, he might conclude that the adoration bestowed on a man who has failed so miserably, is not sustainable - and run to his most lucrative offer before next year's media parrots learn new lines, and a hopeful fan base feels, once again, betrayed

Can't dispute your facts, but on TBD the facts don't always lead to the same conclusion.

The opinion of Marrone is so negative throughout the league it's insane.

And by league, I mean this one football message board full of homers and those that won't be happy until we win 10 SBs in a row.

In actuality, he's well respected in the NFL, as he should be based on, oh I don't know, performance.

Bunch of fools on this board. You want him gone? Who's going to come in and do a better job? Let's just recycle the entire coaching staff and FO every 3 years. That's what championships are made of. <_<

The opinion of Marrone is so negative throughout the league it's insane.

And by league, I mean this one football message board full of homers and those that won't be happy until we win 10 SBs in a row.

In actuality, he's well respected in the NFL, as he should be based on, oh I don't know, performance.

Bunch of fools on this board. You want him gone? Who's going to come in and do a better job? Let's just recycle the entire coaching staff and FO every 3 years. That's what championships are made of. <_<

"those that won't be happy until we win 10 SB's in a row" ?????

Really ?

On a Buffalo Bills message board you make that statement ?

To think I often complain about the low expectations the Bills FO sets for this franchise, i.e. "make the playoffs" -- and here you complain about the fan base not being happy unless we win 10 in a row.

Dude, take a look at the last 15 years, no, the last 50+ years.

As for Marrone, I'd feel better defending him if the O Line and OC performed better. This team's limited success over his 2-year tenure has been about defense, and while he gets credit for Pettine/Schwartz it's a far cry from being something to put on his own resume