Sal Capaccio interview with Doug Marrone on WGR

YoloinOhio

good stuff, indeed didn't detect Marone being evasive, actually he was very straight forward with his answers, as he should be, some coaches and players do a smoke and mirror show for fans and media, I didn't get that in this interview, If his job is on the line Sunday, I couldn't detect that from his straight forward answers, and any suggestion interview was a set up is absurd

good stuff, indeed didn't detect Marone being evasive, actually he was very straight forward with his answers, as he should be, some coaches and players do a smoke and mirror show for fans and media, I didn't get that in this interview, If his job is on the line Sunday, I couldn't detect that from his straight forward answers, and any suggestion interview was a set up is absurd

he is on WGR every Fri morning. He is not a fan of Howard Simon I don't think, usually. This interview was well done by Sal.

Has anyone been direct and asked DM Why his O-line sucks? I think he is confusing effort with results. If he was an O-lineman, why does his O-line look like one of the worst ever fielded in Buffalo. With the exception of Levitre, it is essentially the same as last year and the Bills led the league in rushing.

Let me ask you? If Rex Ryan coached this present team, do you think we would have had more success? I bet you we would. IMO DM is in way over his head. He has been out-coached in several games. Why did he wait so long in the Raider game to go to the no huddle?? He is an absolute idiot. The offense started moving the ball effectively.

This defense kept him in every game and even won most of them despite his and Hacketts disfunctional offense. Unfortunately that may be enough to keep him around another year so next year I expect much of the same. Likely regression.

:wallbash:

Has anyone been direct and asked DM Why his O-line sucks? I think he is confusing effort with results. If he was an O-lineman, why does his O-line look like one of the worst ever fielded in Buffalo. With the exception of Levitre, it is essentially the same as last year and the Bills led the league in rushing.

Let me ask you? If Rex Ryan coached this present team, do you think we would have had more success? I bet you we would. IMO DM is in way over his head. He has been out-coached in several games. Why did he wait so long in the Raider game to go to the no huddle?? He is an absolute idiot. The offense started moving the ball effectively.

This defense kept him in every game and even won most of them despite his and Hacketts disfunctional offense. Unfortunately that may be enough to keep him around another year so next year I expect much of the same. Likely regression.

Agreed

I agree with you on Marrone but not much else. The Bills led the league in rushing attempts last year not rushing yards where they finished second. They were only 14th in yards per carry though so overall the line wasn't good last year either and was only able to produce because they ran it so much.

The Bills strength is with their defense so why would they have a better record with Rex Ryan who is a defensive coach? That doesn't make any sense and how do you make a statement like that without offering any reasons why you think they would be better?

The rest I agree with as the only positive impact Marrone has had on this team is hiring two good defensive coordinators. The offense especially the line is a complete train wreck which is all on Marrone. This team did not make the playoffs this year because of the offense which again is all on Marrone who some will ridiculously give a pass to using the QB excuse.

Edited by Max997

Levitate wasn't here last year- he left before the 2013 season. Last season was the Colin Brown and Legursky show.

Same results, though.

I don't know who makes the personal calls at Wgr but Howard Simon and Mike schoop are both Horrible . Schoop maybe the worst broadcaster in America . The entire station is obsessed with when to punt. Sal brings so much to the table it is hard to believe they can't find a regular spot for him

I tend to think Schopp is actually pretty good and makes a lot of sense. He has to put up with idiots calling to ask incredibly stupid questions or every caller just says the same thing. When stuff like that happens he's usually not the nicest and I can't say I don't blame him.

Why would someone wait on hold for an hour to get on the radio and just repeat what's been said for the last hour?

Schopp loves logic and rational. If you call and make interesting points or defend your side with good reasoning then he always responds well to it. At least from my experience listening.

If you call, waste the first 10 seconds to ask how he's doing, make a tired point and then immediately hang up to listen then he gets annoyed.

Edited by Bangarang

After hearing that interview. I think Marrone and Hackett should be fired. They are in over their heads. We need Jon Gruden, the Jaw or some experienced head coach that would know what to do with this talent. Maybe Jim Swartz is the answer.

Think about THIS decision by Marrone. When he gets hired by the Bills for their head coaching position he went about getting Mike Pettine as his defensive coordinator. A successful, well established and experienced coach in the NFL. Awesome move!

Ok, so the Bills "obviously" had plans to draft a rookie QB and I'm sure this was told to Marrone during the discussions about the job. Why in the world would he hire a rookie offensive coordinator in Nate Hackett if he knew this going into the job???? Wouldn't you think you would need to hire a guy that has proven success in the league? Just like he did with the defense? If you are drafting a QB who will be on the fast track to start, what in the world were Doug and the Bills thinking with regards to hiring a rookie OC who had proved nothing? As for Marrone, by all accounts his position as New Orleans OC was in name only, he was the O line coach there and did not call plays.

Shouldn't this be called franchise malpractice? How fair was it to EJ Manuel to have to be coached by a rookie? Manuel was a project to begin with and Nate Hackett was the guru to guide him through the bumps and bruises? Really?

I have no idea what Manuel will become, but the more I think about the Hackett hire with Marrone and the Bills KNOWING they were selecting a guy they want to become their franchise QB, it boggles the mind how stupid that was. They get Pettine for the defense and then they throw an anchor on EJ Manuel with Nate Hackett and tell him to swim. While EJ and Nate may both be duds, Marrone and the Bills did Manuel a MAJOR disservice in that hire.

Edited by 1billsfan

he is on WGR every Fri morning. He is not a fan of Howard Simon I don't think, usually. This interview was well done by Sal.

Have. It listened yet, but I agree with you on this. His interviews with Howard are a waste of time. But, Howard is pretty vocal about wanting Marine fired, so I can see how that is uncomfortable.

BTW, love both Howard and Jeremy.

Lovie Smith did using the same principles that Marrone is trying to implement as Orton was 21-12 with the Bears using defense,special teams, running game,

He threw 30 tds, 27 ints, 20 fumbles, and never had a qb rating over 80. He was pretty terrible and they won in spite of him. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OrtoKy00.htm

Orton is always a guy you will be looking to replace. He has never or will never be good enough. Sorry.

Think about THIS decision by Marrone. When he gets hired by the Bills for their head coaching position he went about getting Mike Pettine as his defensive coordinator. A successful, well established and experienced coach in the NFL. Awesome move!

Ok, so the Bills "obviously" had plans to draft a rookie QB and I'm sure this was told to Marrone during the discussions about the job. Why in the world would he hire a rookie offensive coordinator in Nate Hackett if he knew this going into the job???? Wouldn't you think you would need to hire a guy that has proven success in the league? Just like he did with the defense? If you are drafting a QB who will be on the fast track to start, what in the world were Doug and the Bills thinking with regards to hiring a rookie OC who had proved nothing? As for Marrone, by all accounts his position as New Orleans OC was in name only, he was the O line coach there and did not call plays.

Shouldn't this be called franchise malpractice? How fair was it to EJ Manuel to have to be coached by a rookie? Manuel was a project to begin with and Nate Hackett was the guru to guide him through the bumps and bruises? Really?

I have no idea what Manuel will become, but the more I think about the Hackett hire with Marrone and the Bills KNOWING they were selecting a guy they want to become their franchise QB, it boggles the mind how stupid that was. They get Pettine for the defense and then they throw an anchor on EJ Manuel with Nate Hackett and tell him to swim. While EJ and Nate may both be duds, Marrone and the Bills did Manuel a MAJOR disservice in that hire.

This is such a good post.

Teddy Bridgewater gets Norv Turner

Andrew Luck gets Bruce Arians

Colin Kaepernick gets Jim Harbaugh

EJ gets Nate Hackett as both an OC and QB coach.