Let's be objective about QB play this year and Kyle Orton - see li

San-O

He is a veteran QB, who had a couple good games before DCs around the league remembered who he was and how he was being used by Hackett:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

Guess what Bridgewater, Hoyer and Carr all had in common?

24 Teddy Bridgewater, MIN 41.5 5.6 -22.4 3.2 27.8 489 37.6 -1.4 49.0 25 Brian Hoyer, CLE 39.3 -3.7 -16.1 1.9 21.4 538 32.0 -10.9 43.1 26 Derek Carr, OAK 29.2 -0.5 -10.2 0.7 19.2 656 34.7 -17.6 40.9

:doh:

He is a veteran QB, who had a couple good games before DCs around the league remembered who he was and how he was being used by Hackett:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

Guess what Bridgewater, Hoyer and Carr all had in common?

24 Teddy Bridgewater, MIN 41.5 5.6 -22.4 3.2 27.8 489 37.6 -1.4 49.0 25 Brian Hoyer, CLE 39.3 -3.7 -16.1 1.9 21.4 538 32.0 -10.9 43.1 26 Derek Carr, OAK 29.2 -0.5 -10.2 0.7 19.2 656 34.7 -17.6 40.9

:doh:

So does Fitz, I say we go back to him! :w00t:

The veteran experience to pass on to EJ is the only thing Orton has going for him now. I sure hope it helps EJ, and his accuracy improves. Either he takes over next year or not at all. We have a defense that built to win NOW. We need a QB that can produce NOW. Orton is a serviceable backup, mentor to EJ, and nothing more. He absolutely can not start next season. Whaley once said that the ideal backup is one that can win at least 50% of his games.

That's Orton....

EJ was 2-2, Orton should be 6-6 after Sunday even though 7-5 would be nice.

Objectively, Orton is the same guy he's always been: low end starter/high end backup. he's always been somewhere in that 25th-35th best QB and he still is.

EXACTLY. Nothing more needs to be said. And with respect to EJ, the distinction is that he was playing at a might-not-even-be-worthy-of-making-an-NFL-roster level. But I would be willing to do whatever it takes to upgrade over Orton. People say "NOOOOO" or the like about Cutler but that might be the best we can do. Top end starting QB's do not grow on trees. So if we can go from a 25th-35th best QB to a 15th-25th best QB, no one should be complaining.

I guess the question is: what kind of QB are we in the market for next year?

1) A franchise QB (e.g., high 1st round pick)

2) A former top-tier QB/reclamation project (e.g., Cutler, Bradford)

3) A stop-gap vet (e.g., Orton, Derek Anderson, Brian Hoyer)

4) Project/franchise potential (e.g., EJ Manuel, draft pick)

I have to think it is No. 3-- a stop-gap vet-- which is what Orton is. So, they either upgrade Orton, or, if they can't, they stick with him.

Kyle came in and played better than EJ but his last 4 games were worse than EJ's last 4 games

As bad? You could make an argument. Worse? No. It's like a chick you used to hook up with but haven't in a long time and as time goes on, you remember the good stuff so you text her drunk one night, she comes over and the next morning you remember why you stopped hooking up with her. By the Houston game, EJ had lost every last shred of confidence he ever had. All that being said, I would've been curious to see him play on Sunday.

I have to think it is No. 3-- a stop-gap vet-- which is what Orton is. So, they either upgrade Orton, or, if they can't, they stick with him.

I want and think it will be #2. I would be elated if we could land Bradford. He looked really sharp before he got hurt in 2013.

I think Matt Schaub would be an upgrade over Orton and very affordable. He made the pro bowl as recently as 2012. He took his team to the play offs twice. He would actually satisfy both the second and third choices you present. He is far more of a veteran than Orton, Anderson or Hoyer as he has 90 starts under his belt and an 89.8 career passer rating. He has serious flaws but he is the very definition of a hungry veteran and has had a whole year to rest. He could hold the fort down for a year or two while we find a better option.

As bad? You could make an argument. Worse? No. It's like a chick you used to hook up with but haven't in a long time and as time goes on, you remember the good stuff so you text her drunk one night, she comes over and the next morning you remember why you stopped hooking up with her. By the Houston game, EJ had lost every last shred of confidence he ever had. All that being said, I would've been curious to see him play on Sunday.

I want and think it will be #2. I would be elated if we could land Bradford. He looked really sharp before he got hurt in 2013.

He had lost the WRs too.

There was No option after Watt messed his head.

lets hope he has good reason to regain his confidence this Offseason.

Because the Bills might have to hang their hat on this kid. Orton and Hackett have been brutalized by DCs lately.

Raiders were especially telling.

I dont have much hope for next year unless EJ can pull it together and Bills get a real NFL O Line to protect or push at least. Orton has been making bad decisions and regressed too.

These guys have no confidence or trust in each other. Not cool. at all.

That's what I'm hoping against. Orton is no better or worse than any other class 3 guy (Fitz, Hoyer, etc), and I don't want people fooling themselves into thinking it'll be any different, cause it won't.

Obviously there's no class 1 guy available, so they can either try for one of those class 2 guys (hoping he's not really another class 3 guys) and/or draft someone in round 2/3 (hoping to strike gold), or go with EJ (and hope he's improved). No matter how you slice it, there's going to be a lot of hope involved, which makes the odds that QB will be better in 2015 unlikely.

I think Matt Schaub would be an upgrade over Orton and very affordable. He made the pro bowl as recently as 2012. He took his team to the play offs twice. He would actually satisfy both the second and third choices you present. He is far more of a veteran than Orton, Anderson or Hoyer as he has 90 starts under his belt and an 89.8 career passer rating. He has serious flaws but he is the very definition of a hungry veteran and has had a whole year to rest. He could hold the fort down for a year or two while we find a better option.

Thats exactly what the Bills need next year. If they can upgrade the lame duck to serviceable , work hard and hope on EJ , and start to maneuver some draft picks for 2016 in their favor ?

gotta get that O line as a whole entity sorted out this year though.

However it gets done

Edited by 3rdand12

He had lost the WRs too.

There was No option after Watt messed his head.

lets hope he has good reason to regain his confidence this Offseason.

Because the Bills might have to hang their hat on this kid. Orton and Hackett have been brutalized by DCs lately.

Raiders were especially telling.

I dont have much hope for next year unless EJ can pull it together and Bills get a real NFL O Line to protect or push at least. Orton has been making bad decisions and regressed too.

These guys have no confidence or trust in each other. Not cool. at all.

Well the good news is that putting together a competent offensive line is a hell of a lot easier than finding a stable starting QB. The Bills could just as easily have a good offensive line next year without really changing that much- draft a guard, sign a FA, someone develops, they start to gel, etc. I'm not the least bit worried about it. People quickly forget that just a few years ago they had one of the best offensive lines in the league. At the risk of beating a dead horse, it's all about the QB.

Well the good news is that putting together a competent offensive line is a hell of a lot easier than finding a stable starting QB. The Bills could just as easily have a good offensive line next year without really changing that much- draft a guard, sign a FA, someone develops, they start to gel, etc. I'm not the least bit worried about it. People quickly forget that just a few years ago they had one of the best offensive lines in the league. At the risk of beating a dead horse, it's all about the QB.

On this occasion I agree. The Qb allow the Offense to find its way. Might you suggest that the Line will look better with a mobile QB like EJ ?

Such as its original design.

And EJ looked like something to build on after 2013. So what does history really tell you about the future. Why would you want something that looked OK 2 seasons ago. When you degrade someone who is on your team learning? Maybe he is never gonna be. But we do not know. And it would be nice to see him in a system that he can play in. Orton cant Jordan Mathews couldn't Thad Lewis couldn't tuel couldn't the list goes on and on. No one can play in this system... in fact, they all regressed. How about we evaluate him or let him go somewhere he can get a fair shot