Orton to start vs Pats*

TheFunPolice

Barring a major off-field incident or conflict, I don't see any coaching or management changes coming this year - with the possible exception of Hackett, and that's not likely, either. I think Pegula will let another draft play out and give the group one more year to make the playoffs. If they fail, then next season will see a housecleaning from GM on down. Since Whaley got rid of our top pick, and busted on EJ, we aren't a desirable place for a top GM or coaching candidate this year. In a twisted way, Whaley likely saved his and Marrone's job by leaving the cupboard bare both at QB and the 1st round of the 2015 draft.

I hear you... but how different would it be for the Bills to hit the ground running for a change?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It wouldn't be fair to throw EJ in now. I don't know what team will show up but if they mail it in it would not be very confidence inspiring. Plus if somehow EJ managed to light it up Marrone would catch flack for not playing him against the Raiders

It wouldn't be fair to throw EJ in now. I don't know what team will show up but if they mail it in it would not be very confidence inspiring. Plus if somehow EJ managed to light it up Marrone would catch flack for not playing him against the Raiders

Not fair? He has been not playing for quite a while now, presumably healthy, and assuming he has been doing more than sitting around and getting high the past few months learned something. If he hasn't learned quite a bit in the time he has been a benchwarmer then god help the Bills. Maybe Marrone doesn't start Manuel, but when the NE* defensive starters start getting pulled in the 2nd half there is no reason to play Orton other than Manuel is not ready, and will never be ready, to be a NFL starting QB.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Not fair? He has been not playing for quite a while now, presumably healthy, and assuming he has been doing more than sitting around and getting high the past few months learned something. If he hasn't learned quite a bit in the time he has been a benchwarmer then god help the Bills. Maybe Marrone doesn't start Manuel, but when the NE* defensive starters start getting pulled in the 2nd half there is no reason to play Orton other than Manuel is not ready, and will never be ready, to be a NFL starting QB.

Those are the key words right there.

Correct on point one...could you imagine if EJ lit up the first team NE defense?

Point 2...maybe they are hoping he does opt out so throw him to the wolves?

Correct on point one...could you imagine if EJ lit up the first team NE defense?

Point 2...maybe they are hoping he does opt out so throw him to the wolves?

Belichick playing a soft defense allowing EJ to throw for 350 yds.--this to confuse the Bills management into playing him next year.

Would rather the Bills win, but not caring if they lose. My DNA doesn't tolerate tanking, but I view this as nothing more than the first 2015 preseason game. Player evaluation >> than winning the game.

with the exception of EJ, i'm for ALL backups playing including tuel. 2015 starts now.

Again, someone give me a benefit of playing EJM, aside from satisfying fan's curiosity?

If he has made any kind of significant improvement during his time on the bench, don't worry, he will have a chance to demonstrate it at the next training camp, pre-season, and the regular season. The circumstances are very unfavorable for bringing in a young guy that hasn't played in 12 weeks...

"Here EJ, now's your chance. Lead the ragged offense of a team that is running for the bus, against the best team in the league, in a stadium where this team never wins, and their team beats everyone! A great opportunity to increase the animosity that will be directed at you in the off-season!

The new owner, this coaching staff, and the whole of WNY, are all waiting to give you a fair, even-handed evaluation! Go get 'em kid!"

Again, someone give me a benefit of playing EJM, aside from satisfying fan's curiosity?

If he has made any kind of significant improvement during his time on the bench, don't worry, he will have a chance to demonstrate it at the next training camp, pre-season, and the regular season. The circumstances are very unfavorable for bringing in a young guy that hasn't played in 12 weeks...

"Here EJ, now's your chance. Lead the ragged offense of a team that is running for the bus, against the best team in the league, in a stadium where this team never wins, and their team beats everyone! A great opportunity to increase the animosity that will be directed at you in the off-season!

The new owner, this coaching staff, and the whole of WNY, are all waiting to give you a fair, even-handed evaluation! Go get 'em kid!"

I am not looking at it from a evaluation perspective, because of course that would be ludicrous as you explained. I am looking at it as giving a young player in his 2nd year, who in theory has been in the classroom full time for the past 12 weeks, a little practical on-field time to apply some of what he has learned in the past 3 months. That's the benefit that I see. Given the fact that the Bills will not advance to the post season regardless of the outcome Sunday, what is the benefit of playing Orton to the future of the Bills organization?

Edited by CodeMonkey

I am not looking at it from a evaluation perspective, because of course that would be ludicrous as you explained. I am looking at it as giving a young player in his 2nd year, who in theory has been in the classroom full time for the past 12 weeks, a little practical on-field time to apply some of what he has learned in the past 3 months. That's the benefit that I see. Given the fact that the Bills will not advance to the post season regardless of the outcome Sunday, what is the benefit of playing Orton to the future of the Bills organization?

There is no benefit to playing Orton, it's just a lot more likely that more bad things than good will come of it for EJM. These are very unfavorable circumstances for EJM to be applying anything he may have learned. I already listed some of them....

YOU may not be looking to evaluate EJM, but believe me, if he has a poor game it will be thrown at him and the Bills Organization by the fans throughout the off-season. "He still sucks, and we were told he is a work in progress", "the players don't respect him or they would have played harder", on and on....blahblahblah.

It turns into "EJ's Game"...his chance to show us where he is now. But the team is bottomed out, fresh off a deflating loss. Shutting off the Christmas tree lights, and heading out for the annual "Foxboro A88kicking" at the hands of the Patriots. I would consider sending EJM out for this game, a serious mishandling of your developing QB (and no, it's not treating him with kid gloves). It would be stupid.

I would also say that it would negatively affect the players off-season attitude to see EJM have a poor game. At least now they might think EJM might come back next season improved.

Again, if any progress has been made, he will have plenty of opportunity to display it NEXT year.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Right. Why even bother trying to win the game?

With all due respect, I see this attitude (all too prevalent) as gutless.

Because it doesnt mean anything.

Oh................... you mean Pride. Pride is overrated. I'll take some lucky wins over losing with pride.

Here's what I wish for:

Bills win 40-0

Or Pats win 40-0

Bills kill like that, I'll be happy.

Bills lose like that, I'll erase the game. Lol.

Please dont question my 24 years as a fan. I hate that.

Because it doesnt mean anything.

Oh................... you mean Pride. Pride is overrated. I'll take some lucky wins over losing with pride.

Here's what I wish for:

Bills win 40-0

Or Pats win 40-0

Bills kill like that, I'll be happy.

Bills lose like that, I'll erase the game. Lol.

Please dont question my 24 years as a fan. I hate that.

If you've been a fan for that long, you should consider trying to remember what it was like, and what it means to have a winning culture.

If you've been a fan for that long, you should consider trying to remember what it was like, and what it means to have a winning culture.

You want me to consider about the good ol days....

For what? What good does that do me now?

Let me see my choices. Go to the movies. Have sex. Go to disneyland. To the zoo. To Universal Studios.

Or

Sit back and relax. Grab a fine tea bag and rock the old rocking chair back and forth for hours until my mind finds itself back in time 20 years ago when I didnt have pubes money and hypnotize my brain to think about what it was like 20 years ago, when we had a winning culture. NOT!

If you're the front office, if you're the Bills organization you want to at least know something. You want to at least have an idea what you have with Manuel before you go in to the draft and free agency.

The season may be over to some and it might not be fair to throw it away by starting Manuel, but it is for the better to at least check the tires. I truly hope Manuel enters the game in the second half.

I think EJ is putrid, yet I would still start him vs NE. Why not? In the unlikely event he shows something when better to see that than in a game when there is no risk of him sucking. Obviously Orton is done in Buffalo, so what harm could it do to see if the kid learned anything during his bench time.

this is CLASSIC WGR material...game doesnt matter who cares.....unless they lose - then all they will talk about is how far away the Bills are from the Pats. Hopefully most of you can think for yourself beating New England would be a good win anytime anyplace.

its pretty simple guys best players play -

this! Jeremy or Howard or whoever the hell it was that was on with Sal Monday was whining on an on that he didn't care if the Bills won or lost, not a single thing could be taken from this game either way. He thought Belichick might let the Bills look great just to screw with them into thinking their QB was good enough so they don't try to get better there before next year. I can think for myself and it does mean something to me. I'm looking toward next year now. A winning record is better than a non-winning record, period. Edited by YoloinOhio