Pope Francis ain't messing around

Pope Francis, who never worked in the Curia prior to his ascension, ripped the Holy See a new one. Francis gave a list of "15 ailments of the Curia", in front of the Curia, which is pretty much the definition of no-!@#$s-given.

I know I shouldn't be shocked considering how aggressively Francis has been going about his business, but I was shocked regardless. Has a pope ever done this, or dared to do this, so openly before? I'm a fan of the guy, how could I not be? He said he'd baptize (zombie) ETs if they visited for Pete's sake, I was always goin to be a fan. But this still intrigued me.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/12/22/372459862/pope-francis-at-christmas-gathering-blasts-vaticans-bureaucrats

Here's the list of ailments (translated because I failed Latin):

http://townhall.com/news/world/2014/12/22/a-list-of-pope-francis-15-ailments-of-the-curia-n1934613

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a non religious person I see Pope Francis as a shining example of what organized religion can do.

He is much more of what I think a religious leader should be. I can't help thinking that certain people who elected him Pope are starting to regret it.

I'm not sure what the Curia is, but it sounds like the name for a nail salon. I didn't know the Vatican had one of those. I'm not sure why the Pope is picking on the oriental ladies in there because pretty much all of the 15 things on his list can be attributed to just about anyone. And on the rare occasions when people get these things right, they can often slip into an arrogance that puts them back on the wrong side of this trail. I think his message is spot on but feel bad for the nail salon ladies.

My favorite one:

It's dangerous to lose that human sensibility that lets you cry with those who are crying, and celebrate those who are joyful."

My least favorite was the one about gossip. Not because it isn't correct, but because it emphasizes a stereotype about nail salons which is true, but not limited to nail salons. Gossip goes on everywhere.

Throughout most of the 15 messages you can see, if you look, a calling for all of us, or at least the nail salon ladies for now, to have a direct relationship with the big man and not to rely on others for it or presuppose that others rely on us for theirs. That's pretty cool for a dude who could easily claim some sort of license as a conduit.

francis is lipstick and catholicism a pig? thank God for "ignore".

Yep.

Don't like it, don't much care. For decades the Catholic Church has covered up the abuse of potentially thousands of children. And that's just the beginning of the list of its MANY failures. It is, at its heart, a corrupt and decadent organization about as far removed from what Jesus was purported to be as possible. But then again, it's like many other religions in that regard. About the only thing it's got going for it is it isn't Islam.

That's it.

Edited by joesixpack

Yep.

Don't like it, don't much care. For decades the Catholic Church has covered up the abuse of potentially thousands of children. And that's just the beginning of the list of its MANY failures. It is, at its heart, a corrupt and decadent organization about as far removed from what Jesus was purported to be as possible. But then again, it's like many other religions in that regard. About the only thing it's got going for it is it isn't Islam.

That's it.

Way to go full douche on this one.

As with most of Pope Francis' writings, the media only sees what t wants

If Pope Francis is a "radical" environmentalist, what was Pope Benedict XVI ?

December 29, 2014 06:04 EST

Carl E. Olson

I ask the question because I made the mistake of reading an article, "Pope Francis’s edict on climate change will anger deniers and US churches," written by John Vidal for The Guardian (Dec. 27th), and now feel obligated to clear the air a bit from all of the pollutants released by the ill-informed, sensationalistic bit of punditry. The overarching problem is that Vidal, like so many others in the media, wish to use the pontiff as a political tool with which to bludgeon those he deems ill fit to lead or be taken seriously in the public arena. So, for example, Vidal writes,

{snip}

Of course, Benedict is usually presented as being "right-wing" and "reactionary" and "traditional," and so his statements about ecology and the environment are often ignored, especially when they indicate that Francis' remarks and positions on those topics is not nearly as "radical" and unique as is often claimed. I suspect that Vidal has not read the expected encyclical by Francis, so his piece, on one hand, is simply a way of stirring up the waters—or, rather, polluting the waters.

Questioning the nature, extent, and exact status of "climate change" is not, it should be noted, anything at all like supporting the killing of the unborn and the aged, actions that more than a few American, "Catholic" politicians support—and with religious zeal (a zeal they fail to display for their claimed religion). Benedict's warning that "the deterioration of nature is in fact closely connected to the culture that shapes human coexistence" should be taken far more seriously; I suspect that Francis will repeat it—and I am confident it will be largely ignored.

In the meantime, I suggest folks read the newly posted CWR feature, "Catholicism and Environmentalism", by Thomas M. Doran, which provides food for thought that is free of ideological posturing and sensationalist "reporting".

http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Blog/3601/if_pope_francis_is_a_radical_environmentalist_what_was_pope_benedict_xvi.aspx

Really? I'm amazed the Catholic Church has any defenders anymore.

When you paint a few million people into one stereotype, you can even get me to defend the Catholic Church.

And the point of this thread is that Francis is someone working towards a better church, which is to commended. He may not be perfect but he's a helluva lot more in touch than his predecessors.