Not a Bad Season

gjv001

2001 was a bad season. 1984 was a bad season. 1985 was a bad season. 1971 was a REALLY bad season.

This season was just mediocre.

And what's more...the Bills' all-time winning percentage is 46% - call it 7-9. So even if the Bills lose to the Pats and go 8-8, this season is better than average.

Edited by DC Tom

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that this season can be considered radically better than the previous five is depressing. The bar is set so low. That said, 8-8 is NOT a good season. This team is full of major flaws. The owners need to realize this and address it. To look at this and say that this year is acceptable and just proceed with the status quo would be a big mistake.

Considering 10-6 but no playoffs was being called a failure by people, what's the difference?

You also must not watch many other games because no team in the NFL but for the Pats is without flaws. If you are waiting for a perfect season to be satisfied you have a long wait.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

While I wouldn't exactly call it a bad year, I wouldn't call it a good one, either. The team is likely headed to an 8-8 finish, which is exactly one game better than Dick Jauron's Bills finished three years in a row. That really doesn't impress me a whole lot.

If there's a bright side, at least they're good at something for a change. They can play defense. Unfortunately, the offense is headed for a bottom third finish for the 11th time in 12 years.

While I wouldn't exactly call it a bad year, I wouldn't call it a good one, either. The team is likely headed to an 8-8 finish, which is exactly one game better than Dick Jauron's Bills finished three years in a row. That really doesn't impress me a whole lot.

If there's a bright side, at least they're good at something for a change. They can play defense. Unfortunately, the offense is headed for a bottom third finish for the 11th time in 12 years.

Ignoring the W/L record for a second, which will be 2-3 games and better than the last few years. Looking under the hood at some stats: the offense had very similar stats to last year, the defense did as well-but was better at preventing points. The special teams were significantly better, when you look at the, avg Drive start for and against, they flipped it from last year. The team was better than recent years. That doesn't make it a great season though. We continue to seriously lack on the offensive side of the ball if we want to be a strong playoff contender.

I am with you OP. But be prepared, the hostiles want blood. You my be strung up for having anything positive to say. Good Luck.

Only if one presents his point like a jackass.

That said, the OP did NOT present his points like a jackass.

I'm extremely disappointed in this season because - as CB stated - a SB defense was wasted.

The defense and special teams were great this season. That's a good thing. This team truly was a QB away from not only playoffs, but winning playoff games, in my opinion.

So yes ... there were some good takeaways. However, I wonder how long this D will be dominant. Just because the almighty Kiko will be healthy next year, that might not be enough. Schwartz coming back in the same capacity is important, as is locking players in for a few years.

Most years, this exact team is a playoff team; even with Orton and/or EJ.

I am not sold on Marrone as a HC. I think the team lacked discipline, focus and execution. I blame Marrone FAR more than I blame Hackett.

If Whaley can get a FA who is better than Orton to come in here and compete with EJ, then I'll feel pretty good about next year. But that's a long ways away.

Go Bills!

Our offense looked as bad as it ever has. We are probably finishing 8-8. It is certainly not a good season.

Peoples standards have become so low that we now celebrate 8-8, embarrassing.

Are you still angry? Surely, you can see some good that came out of the season. Cheer up, pumpkin.

A couple of points.

First, the Bengals won last night which I think would have eliminated the Bills already even if they beat Oakland. That's no excuse for losing to Oakland, but the Raiders are turning it around at the end of the season like a lot of crummy Bills teams used to do. Anyway it was the Houston and KC games, not the Oakland game, that sunk the Bills this year. Those two losses were inexcusable.

Second, maybe it's rose colored glasses, but I see a much better team this year than last year, particularly D and ST. The offense has good to great skill positions except QB, and a bad line. The guards are lousy -- did you see Urbik completely fail on getting out to block for a screen on Sunday? -- and the tackles and center are only average. It will take a big investment to get the O line up to average.

Third, Orton played like a wuss the last month. One play on Sunday, he ran backwards at least 10 yards because the pocket had collapsed. Only when he noticed that no one was chasing him did he turn around and make a play. He missed way too many open short routes, the kind that keep drives going and the D off the field. JUST LIKE EJ. Except EJ plays with a lot more heart and athletic ability. It might be that Marrone switched from EJ to Orton after the Houston game to keep from losing the locker room, but my opinion is the players see the bad QB play and know they're not going anywhere, and start tanking. Watch out, Marrone, if you don't fix this you'll have a disaster on your hands.

Finally, I think Hughes, Searcy, Easley, Wynn, and maybe Hairston come back. CJ comes back only if the Bills hire Chan Gailey as offensive coordinator. He's the only one who ever figured out how to let Spiller get loose on a regular basis.

A couple of points.

First, the Bengals won last night which I think would have eliminated the Bills already even if they beat Oakland. That's no excuse for losing to Oakland, but the Raiders are turning it around at the end of the season like a lot of crummy Bills teams used to do. Anyway it was the Houston and KC games, not the Oakland game, that sunk the Bills this year. Those two losses were inexcusable.

Second, maybe it's rose colored glasses, but I see a much better team this year than last year, particularly D and ST. The offense has good to great skill positions except QB, and a bad line. The guards are lousy -- did you see Urbik completely fail on getting out to block for a screen on Sunday? -- and the tackles and center are only average. It will take a big investment to get the O line up to average.

Third, Orton played like a wuss the last month. One play on Sunday, he ran backwards at least 10 yards because the pocket had collapsed. Only when he noticed that no one was chasing him did he turn around and make a play. He missed way too many open short routes, the kind that keep drives going and the D off the field. JUST LIKE EJ. Except EJ plays with a lot more heart and athletic ability. It might be that Marrone switched from EJ to Orton after the Houston game to keep from losing the locker room, but my opinion is the players see the bad QB play and know they're not going anywhere, and start tanking. Watch out, Marrone, if you don't fix this you'll have a disaster on your hands.

Finally, I think Hughes, Searcy, Easley, Wynn, and maybe Hairston come back. CJ comes back only if the Bills hire Chan Gailey as offensive coordinator. He's the only one who ever figured out how to let Spiller get loose on a regular basis.

I could be wrong, but I think the Bills would still have technically been alive because Baltimore lost. If Baltimore lost again this week and KC beat SD, we could still have made the playoffs by beating the Raiders and New England.