Not a Bad Season

gjv001

you have low expectations if you don't think it was a bad season. coaches get fired for seasons like what we just had. it's time that we demand more from our team

To what end?

Anyone who can't see this team is RADICALLY better than it has been in any of the past 5 seasons is being willfully obtuse, or is visually impaired.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A likely 8-8 season is viewed as not bad by some? Just shows what 15 years of crap football produces. Really though they are staring at the big TWO O next season twenty frigging years since the team WON a playoff game. Sorry, for some it's hard to be giddy when they just lost too a horrible team. Never thought Marrone could coach a bigger clunker than the Bucs last season. I was wrong.

I guess I am just a bad fan for not being excited about hitting.500 for what the first time in ten years? Now that is progress.

A special shout out to Rex Ryan for all the help reaching this milestone.

To what end?

Anyone who can't see this team is RADICALLY better than it has been in any of the past 5 seasons is being willfully obtuse, or is visually impaired.

The fact that this season can be considered radically better than the previous five is depressing. The bar is set so low. That said, 8-8 is NOT a good season. This team is full of major flaws. The owners need to realize this and address it. To look at this and say that this year is acceptable and just proceed with the status quo would be a big mistake.

The fact that this season can be considered radically better than the previous five is depressing. The bar is set so low. That said, 8-8 is NOT a good season. This team is full of major flaws. The owners need to realize this and address it. To look at this and say that this year is acceptable and just proceed with the status quo would be a big mistake.

It is what it is man. This team was rock bottom. Now it's average.

That's a step forward. Can't go rock-bottom to Pinnacle overnight, unless you're REALLY lucky.

Ralph left this team in the crapper. Gonna take a LONG time to fix it.

To what end?

Oh really? Going from 6-10 to a likely 8-8 is RADICALLY better? A HUGE 2 game improvement, where 3 of the wins (Detroit, Minn and Chicago) were a play away from losses and only one win, against GB was all that impressive? Yes, the defense was much improved over last year, but the offense, even with the addition of Watkins, regressed almost as much. It is at best a moderately better team.

Let's assume you are correct however, shouldn't a RADICALLY better team have a much better record than 8-8? Doesn't that mean that the coaching staff took a RADICALLY better team and led them nowhere, so perhaps it was the type of season that gets coaches fired. Mediocre records out of above average teams cause firings all the time.

Oh really? Going from 6-10 to a likely 8-8 is RADICALLY better? A HUGE 2 game improvement, where 3 of the wins (Detroit, Minn and Chicago) were a play away from losses and only one win, against GB was all that impressive? Yes, the defense was much improved over last year, but the offense, even with the addition of Watkins, regressed almost as much. It is at best a moderately better team.

Let's assume you are correct however, shouldn't a RADICALLY better team have a much better record than 8-8? Doesn't that mean that the coaching staff took a RADICALLY better team and led them nowhere, so perhaps it was the type of season that gets coaches fired. Mediocre records out of above average teams cause firings all the time.

What's up with the moral losses? Who cares if they were a play or two away?

6 -> 8 is a 33% improvement.

And if we're using your logic, we should have beat both Houston and KC as well. So I'm not buying that line of thought.

But by all means, continue with the illogic. It is, at the very least, entertaining.

What's up with the moral losses? Who cares if they were a play or two away?

It only goes to the question of how good the team may or may not be. There were games the Bills should have won (KC, Houston and Miami come to mind) and games they should have lost (the three I mentioned). The fact is the Bills are probably exactly what their record suggests they are, a .500 team. And I don't think a .500 team is radically better than what the Bills have been the last 5 yrs.

It only goes to the question of how good the team may or may not be. There were games the Bills should have won (KC, Houston and Miami come to mind) and games they should have lost (the three I mentioned). The fact is the Bills are probably exactly what their record suggests they are, a .500 team. And I don't think a .500 team is radically better than what the Bills have been the last 5 yrs.

But it's the best record in 10 years. What that tells me is that the Bills have been bad for a long time. Improving for the first time from the basement is an improvement, especially when we've experienced such a bad streak. Pulling out of the muck bucks the ten year trend. That's pretty radical.

When's the last time the Bills were .500?

Since you're likely too lazy to look it up, I took the liberty of doing it for you.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/

10 years since we were last .500

The question is: Are they trending upward? in other words, is this sustainable? And that is where the strength of victory comes into the discussion, I think. We had many close games and had to have a lot of things fall in our favor to win. Even the GB game which was great. But we still needed a PR touchdown and a safety to win. These things are fluky. It is very conceivable that next year, these breaks will not fall our way and we will go back to 6-10 or worse. That's where a good, top to bottom review of the organization is required. They need to identify the good (defense) and make sure that stays solid. And they need to identify the bad (HC, OC, OL, QB play, Run game, penalties, etc) and find ways to fix those so that whatever progress has been made can be maintained and built upon. Simply saying this has been a good year and not looking objectively at it and improving will result in disappointment again next year and beyond.

Edited by Maddog69

The question is: Are they trending upward? in other words, is this sustainable? And that is where the strength of victory comes into the discussion, I think. We had many close games and had to have a lot of things fall in our favor to win. Even the GB game which was great. But we still needed a PR touchdown and a safety to win. These things are fluky. It is very conceivable that next year, these breaks will not fall our way and we will go back to 6-10 or worse. That's where a good, top to bottom review of the organization is required. They need to identify the good (defense) and make sure that stays solid. And they need to identify the bad (HC, OC, OL, QB play, Run game, penalties, etc) and find ways to fix those so that whatever progress has been made can be maintained and built upon. Simply saying this has been a good year and not looking objectively at it and improving will result in disappointment again next year and beyond.

...You think...

When's the last time the Bills were .500?

Since you're likely too lazy to look it up, I took the liberty of doing it for you.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/

10 years since we were last .500

my thought is, who cares?

.500 sucks.

Its better than 3-13 but it still sucks. We should not be satisfied with that.

Gee, thanks for the info. I certainly didn't realize it had been that long since the Bills had reached .500. My goodness, what an accomplishment this season has been. Gosh, can't wait for the parade down Main Street. Do you think they will close the schools and businesses so everyone can attend? It would be a shame for people to miss out on the celebration. .500!!! Be still my heart.

my thought is, who cares?

.500 sucks.

Its better than 3-13 but it still sucks. We should not be satisfied with that.

So, what did you WANT to happen? The clouds to part, and baby Jesus himself to come down and give us a 12-4 season?

Your expectations are out of line with reality and that leads to nothing but disappointment.

the beginning of every season for the last 15 it's been the same mind set "hope for a winning season", this year it was the same, but it's first time I said out loud that I would have happy "if Bills played completive football" not knowing what the season was gong to bring just like a box of chocolates, figured that 8-8 would show improvement, it has, only real concern I have is leadership both on and off the field

If the Bills get this matter addressed, the future can't be any thing but brighter