We need a coach who can win without a superstar QB, and I have one in

peterpan

First we need to lay out some obvious assumptions/statements. (sorry this gets long)

1 – The key to consistently winning in the NFL is having a good QB. Obviously. This does not need explanation or defending, it is a certifiable fact.

2- There are not enough good QBs in the NFL to go around. Period. That is how guys like Kyle Orton and Ryan Fitzpatrick keep resurfacing as starting QBs for multiple teams

3- Every team is basically hoping and praying they can luck into a Pro Style Pocket passer Ala Andy Luck. What kidn of hope does this give for teams like the Bills? None!

4- Every team wants an Andy Luck style guy because every NFL coach runs a Pro-Style offense, or is a Pro-Style Offense type of coach (short of Chip Kelly).

This leads to one obvious conclusion: A team needs a Coach who can get quality QB play out of the sub-par QB talent; With the type of QBs which are entering the league (via the draft) AND ACTUALLY AVAILABLE.

Which types of QBs are entering the league? Spread QBs. Running QBs. Which aren’t? The polished pocket passers which every NFL teams WISHES they could have.

For too long the Bills (and the rest of the NFL) has tried to fit a bunch of square pegs into round holes. They take an inaccurate, running QB like Losman and try to make him a pocket guy like Manning. They take an athletic guy like RG3 and tell him to stand in the pocket. Jay Cutler is asked to stand in the pocket when he should be on the move, with mis-direction, and having the game simplified for him. Expecting Losman, RG#, or Cutler or even Tebow to run the same offense that Manning or Brady would run is insanity! Those players all have different strengths. Why try to get them to run the same plays?? THIS METHOD DOES NOT PUT THESE PLAYERS IN THE BEST POSITION TO SUCCEED. What ever happened to designing an offense to best use the talents on your roster?????? Instead, we have stubborn coaches running the pro-style offense with a bunch of QBs incapable of running a pro-style offense!!!!

Not so surprisingly, the ONLY coach in the NFL, who is getting above average QB production out of below average QB talent is Chip Kelly. Chip Kelly is also the ONLY coach in the NFL who is born and bred in the Spread offense. He Does not run a Pro-style offense. He is not a Pro-Style coach trying to run a Spread offense for the first time. No, he WROTE THE BOOK which other coaches are reading.

So where am I going with this? We need our own Chip Kelly. We need a guy who DOESN’T run a pro System and DOESN’T WANT TO EITHER! We need a coach who gre up running the spread. Who has consistently won without a pocket passer QB. A coach whose offense is not reliant on a superstar, pocket passer QB because the QB does not exist.

That is why I would love to see URBAN MEYER brought in as the next HC of the Buffalo Bills. He has won everywhere – everywhere – he has been. And he has won RIGHT AWAY. And he could win, in the NFL, without a polished pocket passer under center. Guys who are available to be had!

Urban Myers coaching record is an astounding 140-26 with a 7-2 bowl record. This is across 4 different D 1 schools and over a decade of excellence.

Bowling Green - he engineered one of the greatest turnarounds in the College football HISTRY, going 8–3, and 17-6 in his first two year, before going to Utah, where you guessed it, In his first year there, Meyer was named the Mountain West Conference's Coach of the Year with a 10–2 record. He coached Utah ( UTAH!!!) top a 12-0 perfect season and developed Alex Smith into the #1 overall pick!

Then he takes over at Florida. First Season(2005), 9-3, second season(2006) 13-1 and NATIONAL CHAMPIONS. Two years later, 13-1 again and NATIONAL CHAMPS AGAIN, with a different QB who happened to win the Heisman. Eleven of the Gators' twelve wins that season were by 20 points or more(!!!!!!!!), including wins over six (SIX!!!) ranked teams. The next season, 2009, they again went 13-1 and just barely missed out on the NC.

He then leaves Florida for Health Reasons, and we pick up later in 2012, at Ohio State, where in his FIRST SEASON promptly goes 12-0 and finishes third in the country. Ohio State, suffering from Recruiting violations by the prior coaching staff, is ineligible for both the Big 10 Champion ship game and a Bowl game. 2013 – goes 12 and 2 and has Braxton Miller as a Heisman Finalist. 2014 he loses Miller to injuury, and his second string QB is a Heisman Candidate. That QB gets injured and they go into the Big 10 Championship game with their third string QB and WIN FIFTY NINE TO ZERO.!!!!!! They are currently sitting pretty at 12-1 and may very well win the NC this year.

AGAIN, Urban Myers coaching record is an astounding 140-26 with a 7-2 bowl record. This is across 4 different D 1 schools and over a decade.

The reason I most like Urban Meyer for coach of the Buffalo Bills is, he is a guy, who can win football games, with other teams cast off QBs. Cutler, RG3, heck even Tebow, could and WOULD win in Urban Meyers system. And with our Defense, we would EASILY have made the playoffs with him coaching this team. I don’t want a coach who needs an Aaron Rodgers to win. I don’t want a coach who needs Manning to win. I want a coach who can win with anyone. I want a guy who can fight for the playoffs with Mark Sanchese at the helm. THAT’S the coach we need. And that guy is Urban Meyer!!!!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hey Urban, you're having great success with one of the most prestigious schools in college football history, what are you gonna do next?" "I'm gonna go coach the Buffalo Bills as a logical career step!"

:lol: :lol:

I think Urban loves the recruiting game too much to ever leave college. He also won't leave OSU until he wins a national title there. Could be a few yrs as all of his recruits are freshmen and sophomores right now. OSU is his dream job. I know the Browns contacted him last year and he had his chances while he was at Florida. He's just pure college.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I get that he has a great gig, but he has dominated college football for over a decade and eventually a competitor will want to try his luck in the NfL. Maybe 8 mil a season could encourage him???

Here is to wishful thinking.

i get the sentiment. But he really has to prove he can win at OSU. He's probably a year ahead of schedule (his words), and just lost his OC to a HC job. Big challenges await.

3- Every team is basically hoping and praying they can luck into purposely tank the season as well as the Colts did in order to take the best player of the decade with the first pick of the draft in turn obtaining a Pro Style Pocket passer Ala Andy Luck. What kidn of hope does this give for teams like the Bills? None.

Fixed that sentence for you.

jim_irsay_colts_owner.jpg

Edited by BILLS_ROC

Ha!

I grew to dislike Meyer while he was at Florida but only because i am a UGA fan.

I respect Meyer for the coach he is. I just do not see what he does well translating to the pro game.

as an OSU fan I hated him for 41-14 in the NC game when he was at FL, which kicked off the decade of SEC dominance. But now I love him of course... Assuming he can win one for us soon!