If Hackett goes and is replaced by Sean Payton, would that be enough?

LA Grant

Payton may be on his way out in New Orleans and since he has a good relationship with Marrone, who will probably get another year but need to make changes offensively, would that be enough to have hope for a better-coached offense in 2015?

Obviously we need a better QB. If a good one becomes available, let me know. But with the players we DO have, we should have had WAY more and way more CONSISTENT production out of them, and that's coaching and playcalling. That's targeting Sammy, dump-offs and screens to CJ instead of running him up the middle "til he pukes", and using more misdirection in the run game than "up the middle."

Payton was a QB and has had success. He could be the Mike Pettine/Jim Schwartz for the offense.

The thread title needs to be amended- "If Marrone goes and is replaced by Sean Payton, would that be enough?" That's better.

Exactly, why the hell would Peyton take a OC job in Buffalo when he's a better HC than the current HC? Peyton is never going to be an OC again, he's done enough to earn a permanent spot at the HC table.

Sam Wyche was never a Super Bowl winner and he worked for Mularkey after being out of the league for quite a while. Sean Payton will never take a job lower than Head Coach in the NFL again. He is a Super Bowl winner and regarded by most of the NFL as one of the best offensive minds. No chance in hell he comes to Buffalo to be Marrone's offensive coordinator.

The only wild scenario that I could postulate is that Peyton may have to pay his dues for a year or two before getting his next HC job, kind of like what might be the situation with Schwartz. He could conceivably come to Buffalo if he thinks the pieces are in place to make a run deep into the playoffs, thus building on his already impressive resume. I doubt this will happen, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Let me reaffirm this one more time. There is 0% chance that Sean Payton comes to Buffalo to be an offensive coordinator behind Marrone. There is 0% chance that Payton goes anywhere to be anything other than a Head Coach or something higher. It is not happening, there is no chance. Just forget about it right now. We should lock this thread right now because the notion is so ridiculous. Aaron Rodgers will demand a trade to Buffalo before this happens.