Chargers at 49ers Game Thread - 8:25 EST on NFLN and CBS

26CornerBlitz

Honestly, I really didn't think the Bills would make the playoffs before this game, so I am not crushed. And if the odd event the Bills make the playoffs this year, I don't expect them to go far. So yes, I'd prefer they make the playoffs, but if they win out, I will be plenty happy. The playoffs were mostly meaningless this year.

The playoffs are never meaningless. You get in and anything could happen. Remember that 9-7 Giants team that looked like trash until the final weeks of the season a few years ago?

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A kick to the balls, but not fatal (yet at least). Our likeliest playoff scenario always involved two PIT wins (beating KC and CIN) and DEN over CIN. Now we need KC to win at home next week vs SD also. Other possibilities would open up for us if the Texans can upset the Ravens tomorrow.

Conversely, if the Chiefs and Ravens both win at 1:00 Sunday we'd be eliminated before our kickoff I believe.

A kick to the balls, but not fatal (yet at least). Our likeliest playoff scenario always involved two PIT wins (beating KC and CIN) and DEN over CIN. Now we need KC to win at home next week vs SD also. Other possibilities would open up for us if the Texans can upset the Ravens tomorrow.

Conversely, if the Chiefs and Ravens both win at 1:00 Sunday we'd be eliminated before our kickoff I believe.

Not quite, but almost. Chiefs and Chargers could still tie.

Good call - this actually makes me feel somewhat better. The only thing that has changed is a mandatory KC hime victory week 17 (given what we already needed to happen would). If Ravens lost out that would be help but very unlikely given their schedule.

Bengals scare me Monday night

It sucks and we could have used SD losing. For sure. But it seems to me the only reasonable scenario we had is Pitt beating KC tomorrow. And SD beating KC in KC next week with all their injuries and KC needing the game is a tough, tough chore.

If KC loses to Pitt, they are likely eliminated I believe. They would be playing spoiler. I never thought KC was that good this year, but at home against a rival they would be tough to beat. Neutral field I probably take SD lost of the time

Not quite, but almost. Chiefs and Chargers could still tie.

Good point, hadn't thought of a tie between them, so we wouldn't be mathmatically eliminated but we'd be practically eliminated. We need the Chiefs to lose this week for any realistic chance to stay alive, a Texans win would be huge but isn't necessary.

This game just had a feel to it, and not a fatalistic "here we go" feeling

When the Chargers were down 14 it was like they had the lead. 49ers quit halfway through the 3rd.

I didn't see the game. Could that happen to the greatest coach in the league that everyone wants?

Yeah, the guy has had success, but he wears on me.... quickly. And I've never met the man! My favorite fun fact about him is he broke his hand on Jimbo's head.

Acutally if all "Home" teams win for the next 2 weeks with the exception of Buffalo (needs to win) and Denver (needs to win in Cincy) then we are in.

Source: ESPN Playoff Machine.

Right, also if you say the team with the better power ranking wins every game, we get the help we need, if you change the Pats-Bills game to a W we're in. The SD loss just took away our realistic margin for error so the most realistic scenario before is pretty close to the only realistic scenario now.

One more week 17 game that has to go our way essentially. My heart can't take all the ups and downs of football

Even if we win out, it's hard for me to call 10-6 a success without playoffs. Maybe I'll feel differently if it gets here, but damn I wanna extend this season

Even if we win out, it's hard for me to call 10-6 a success without playoffs. Maybe I'll feel differently if it gets here, but damn I wanna extend this season

!0-6, after a lifetime of 6-10 is enough improvement to constitute success in the mind of most rational people. Sure, we want playoffs, but it makes us a serious contender. Will we get there, I doubt it. Improvement is improvement, that's hard to deny. Is it enough? That's hard to say.

Edited by Augie

!0-6, after a lifetime of 6-10 is enough improvement to constitute success in the mind of most rational people. Sure, we want playoffs, but it makes us a serious contender. Will we get there, I doubt it. Improvement is improvement, that's hard to deny. Is it enough? That's hard to say.

No denying its improvement, but are we satisfied? We have a small window with this defense and this season could go down as a huge lost opportunity.