"Cr*p rolls downhill..."

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. They're still really good though. GB is up there too imo.

I'm not a big believer in GB's OL. I believe they are made to look much better than they are by Rodgers' ability to scramble and make plays from both inside and outside the pocket.

As to Denver, they had to reshuffle the right side of their OL because they couldn't get their rushing attack going.

For me, the great OLs in the game come down to Dallas and Baltimore. I'd say NE as well, but they are very inconsistent from week to week.

While it's true that when an offense works well, the playmakers get the lion's share of the credit.

But the corollary is not true that when an offense struggles, the OL gets all the blame. Usually the QB get's the greatest share of the criticism. The OC will get his share, too.

Our OL is getting blamed because they deserve it. But EJ, Orton, Freddy, CJ, Hackett and the WRs have all been getting blamed this year too. Personally, I don't see the OL receiving an unfair share.

And the way the OL should respond to the blame is by opening holes for our backs and keeping defenders off our QB.

Probably Dallas, yes.

Not sure about the correlation between dominant OL and overall success. For my money, last year's Bengals had the best OL I can remember watching in the last 10 years (Collins-Whitworth-Cook-Boling-Smith); still equated to a first-round exit at the hands of an 8-8 team.

Not saying you're expressly wrong for the record.

So much of that is Peyton Manning. He gets rid of the ball so quickly it's nearly impossible to get near the guy.

That's also not a bad idea; my preference has always been to keep Wood at C, because I feel it's his best position. You're right though--best five is a sound philosophy.

He is best at C. I've brought it up numerous times though. If he is good, as in above average and better then 1 or two of our OG's and we have an backup OC who can contribute sufficiently without bringing the OL down then do it.

!I am I did it with Pouncey and we have the opportunity to get the number 1 or 2 best OC in the third. OC's never draft high for whatever reason.

Something tells me that the Bills will be entering September of 2015 with a last minute shake up of the O-line. Not for necessarily bad reasons but that perhaps some of the new blood begins to show up and compete at G. If Glenn gets moved anywhere, it has to be RT. The run game to the strong side that usually has TE help blocking would improve big time. That is a big IF as to whether Richardson could handle LT for 20 games in hopes of a playoff run.

Everyone on this message board has a double PhD in Offensive Line-ology. All of the Drs here agree that the offensive line is horrendous and unusable.

(In reality 99% of the people have no idea what they're talking about and the "O-Line sucks" is just an easy way to describe any poor offense.)

^

This X 1 million!

Our OL is fine. If you just shut up and listen, you'd hear fans of every NFL team -minus just a couple- scream how their OL is terrible. Once you realize this and add that these are the very finest players on the planet, you may see how stupid that rhetoric is and begin to look closer at design and schemes. Certain players are more apt at zone blocking, while others are simply more physical. Most teams have a combination of both. Therefore, the weaknesses can be exposed. The "better" OL's are usually found on teams with established coaches and philosophy, as they've had the time to weed out 'non-fits' while acquiring exactly what they want. How many times have we seen 'Top Tier'OL FA's fall flat on new teams?..

Again, these are the very best on the planet. Settle on a philosophy and draft and acquire accordingly.

On the occasion that you do see dominant the team usually goes pretty far though

Whos the best line in football right now? Cowboys?

and that wasn't the case not that long ago. The Cowboys invested a first round pick on an OG, and it greatly helped them improve in both run blocking, and pass blocking.

Kraig Urbik won't ever be confused with an all pro player, and that Bills line still remains on of the worst in the NFL this year. That line is a big reason as to why the Bills offense is so bad. (24th)

^

This X 1 million!

Our OL is fine. If you just shut up and listen, you'd hear fans of every NFL team -minus just a couple- scream how their OL is terrible. Once you realize this and add that these are the very finest players on the planet, you may see how stupid that rhetoric is and begin to look closer at design and schemes. Certain players are more apt at zone blocking, while others are simply more physical. Most teams have a combination of both. Therefore, the weaknesses can be exposed. The "better" OL's are usually found on teams with established coaches and philosophy, as they've had the time to weed out 'non-fits' while acquiring exactly what they want. How many times have we seen 'Top Tier'OL FA's fall flat on new teams?..

Again, these are the very best on the planet. Settle on a philosophy and draft and acquire accordingly.

Our OL is not "fine" because it cannot do what its OC is asking of it. (you could get rid of the OC but that is for another discussion)

The bread and butter play of this team is that run up the middle play that we hope to get a 2nd and short with

We have OT's (one of them anyway) play OG.....and he doesnt have the ass to be a interior linemen....he has the demeanor.....he is a veteran.....but he simply cannot give the interior push on a consistant basis to make this Run game work when other teams KNOW we are gonna run the ball

Urbik? An average OG who immediately made our OL better then whe was inserted into the lineup. That says a lot about the quality of the group.

Moving Cordy to OG would be such a huge mistake......a. He is having a down year but has shown the ability to be a excellent LT....and b. You move him to LG you say good bye to him when he becomes a free agent.

This offseason should be all about getting a good OL coach in there and moving Marrone out of that capacity.....and getting OG's whether it be in the draft or free agency that not only can move people but have the mobiliity to pick up stunts and get to the second level and get a hat on defenders.

Our OL is not "fine" because it cannot do what its OC is asking of it. (you could get rid of the OC but that is for another discussion)

The bread and butter play of this team is that run up the middle play that we hope to get a 2nd and short with

We have OT's (one of them anyway) play OG.....and he doesnt have the ass to be a interior linemen....he has the demeanor.....he is a veteran.....but he simply cannot give the interior push on a consistant basis to make this Run game work when other teams KNOW we are gonna run the ball

Urbik? An average OG who immediately made our OL better then whe was inserted into the lineup. That says a lot about the quality of the group.

Moving Cordy to OG would be such a huge mistake......a. He is having a down year but has shown the ability to be a excellent LT....and b. You move him to LG you say good bye to him when he becomes a free agent.

This offseason should be all about getting a good OL coach in there and moving Marrone out of that capacity.....and getting OG's whether it be in the draft or free agency that not only can move people but have the mobiliity to pick up stunts and get to the second level and get a hat on defenders.

I've been thinking a lot about this, and I generally agree--with one caveat: suppose Glenn, who has 2 full years left on his deal, can be signed to an extension this offseason. Say he'll take average OT money--$7M/year--putting him around 16th in terms of average compensation per year for an OT. Then, and only then, do you move him to OG.

I don't think he'd complain, and assuming Henderson and Kouandjio can handle the OT spots (again HUGE assumption there), neither can be extended under the CBA for two more seasons.

Defenses - and DLines have a history of being lauded and praised through their use of a nickname.

The Fearless Foursome

The Doomsday Defense

The Steel Curtain

The Orange Crush

The Monsters of the Midway

The Killer Bs

The Purple People Eaters

The New York Sack Exchange

The No Name Defense

Then you've got famous OLines: The Hogs and...

What other OLine has a nickname?

Defenses - and DLines have a history of being lauded and praised through their use of a nickname.

The Fearless Foursome

The Doomsday Defense

The Steel Curtain

The Orange Crush

The Killer Bs

The Purple People Eaters

The No Name Defense

The Electric Company

It's extremely rare to see a dominant OL in the NFL. Most of the time, the OL is either good enough or not good enough.

Got that right.

Speaking of dominant, seems every time I watch a Dallas offensive series, and I don't that often, their OL NEVER gets pushed back and Murray is NEVER touched until he's five yards past the LOS. I enjoy watching them work.

GO BILLS!!!

Well said. :thumbsup:

I've recently learned that Marrone wanted more changes to the line previous to the season, and was told Urbik, Pears were quality players by the FO. I don't know who this is saying this, but they should be instantly fired after the season. If it were Whaley I would have thought they would have said so. So, someone above Whaley....hrmmm.

The Fearless Foursome

The Doomsday Defense

The Steel Curtain

The Orange Crush

The Killer Bs

The Purple People Eaters

The No Name Defense

OJ's line, the Electric Co come to mind.

John, you made my point clearer than I did. The 3 best OL -Glenn, Wood & Urbik are NOT from this coaching staff. Their skill sets are unlike every OL Marrone & Co have acquired. Thus, we have players with very different skills trying to acclimate into a new philosophy with players of other skill sets. The key point in my post is that the better OL's can be found on established and tenured coaching staffs, as they've had the time to get exactly what they want on the front line. Marrone's longevity has been questioned all season and NOBODY I've heard is high on keeping Hackett. So the wheel of misfit, 'poor' OL play will likely continue.

I've been thinking a lot about this, and I generally agree--with one caveat: suppose Glenn, who has 2 full years left on his deal, can be signed to an extension this offseason. Say he'll take average OT money--$7M/year--putting him around 16th in terms of average compensation per year for an OT. Then, and only then, do you move him to OG.

I don't think he'd complain, and assuming Henderson and Kouandjio can handle the OT spots (again HUGE assumption there), neither can be extended under the CBA for two more seasons.

Why dont we just leave Cordy where he is at......and go out and pick up the best free agent guard on the market? Like the one from the niners or the one denver?

Leave Seantrel where he is at (he will probably be even better next year) and draft a RG (or even roll with Urbik at that spot which he has shown he is good.

I dont want to depend on a 2nd round pick who was not good enough to dress on game day as a back up. I hope and pray that next year he lights it up and even puts Urbik on the bench at RG....I just dont want to count on it.