"Cr*p rolls downhill..."

A quote from Craig Urbik in an article (link) in today's News. The article focuses on the problems the Bills O line with a nod to Henderson who, according to Vic Carruci, is the best player on the O-line this year.

Urbik's quote continues "...If the offense doesn’t do well, then the O-line gets all the blame. If the offense does well, then the playmakers get all the credit. We understand what it is, we let it brush off our shoulders, and every week we just try to get better."

O lines have been saying this forever, However, considering the struggles with the running game and pass protection this year, it seems appropriate for the O line to take a healthy dose of the blame.

Urbik's comment really rubbed me the wrong way. I don't think the O-line or anyone else has played well enough to be talking about "the playmakers getting all the credit" (unless you're talking about Dan Carpenter) but maybe the TBD Football Gods can set me onto the path of Truth and Righteousness. Or is this just one of the canned responses they are taught to say to deflect questions.

I am psyched about the 8-6 record and even having a slim chance of getting to the playoffs. GO BILLS!!!

Edited by Rivermont Mike

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quote from Craig Urbik in an article (link) in today's News. The article focuses on the problems the Bills O line with a nod to Henderson who, according to Vic Carruci, is the best player on the O-line this year.

Urbik's quote continues "...If the offense doesn’t do well, then the O-line gets all the blame. If the offense does well, then the playmakers get all the credit. We understand what it is, we let it brush off our shoulders, and every week we just try to get better."

O lines have been saying this forever, However, considering the struggles with the running game and pass protection this year, it seems appropriate for the O line to take a healthy dose of the blame.

Urbik's comment really rubbed me the wrong way. I don't think the O-line or anyone else has played well enough to be talking about "the playmakers getting all the credit" (unless you're talking about Dan Carpenter) but maybe the TBD Football Gods can set me onto the path of Truth and Righteousness. Or is this just one of the canned responses they are taught to say to deflect questions.

I am psyched about the 8-6 record and even having a slim chance of getting to the playoffs. GO BILLS!!!

I don't take an issue with the quote. It's typical and mostly true, same thing for a QB. If the offense is playing well, the QB gets the credit. If the offense is bad, the QB gets the blame. the OL falls in the same category to me. It's a nothing quote he made

He's right.

The most interesting item in that article, IMO, is the seemingly-non-mutually-exclusive mentions of Cordy Glenn possibly moving to guard and Seantrel Henderson possibly moving to LT.

Such a move would absolutely require that Kouandjio find his game at RT, or that another RT be brought in via draft or FA. It is quite interesting to think about what that means for the OL, especially if the team were able to add a guy like Clint Boling in FA.

Henderson-Glenn-Wood-Boling-Kouandjio would be a very formidable group, assuming that Kouandjio can play (not exactly a sure thing at this point). Keep Hairston at swing OT, Urbik as your game day interior backup; Chris Williams can play OG and be an emergency OT in a pinch, and Cyril Richardson is a developmental player.

Of course, all of that is moot if Cyrus can't play.

Everyone on this message board has a double PhD in Offensive Line-ology. All of the Drs here agree that the offensive line is horrendous and unusable.

(In reality 99% of the people have no idea what they're talking about and the "O-Line sucks" is just an easy way to describe any poor offense.)

Everyone on this message board has a double PhD in Offensive Line-ology. All of the Drs here agree that the offensive line is horrendous and unusable.

(In reality 99% of the people have no idea what they're talking about and the "O-Line sucks" is just an easy way to describe any poor offense.)

Shameless plug time....

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/171228-the-finer-points-of-ol-play/

As compensation..O line is among the "safest" positions...Much less chance of permanent brain injuries...although I think Marrone may be an exception..

A good QB with at least some mobility always elevates the O Line play..perhaps we will see that sometime down the road.

When the D can just Tee Off it can get ugly.

This is how it always is. Nothing new or shocking. The run game is on the coaches and the backs this year.

He's right.

The most interesting item in that article, IMO, is the seemingly-non-mutually-exclusive mentions of Cordy Glenn possibly moving to guard and Seantrel Henderson possibly moving to LT.

Such a move would absolutely require that Kouandjio find his game at RT, or that another RT be brought in via draft or FA. It is quite interesting to think about what that means for the OL, especially if the team were able to add a guy like Clint Boling in FA.

Henderson-Glenn-Wood-Boling-Kouandjio would be a very formidable group, assuming that Kouandjio can play (not exactly a sure thing at this point). Keep Hairston at swing OT, Urbik as your game day interior backup; Chris Williams can play OG and be an emergency OT in a pinch, and Cyril Richardson is a developmental player.

Of course, all of that is moot if Cyrus can't play.

Just as quickly I'd draft a C and slip Wood to OG

Let Wood get reps at OG until a better OG comes along. Then use Wood at C with the emerged OG. We would have a young backup C/G and possibly save investment in yet another G. Putting the best 5 guys there is all i want. If that means it is Henderson, Glenn, Rookie, Wood, Pears. Or Henderson, Glenn, Wood, new guy/CWilliams, lawn chair.

On the occasion that you do see dominant the team usually goes pretty far though

Whos the best line in football right now? Cowboys?

Probably Dallas, yes.

Not sure about the correlation between dominant OL and overall success. For my money, last year's Bengals had the best OL I can remember watching in the last 10 years (Collins-Whitworth-Cook-Boling-Smith); still equated to a first-round exit at the hands of an 8-8 team.

Not saying you're expressly wrong for the record.

The Broncos have only given up 13 sacks and 33 QB hits all season.

So much of that is Peyton Manning. He gets rid of the ball so quickly it's nearly impossible to get near the guy.

This is how it always is. Nothing new or shocking. The run game is on the coaches and the backs this year.

Just as quickly I'd draft a C and slip Wood to OG

Let Wood get reps at OG until a better OG comes along. Then use Wood at C with the emerged OG. We would have a young backup C/G and possibly save investment in yet another G. Putting the best 5 guys there is all i want. If that means it is Henderson, Glenn, Rookie, Wood, Pears. Or Henderson, Glenn, Wood, new guy/CWilliams, lawn chair.

That's also not a bad idea; my preference has always been to keep Wood at C, because I feel it's his best position. You're right though--best five is a sound philosophy.

On the occasion that you do see dominant the team usually goes pretty far though

Whos the best line in football right now? Cowboys?

The Cowboys offensive line has been getting praised every time they play or are mentioned on SportsCenter.

Reading this article just furthers my belief that Cordy Glenn needs to be a guard, Seantrell moved to LT and Kujo when he is finally ready put in at RT. I think that would be our most athletic and talented line hands down. Have who ever fight for RG. Pears, Williams, Urbik Cyril. Preferably Cyril wins it out. (I'm thinking training camp next year all of this can be done)