New York Bans Fracking

Tiberius

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“ Yes, NG really is great, no doubt. But there was no way the governor was going to rule against the local communities that didn't want this”

@Gator….That is the hypocrisy – everyone in NY benefits right now from fracking – every community – every person – and now Cuomo and the nimby’s claim a “victory” in environmental causes – all the while using the products of fracking – I have been through PA every month for the last ten years – I ask all the time about any anecdotal evidence of fracking problems – nothing.

I would respect Cuomo and all these communities if the stopped using fracked NG – put your money where your mouth is.

No, if a facking operation takes place in your area you might not like it. Local people should be able decide they don't want all that in their area. That's not hypocrisy at all. More traffic, more noise, more pollution, that would suck. My mom farm in West Virginia was studded with gas wells, the hills had been shaved away in the 1940's and they were still driving all over the place. It was a pain.

It's not so much NIMBY as it's the NYC crowd who hates the word. The local communities are basically split on the issues. The poorer NYS districts are the more supportive, while the weekend getaway places for NYCers are more opposed.

Guess where there are more votes and basis for Cuomo support, and guess where the Marcellus Shale is. Probably has a high correlation to the fiasco that is the SAFE act.

HA HA, love it, everything bad is the Liberal's fault. You are such an idiot.

Look at all these rural Liberals!!

There has been a wave of local resolutions, laws and proposals to ban or limit fracking and the disposal of fracking waste, including 35 in New Jersey, 13 in California, 10 in Colorado, 18 in Michigan and many more in Ohio, Pennsylvania and North Carolina, according to the activist group Food & Water Watch. Even the District has adopted a resolution urging a prohibition on fracking in the George Washington National Forest.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/12/18/heres-the-grassroots-political-story-behind-the-new-york-fracking-ban/

Here's a town that banned fracking in the story, hardly a rich community

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dryden,_New_York

Seems like they just didn't want all the pollution, noise and congestion

Why don't they want it?

they don't want the drilling

HA HA, love it, everything bad is the Liberal's fault. You are such an idiot.

Look at all these rural Liberals!!

Read what I wrote moron, then do a fuller sampling of communities that are pro & con and then get back to me. One town near Ithaca isn't really helping your case.

@gator - That is THE DEFINITION of nimby - I don't want it here but I will be glad to enjoy the benefits

I suspect alternative energy would really take off if they did that in every community

Read what I wrote moron, then do a fuller sampling of communities that are pro & con and then get back to me. One town near Ithaca isn't really helping your case.

That's a weekend community of NYers? Whatever dude. I suppose the other ones in all the other states are too.

I suspect alternative energy would really take off if they did that in every community

That's a weekend community of NYers? Whatever dude. I suppose the other ones in all the other states are too.

I suspect you are a moron who has no idea why 'alternative energy' hasn't 'taken off' in every community.

If you learned any science, you would know that this anti-fracking stuff is utter BS. Go watch Frack Nation. I saw it on AXS back in 2013.

The gas drilling takes place deep down. Drinking water is shallow. the two don't mix.

Gatorman, the "eternal flame" in Chestnut Ridge Park is naturally occurring, not due to any fracking.

I suspect you are a moron who has no idea why 'alternative energy' hasn't 'taken off' in every community.

Everyone who has no idea how far we are from alt energy sources fulfilling our energy needs is certain that alt energy should power their community and they all agree that they don't want unsightly and loud turbines in their community.

I used to live near the Altamonte wind farm in Altamont, CA (where the 60s died- see the Gimmie Shelter concert pic by the Rolling Stones). It is the second biggest wind farm in the US, I believe over 1000 windmills. The interstate passes through this area and althouh it is windy almost all the time, most of the windmills are still (inactive).

I have traveled quite a bit through PA over the last decade and the one bummer is fracking involves ALOT of heavy trucking - and it is a real bummer - but on the other hand - we ALL need the energy and it s the cheapest cleanest option we have

No, if a facking operation takes place in your area you might not like it. Local people should be able decide they don't want all that in their area. That's not hypocrisy at all. More traffic, more noise, more pollution, that would suck. My mom farm in

The local people didn't decide.

I used to live near the Altamonte wind farm in Altamont, CA (where the 60s died- see the Gimmie Shelter concert pic by the Rolling Stones). It is the second biggest wind farm in the US, I believe over 1000 windmills. The interstate passes through this area and althouh it is windy almost all the time, most of the windmills are still (inactive).

I've driven through the San Gorgonio Pass Wind Farm a number of times on the way to visit the in-laws near Palm Springs and always notice the same thing. I wonder what the average # of days the windmills spend off-line.

It's because they kill birds. We must protect the birds and the delta smelt first then provide for the humans.