Eric Wood's hit on Clay Matthews

Jerry Jabber

I wonder what the comments would be if it was say Kiko on the receiving end of exactly the same play.

I suspect somewhat different.

It was at the very least borderline dirty to me. Well behind the play but probably close enough not to get a call for that.

But if you look at the link above, you can see Woods lower his head and hit CM what looks to be in the chin. You can further see this was most likely the case by looking at the way CMs head moves after the contact.

I don't like cheap shots if the Bills player is giving or receiving them.

My reaction would be entirely different: Instead of cheering I would've said "C'mon Kiko, keep your head up out there."

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inflicting pain is an integral part of the game.

No it's not.

Out-maneuvering your opponent with skill and guile is an integral part of the game.

Imposing your will on the man across from you is an integral part of the game.

Inflicting pain is nothing more than a fringe benefit :devil:

Legal hit, good football play especially considering the chippy ness of the game up until that point. People who have a problem with this hit should consider watching non contact sports like golf or badminton. Football is violent and fast, big boy rules.

I love it! This team needs to be more bad ass than pussies

... Which is exactly why I wish you were a jests fan.

I'd say the Woods hit was legal and not dirty, but the Hughes hit was both dirty and illegal, IMO.

Bull. Shoulder to shoulder and Bulaga was moving towards First Blood. It was EXACTLY like the hit that 58 laid on Fred Jackson. EXCEPT THAT HIT WAS BOTH DIRTY AND ILLEGAL BECAUSE IT WAS 5 SECONDS AFTER THE WHISTLE!!!

Bull. Shoulder to shoulder and Bulaga was moving towards First Blood. It was EXACTLY like the hit that 58 laid on Fred Jackson. EXCEPT THAT HIT WAS BOTH DIRTY AND ILLEGAL BECAUSE IT WAS 5 SECONDS AFTER THE WHISTLE!!!

It was after the whistle, but FJ was at least partially to blame for trying to make a tackle 5 seconds after the whistle.

It was after the whistle, but FJ was at least partially to blame for trying to make a tackle 5 seconds after the whistle.

Jogging towards a sideline 40 feet away from a long dead ball is hardly trying to make a tackle. It was a chicken-shlt, dirtbag play from Barrington that accomplished nothing but putting Fred's brothers in headhunter mode.

Jogging towards a sideline 40 feet away from a long dead ball is hardly trying to make a tackle. It was a chicken-shlt, dirtbag play from Barrington that accomplished nothing but putting Fred's brothers in headhunter mode.

+1

It fired up the crowd too. Packers fans went into hiding after that in our section. You don't hit the team leader (late and dirty) and not have to face consequences.

i loved the hit. still amazed at how pro athletes like matthews get so stupid after an INT or broken play and seem to forget they're live targets out there.

the crackback block is a part of the game, and frankly its not that hard to avoid with basic on field awareness. either the play is live and you're running to the ball looking to avoid blockers on the way or you're dogging it. you choose.

+1

It fired up the crowd too. Packers fans went into hiding after that in our section. You don't hit the team leader (late and dirty) and not have to face consequences.

At the risk of sounding like some internet tough guy, I think the Packers were pretty galdanged fortunate that Bulaga was the only guy that got rung up.

The Bills D year-long history of dealing damage + that offense's relative inexperience dealing with pick returns + the fact that we actually took two from Rodgers + the fact that it was Fred = a recipe for a potential slaughterhouse out there. I'd like to see a full field view of what ensued after the second pick to see if Rodgers immediately hit the ground and about 7 other Packers were spinning in circles trying to locate incoming missiles.

The fact that it was Bulaga's replacement that gave up the game-ending play to the Big Man was some tasty frontier justice. :D

At the risk of sounding like some internet tough guy, I think the Packers were pretty galdanged fortunate that Bulaga was the only guy that got rung up.

The Bills D year-long history of dealing damage + that offense's relative inexperience dealing with pick returns + the fact that we actually took two from Rodgers + the fact that it was Fred = a recipe for a potential slaughterhouse out there. I'd like to see a full field view of what ensued after the second pick to see if Rodgers immediately hit the ground and about 7 other Packers were spinning in circles trying to locate incoming missiles.

The fact that it was Bulaga's replacement that gave up the game-ending play to the Big Man was some tasty frontier justice. :D

:lol::beer:

I went and rewatched it today and I disagree. FJ was running (not jogging) with the intent of making a tackle.

I love how so many people think a blow up legal hit is cheap and dirty. It was textbook, and not late. It's football. Matthews was still in play and shoulder to shoulder. What do you want Wood to do?

There was absolutely nothing illegal, cheap, or late about this hit. NOTHING. I hate seeing late or cheap hits as it is dangerous to both players, but legal hits are part of this game.

If you hate this part of the game, watch soccer.

I thought that was the "hidden" impact play of the game.

Bulaga and Mario were having an awesome battle throughout the day, with Bulaga doing great work stalemating the big man. After Hughes sent him to the locker room, Mario took advantage of the back-up and beat him on the edge to make the play that ended the game. I doubt he makes that play if Bulaga is still on the field.

And regarding the big hits against the grain by both Wood and Hughes, I bet those never happen if that idiot Barrington hadn't lit up Fred with a cheap shot a full 2-3 seconds after the whistle on the non-return after Orton's pick.

Yeah Barrington set the Wood hit in motion, I feel sure of that because the OL was fired up. Hughes though, I think he does that regardless.

As an aside.....remember all the Spiller fans on here laughing about the idea of drafting Bulaga to bolster that OL instead of CJ? Earl Thomas or Demaryius Thomas would have been better choices in hindsight than either of them but Bulaga has turned into a very good OL and he figures to be around for a long time.

Wood is a great player. Of current Bills, I think he is in the same league as Fred Jackson. He'll go down as a great, and it'll be a sad day when he retires.

He's been mostly bad this season actually. Definitely far from great.

Yeah Barrington set the Wood hit in motion, I feel sure of that because the OL was fired up. Hughes though, I think he does that regardless.

I don't know man. After having to stand around grinding his teeth for half a game last week, I wonder if Hughes wouldn't have been on his best behavior; that is until Barrington blew up his captain and gave everybody else a freebie to play with.

As an aside.....remember all the Spiller fans on here laughing about the idea of drafting Bulaga to bolster that OL instead of CJ? Earl Thomas or Demaryius Thomas would have been better choices in hindsight than either of them but Bulaga has turned into a very good OL and he figures to be around for a long time.

I'll tell you this much. If Whaley had been the GM at the time, CJ Spiller (or any other 190lb RB) would not have been the pick. He fought that one at the time.

He also went down to Atlanta to personally work out Demaryius Thomas and the Bills were trying to trade back up into the mid-late 20's for him when Denver snagged him first.

He's been mostly bad this season actually. Definitely far from great.

Love that dude; he can wear a Bills uni as long as he wants. That being said, I'm really afraid his legs are shot.

I went and rewatched it today and I disagree. FJ was running (not jogging) with the intent of making a tackle.

I won't argue too hard with you because I only saw it the one time live and never since.

I just know it pissed me off at the time and if Fred had been hustling to make a tackle on a live ball I don't think I would have reacted by dropping a string of f-bombs and death threats that made the dog run out of the room. :blush:

2 questions:

How long has Bulaga or Matthews been playing NFL football, never mind football in general?

Shouldn't we expect, that they know, on plays like that, to keep their heads up/on a swivel?

Thus, I don't understand any tearing up over them getting rocked. I was listening to the Packers post-game radio(because schadefreude), and they were laying it all at Schwartz's feet. "Well, it seems that once again, this is the kind of team JIm Schwartz wants...cheap shots...etc".

I almost called in to remind them that Kerry Wood plays on offense, and that Doug Marrone was the head coach, but it was more fun to listen to their incoherent wailing. So satisfying. :lol:

:blink: I guess so, that was quite the strike out of Clay Matthews.