Orton Being Underappreciated Again with Bills

EJ is friggin terrible and will never start for this team or any other unless he improves dramatically. If he was better than Orton, he would be playing. He is not playing because he is awful. I really wish EJ was the next Tom Brady...I really do. And I hope he proves me wrong. But as of now EJ is friggin terrible and will never see the field again short of injury.

Well, there ya have it. Its settled then.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ is friggin terrible and will never start for this team or any other unless he improves dramatically. If he was better than Orton, he would be playing. He is not playing because he is awful. I really wish EJ was the next Tom Brady...I really do. And I hope he proves me wrong. But as of now EJ is friggin terrible and will never see the field again short of injury.

Orton had a 17 QBR yesterday. 17. The offense has scored 4 TD's in 5 week. You are telling me EJ wouldnt be able to do that? EJ could not manage to get a 17 QBR? EJ wouldnt be able to start a drive in field goal territory and end up on the wrong side of the 50?

When the running game is keeping the clock moving, Fred is gaining yards off screen plays, some Woods, some Sammy, nice misdirection to Brown down the sidelines--if Bryce Brown had ANY sense of field angles, he'd be a good player.

What we all want to see now is TD's not FG's. fix this and were set.

The big problem is what you wrote in your signature about Fred Jackson: He is the epitome of a true Bill; giving his all every game through losing years.

What should truly epitomize our football team is that we have great winners, not great losers. If Kyle Orton was anything more than a warm body, he needed to win the KC and Miami games (especially KC, which was in his grasp with one decent throw to an open receiver in the end zone.)

In fact, Orton came just as close to beating KC this year as Tuel did last year. Chew on that for a while (while considering that last year's KC game was a nice-to-have while this year's was a must-have)

Bryce Brown and McKelvin lost the KC games with key short field turnovers, 14 point swing. Orton was not the cause of this years loss. Tuel was the cause of last years loss with the idiot rookie pick6 he threw at the goal line ; a ball that not even EJ throws. Short field turnovers lose games. We lost both KC games due to them. 14 point swingers. Rarely do teams recover from them to win.

Edited by 8and8Forever

Bryce Brown and McKelvin lost the KC games with key short field turnovers, 14 point swing. Orton was not the cause of this years loss. Tuel was the cause of last years loss with the idiot rookie pick6 he threw at the goal line.

It's fair to place part of the KC blame on Leo and Brown; Orton shoulders the blame for missing both Hogan and Watkins wide open on the 4th-and-goal series

I can't stand Orton's play, but there is no way EJM is going to start.

If Jeff Tuel or EJM had started this whole season, they would be playing at least as well as Orton at this point of the season. Orton is completely crapping the bed. Of course, they would have lost too many games as they gained experience, so it wasn't really an option.

I think EJM will be the QB next season.

Bryce Brown and McKelvin lost the KC games with key short field turnovers, 14 point swing. Orton was not the cause of this years loss. Tuel was the cause of last years loss with the idiot rookie pick6 he threw at the goal line ; a ball that not even EJ throws. Short field turnovers lose games. We lost both KC games due to them. 14 point swingers. Rarely do teams recover from them to win.

Tuel made a bad decision, and probably learned a big lesson. That is easily correctable. I think it's wrong to write the guy off because of rookie mistakes.

So if everyone else plays mistake free, Orton can win some games.

Why are people defending this guy's awful play?

Edited by HoF Watkins

Totally agree. We are doomed if he becomes the starter...........

It's fair to place part of the KC blame on Leo and Brown; Orton shoulders the blame for missing both Hogan and Watkins wide open on the 4th-and-goal series

Never should have come to that. From scrimmage most mistakes/missed passes, etc. even out. They had 'em beat and Brown/Leo handed the game back to them with turnovers, just as Tuel did last year. Inside the 10 turnovers - either end of field. absolute Killers. Experienced guys with no situational awareness. Now that both are effectively out of the lineup we are doing better. Marrone simply is building his team. And the Win/Loss record suffers in the process. They will get there.

Not that I am a huge EJ fan, but didn't Rodgers sit for like 3 years before he started a game? Is it possible the kid , who is super intelligent and analytical and careful, will take 2+ years to shed the baggage and just play? Could be. Remember, Houston was the end for EJ, but we are seeing JJ Watt is shredding all comers, not just EJ. Guy will be MVP. So yeah not sure, but not sure I am done with EJ. I like RGIII, we may be able to get him cheap and he will finally have a normal offseason of work and be fully ready to go next year. He had no shot this year came back too early from the ACL, their OLine is terrible, no fit with Gruden system, and he broke his ankle bad.

Edited by 8and8Forever

Never should have come to that. From scrimmage most mistakes/missed passes, etc. even out. They had 'em beat and Brown/Leo handed the game back to them with turnovers, just as Tuel did last year. Inside the 10 turnovers - either end of field. absolute Killers. Experienced guys with no situational awareness. Now that both are effectively out of the lineup we are doing better. Marrone simply is building his team. And the Win/Loss record suffers in the process. They will get there.

Yet it did...and when it comes down to an NFL QB hitting an open WR for a win, that's a scenario I'd bet that any coach in the history of the NFL would take 100 times out of 100.

Like it or not, you cannot take away momentum-shifting plays in the middle of the game, which is why it's fair to give SOME of the blame to Leo and Brown. By the same token, once those plays have happened, you're still allowed to go out there and win the game by out-executing your opponent moving forward, and that's why it's more than fair to mete out a share of the blame to Orton for being unable to hit on one of two throws that all 32 starting QBs in the NFL should be able to make 9 times out of 10.

If the coach decided to start EJ now, and if the Bills lost either of the next two games with EJ in there, then it would go down in history as one of the absolute dumbest moves ever made by a Bills head coach.

While I agree with your prmise, the "absolute dumbest moves ever made by a Bills head coach" is a high standard. It would be dumb, but dumber than benching your starting QB in the playoffs? That will be hard to top. Not sure it's even possible.

Like it or not, you cannot take away momentum-shifting plays in the middle of the game, which is why it's fair to give SOME of the blame to Leo and Brown.

Lawson deserves a fair share of credit too for not staying home on those 2 running TDs. Lawson did not stay home and cheated inside and got run around on BOTH of those.

Edited by reddogblitz

This is the same coaching staff that kept Cyril Richardson as the starting left guard with Kraig Urbik on the bench. You can't use that as any kind of "valid" proof.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I dont understand the need to trash EJ like he will never develop into a good starter. It is in every Bills fans best interest that he develop this offseason and come out firing in the preseason. If he doesn't, we have a 32 year regressing QB with no first round pick and a dominant defense. That could get us to 8-8 if we get a few breaks.

This is the same coaching staff that kept Cyril Richardson as the starting left guard with Kraig Urbik on the bench. You can't use that as any kind of "valid" proof.

Unless EJ has been mouthing off and throwing hissy fits, I think we can safely assume that.

Look, I like EJ and hope he succeeds, but:

1) EJ doesn't make that throw early in the game to Watkins down the sideline.

2) I have never seen EJ make the back-shoulder throw that Woods caught

3) EJ doesn't read the blitzing corner and make that long throw to Bryce Brown.

4) On the last drive when we needed a third down conversion, I am not confident in EJ making the throw to Chandler in tight coverage for a 1st down conversion.

And this was only yesterday, when Orton was pretty bad.

The other thing that people forget was that what drove us all crazy about EJ was his inability to throw the ball with any accuracy anywhere, even the dump offs. Orton isn't great (e.g., he missed Woods on an easy cross), but he is better. He's not getting his dump off and screen passes batted down like EJ was, or throwing them into the ground.

The EJ doesn't do or can't do posts are great

1) and 2) first game of the year, against the Bears first qtr, EJ throws the ball to Woods and the defender doesn't have a chance to break on the ball because he's not aware the ball is already out.

3) Both passes against the Jets, first one in New Jersey, he reads the blitz coming from his left (CB and LB) and hits Chandler for a score that ties the game, this is the Justin Rogers game. Second game of the year against the Jets he reads a safety blitz and with a LB about to hit him hits Graham for a score. Blitz 0 - Bills 14

4) 3rd and 1 in Falcons territory, 23 seconds left, EJ hits Stevie streaking down the middle of the field, we would have been in field position to win the game had Stevie not fumbled the ball.

He can do all those things, problem is, he's not consistent enough.

For the record, I think Orton should finish the year as the starter unless he goes down with injury. Regardless of what people think or feel about EJ, Orton is playing awful football right now.

The EJ doesn't do or can't do posts are great

1) and 2) first game of the year, against the Bears first qtr, EJ throws the ball to Woods and the defender doesn't have a chance to break on the ball because he's not aware the ball is already out.

3) Both passes against the Jets, first one in New Jersey, he reads the blitz coming from his left (CB and LB) and hits Chandler for a score that ties the game, this is the Justin Rogers game. Second game of the year against the Jets he reads a safety blitz and with a LB about to hit him hits Graham for a score. Blitz 0 - Bills 14

4) 3rd and 1 in Falcons territory, 23 seconds left, EJ hits Stevie streaking down the middle of the field, we would have been in field position to win the game had Stevie not fumbled the ball.

He can do all those things, problem is, he's not consistent enough.

For the record, I think Orton should finish the year as the starter unless he goes down with injury. Regardless of what people think or feel about EJ, Orton is playing awful football right now.

My opinion is that the people who constantly bash EJ are either stupid or just trolling for responses from sensible people who realize that EJ is a young, inexperienced QB who was forced into starting before he was ready and was playing behind a very poor offensive line with a questionable Offensive coordinator. Yet he still put up relatively similar results to the 10yr vet who replaced him and gave the Bills a "better chance to win".