Sanctimonious holier than thou Sullivan and sycophants.

Love him or hate him, I still think this line from his column today is one of the quotes of the year:

'Yes, it would probably be better if NFL officials weren’t seen celebrating for any reason. It’s not the smartest move. But I defy you to point out one call by the officials this season that was dumber than trading away next year’s No. 1 draft pick for Sammy Watkins.'

Love him or hate him, I still think this line from his column today is one of the quotes of the year:

'Yes, it would probably be better if NFL officials weren’t seen celebrating for any reason. It’s not the smartest move. But I defy you to point out one call by the officials this season that was dumber than trading away next year’s No. 1 draft pick for Sammy Watkins.'

It would have been a nice quote if he had written it on draft day.

As for Sammy, I have posted that I really like the kid and am happy that he is on the Bills, but Doug Whaley got schooled in the art of negotiation by Farmer. We gave up far more than the Dolphins did the year before and the Dolphins had to move up more spots. The Dolphins traded their 12th and 42nd picks in the 2013 draft to move up from 12 to 3 (9 spots). The outer limits of the market had been set with that trade. There was no reason to pay more especially with the WR talent in the draft. Instead of paying attention to the market, we traded number 9 (2014), a first (2015), and a fourth (2015) to move up 5 spots.

People have disagreed with me, but I think that Farmer played Whaley when he put him on hold to "take another call."

If Jerry Sullivan wanted to impress us with his wisdom, he could have written something like the above the day after the draft.

As for Sammy, I like the kid and am not going to hold Whaley's bad negotiating skills against him. Sammy seems like a good kid and has lots of talent. He also was a Bills fan before he was ever drafted by the Bills.

Edited by Peter

I can honestly say i have never read a Jerry Sullivan column. ONly reason i know about him is from this board and the snippits people post here. Howard STern wouldn't be Howard STern if he didn't cause controversy and push the limits of the Radio rules before Sirius was invented. Sullivan does the same thing but in a paper column or online.

You won't change how he thinks. The Bills could win the SB and he would find fault in it.

Every city has a sports columnist like Sullivan who intentionally irks the folks. Indy has a guy Bob Kravitz who does the same thing. Jerrywill be better's opinion on the Bills his his own and don't agree with it. 3 things are working against the Offense: 1) Bad QB play. Orton has stunk since the BYE. 2) Hackett is over his head and it shows. 3) Marrone and his feet of clay. Bills need to improve in these areas to be better next season.

Mostly can't stand Sullivan but he was right this time. Losers complain about the officials. Winners win.

And it is kind of funny because the calls against the Bills were correct this game. KW held. Graham was guilty of unnecesary roughness and Hughes went nuts.

The officials didn't fumble out of the endzone against the Chiefs nor throw an INT at the goal line against Denver.

Every city has a sports columnist like Sullivan who intentionally irks the folks. Indy has a guy Bob Kravitz who does the same thing.

Not every NFL city has a pro football team that's missed the playoffs going on 15 seasons in a row. Just like the Bills will get respect when they start winning, the columnists (who are paid to write their opinion) will begin to give them some credit when it happens. Because Russ and the Doug's have delivered jack in 2 seasons while they were in charge.

The Bills also haven't earned much trust from the media in recent years, talking a mean game and then delivering practically nothing. If a Bills fan doesn't believe management, it's not that fan's fault. It's the team's.

Meanwhile, Indianapolis is headed to their third straight post-season. So Kravitz probably can't be as pointed as Sullivan is.

thus far, it looks like the refs werent quite as bad as the board thinks, and while we made some plays - they certainly were allowing short completions between the hashes. 30 seconds for 5 yards is a great trade when an offense needs 2 tds in 4 minutes.

the bills have a good defense but everything else let them down, and some penalties from the D didnt help (but im not calling out the D for sunday).

I also think the Denver players do a lot of acting out trying to draw flags. Whether they're coached that way or as prima donnas feel they're special, idk. So perhaps if the refs weren't biased, they were still incompetent for succumbing to the acting. Cases in point:

1.Gilmore gets a perfectly executed clean hit on sanders. Sanders on the ground at first looks like vegetable, then later after the call is official he miraculously resurrects and leads the stadium in a round of cheering. Doesnt get the concussion check on the sidelines either

2. Urbik touches a DB who flies back 7 yards out of the picture. Draws a flag. Urbik is a big guy but I can't possibly imagine a push like that sends a 200lb guy flying that far. If it does he's Hercules.

3. There was another play where a Denver DL started flapping his arms and drew a flag. Don't remember which players were involved but the review was very questionable.

4. We didn't get to see them but I'm guessing the penalties on Kyle Williams and Graham after the picks had similar elements.

I also think the Denver players do a lot of acting out trying to draw flags. Whether they're coached that way or as prima donnas feel they're special, idk. So perhaps if the refs weren't biased, they were still incompetent for succumbing to the acting. Cases in point:

1.Gilmore gets a perfectly executed clean hit on sanders. Sanders on the ground at first looks like vegetable, then later after the call is official he miraculously resurrects and leads the stadium in a round of cheering. Doesnt get the concussion check on the sidelines either

2. Urbik touches a DB who flies back 7 yards out of the picture. Draws a flag. Urbik is a big guy but I can't possibly imagine a push like that sends a 200lb guy flying that far. If it does he's Hercules.

3. There was another play where a Denver DL started flapping his arms and drew a flag. Don't remember which players were involved but the review was very questionable.

4. We didn't get to see them but I'm guessing the penalties on Kyle Williams and Graham after the picks had similar elements.

1) Gilmore was called for being early not high. He was in fact early.

4) glad you've decided it happened on plays you didn't see. Graham dive on a guy that was on the ground, and KW did hold.

Really haven't looked at the othe two since Sunday so I'll refrain from commenting. They may ham it up but a lot of the calls made still were not incorrect.

1) Gilmore was called for being early not high. He was in fact early.

4) glad you've decided it happened on plays you didn't see. Graham dive on a guy that was on the ground, and KW did hold.

Really haven't looked at the othe two since Sunday so I'll refrain from commenting. They may ham it up but a lot of the calls made still were not incorrect.

I saw the Gilmore replay and he wasn't early. On Graham and Williams neither were shown and what I said is I'm guessing there were similar elements ...not "decided" it happened. Also the urbik play I did see and you failed to ackowledge. Please restrict your comments as a response to actual content of the post you quoted.

Thank you,

The management

Edited by JTSP

I saw the Gilmore replay and he wasn't early. On Graham and Williams neither were shown and what I said is I'm guessing there were similar elements ...not "decided" it happened. Also the urbik play I did see and you failed to ackowledge. Please restrict your comments as a response to actual content of the post you quoted.

Thank you,

The management

gilmore was certainly early. you cannot find a screen grab of sanders getting to the ball before gilmore hits him. doesnt happen.

the 2 you havent seen have been discussed here by those that saw them and they were penalties. "i didnt see it" is a terrible excuse for "im guessing that the broncos faked it and the refs were duped"

i specifically said i havent rewatched the other 2 (and urbiks was one of the other two) since sunday. im not sure how that amounts to not acknowledging it.

Edited by NoSaint

gilmore was certainly early. you cannot find a screen grab of sanders getting to the ball before gilmore hits him. doesnt happen.

the 2 you havent seen have been discussed here by those that saw them and they were penalties. "i didnt see it" is a terrible excuse for "im guessing that the broncos faked it and the refs were duped"

i specifically said i have rewatched the other 2 (and urbiks was one of the other two) since sunday. im not sure how that amounts to not acknowledging it.

Show me the screen grabs where gilmore is clearly early.

Testimonials I've seen on this board from people at the game have been we got hosed on the Graham and williams calls.

Show me the screen grabs where gilmore is clearly early.

Testimonials I've seen on this board from people at the game have been we got hosed on the Graham and williams calls.

its clear as day in the all 22 and several that were there said that graham got blocked low, felt slighted and dove on the defender who was still on the ground. go to the replays of the gilmore hit - ive posted the replay in other threads. the ball is a few yards away when gilmore contacts him. others that took your stance after watching even said they got it wrong and he was early. if you ignore the announcers talking about helmet to helmet its a pretty clear call. KW also got big ol handfuls of the defender if you watch the all 22 and get the better angle. another situation where several posters that were positive of conspiracy have changed their tunes after looking.

Edited by NoSaint

I am tired of Jerry Sullivan and his disciples who tell us that we are crybabies because we are angry at continuously unfair officiating. They're above it. Sullivan is okay calling Orton "horrible" for his game Sunday. He claimed that the yards were gained during garbage time when Denver was allowing the completions. Huh? You're kidding, Sully. The Broncos were not allowing anything. They were not in a prevent defense. Orton hit a first down on 4th and 16. Good try.

I was at the game, we got jobbed by a rookie crew.

Denver is a better team. They were in the Super Bowl last year. They have one of the greatest QB's in history. They were at home. They're supposed to beat anybody at home, and they usually do.

They didn't need help from the zebras. Manning would have figured out a way to win the game either way.

Sullivan called the Bills a bad team. The Bills are a rising team with a really good defense. It would not shock me if they beat Green Bay this week. We're underdogs. Take the home dog.

I'm upset because the refs messed up the game. I don't think the Bills would have won that game, but it would have been a lot more fun to watch had the refs called it correctly.

You are totally right. Jerry Sullivan is a really bad person and I think should be pitied for his always negative point of view. He is a miserable person and needs to have a better view of life. At this point, he should just be ignored......

Mostly can't stand Sullivan but he was right this time. Losers complain about the officials. Winners win.

And it is kind of funny because the calls against the Bills were correct this game. KW held. Graham was guilty of unnecesary roughness and Hughes went nuts.

The officials didn't fumble out of the endzone against the Chiefs nor throw an INT at the goal line against Denver.

I really can't find anything in Sullivan's post-game article to complain about, since I said many of the same things while I was watching the game. Some quotes from the article:

The Bills played undisciplined and brought a lot of it on themselves. Marrone agreed, but he said to put the blame on him.

Any argument with that?

When the game was in doubt, though, Orton wasn’t up to it. The fact is, he needed to be great for the Bills to pull the upset. He was terrible. On a day when Peyton Manning was ordinary, with the game there to be taken, the Bills needed their quarterback to be their best player and emotional leader.

Or that? If there was, I assume we'd be seeing the "Tell My Why Orton Isn't the Long Term Answer" thread bumping back up to the top. This is the game that makes even lukewarm Orton supporters (I'm one of them) admit that Orton Is Not the Answer to Any Question.

Orton can make the throws when he’s not getting pressured – the fourth quarter was evidence – but if he has to move in the pocket and make plays under pressure, he panics. On one play, he basically turned his back and turtled into a sack.

Or this?

The defense was good, but not great. They didn’t sack Manning and were ordinary against the run. They gave up three plays of 35-plus yards, including a career-high 47-yard run by Juwan Thompson, a rookie running back from Duke who was around fifth on the depth chart when the season began.

The Bills have one of the top defenses in the NFL. They set a team record for sacks last year and will probably break it again this season. But they’re 7-6, this year and 13-16 under Marrone. They played three elite QBs this season (Manning, Philip Rivers and Tom Brady) and lost to them all.

This is the one that seems to bother people the most. But it's the one that Bills management (and fans) need to hear. The idea of "our defense is good enough that all we need to do is (1) add some playmakers!, or (2) find an adequate, not "good" quarterback!, or (3) bring in a couple guards! -- that idea has been deflated by the defense's play against good offenses this year. It's kind of a denial thing -- we all want to think this franchise is finally turning the corner. But I'm starting to worry that this is as good as it gets. We all know about Jerry Hughes and his contract year, but other critical players are about to get really expensive (Dareus) or old (Kyle, Fred) or are already expensive and tilting toward an inevitable decline phase (Mario). Even Spiller is getting pricey, hasn't shown much in the Marrone era, and I'm not seeing Bryce Brown emerging as replacement. And there's the dead money (Mike Williams; do we still owe FItzy anything?; the money committed to Orton if we have to keep him because there's not alternative). There's still no QB of the future on this team. There's no first round pick. Yeah, Sullivan's article is a downer. It's also a reality check ...