Stopping Manning - STL Blueprint UPDATED w/JW's All-22 Review

thebandit27

The Bills put a ton of pressure on Brady last year and very much affected his effectiveness in the passing game. They just managed to beat us on the ground. In the 1st game this year though, we didn't get enough pressure.

Yeah, A meant this this year, they lost there starting center in the 1st quarter, they had all types of inferior line problems, we sent 4 all day, and let him step up, planter and throw.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@RQUINN619: Peyton avg time to sack is 2.98 seconds, the quickest in NFL. Basically, if pressured, falls down

@RQUINN619: Peyton avg time to throw is 2.25 seconds, lowest in league. Interior pressure will be key

@RQUINN619: When he's not pressured, Peyton completes 70.5%. With pressure drops to 51.5%

The other key is clogging the short passing lanes. Dare him to best you deep. Not sure he has the arm to do it anymore and if you are getting pressure up the middle it makes going deep harder to start with. Do not blitz too much. If you blitz and give him dump offs he will shred you because he puts the ball where his guy can make YAC.

With Schwartz's scheme and Hughes out wide we should expect the DL to blanket the pocket. Hughes responsibilities this week we be different then normal and he will have to stay home setting the edge and expect the SLB to fill the hole. I don't see the running game working well between the OG's and see a lot of bounce outs to the LB cleaning up - hopefully that is Spikes.

The Broncos have adjusted their offensive strategy in the last few weeks by playing 6 offensive linemen to hammer defenses with CJ Anderson in the run game. In the last two games Anderson has 168 yards vs MIA and another 169 yards last night at KC. It's no longer just about stopping Manning.

I am fine with this as long as Spikes is on the field when those guys are. I expect the Broncos to try and go no huddle with quick substitutions. In this case I hope Marrone and Co know the rule that if the offense makes a substitution the defense must be able to make a substitution.

We can send Spikes up the middle a couple times too. I'm sure he'd relish the opportunity.

More than Rodgers or Brady, I think our defense is built to beat Manning. Let's see what Schwartz can do.

Agreed. We have been slow to get rolling on D recently. Throughout the game I hope Spikes is in on running downs and when the RB's are in but not in spread offenses or units without a RB. Elsewise the first series we need to march Spikes up the middle a few times in the first few series.

I'm not sure we should be playing Spikes, he's a liability and the middle of the field will be wide open for passes all day.

If he is playing MLB in a nickel or dime package he will not be covering anyone and will just end up spying on the backfield or TE.

Blitz LB's early and often on stunts up the middle. Our LB's can't cover Thomas anyways. Play three safeties with A. Williams single high most of the game. Searcy should play big-nickel and mimic Kam Chancellor. Spikes should play but not be asked to man-cover. Just run blitz, pass rush, or drop into short zones.

Bingo. Big nickel.

Line up:

Hughes - Dareus - Kyle Williams

Bradham - Spikes - MWilliams

Gilmore - Robey - Graham

AWiliams - DWilliams

Put Hughes on the weak side, Mario on the strong side to play LB/DE.

We can also play Lawson in Mario's place as a WLB similar to the position he played last year. I am fine with Lawson on the TE.

With Schwartz's scheme and Hughes out wide we should expect the DL to blanket the pocket. Hughes responsibilities this week we be different then normal and he will have to stay home setting the edge and expect the SLB to fill the hole. I don't see the running game working well between the OG's and see a lot of bounce outs to the LB cleaning up - hopefully that is Spikes.

I am fine with this as long as Spikes is on the field when those guys are. I expect the Broncos to try and go no huddle with quick substitutions. In this case I hope Marrone and Co know the rule that if the offense makes a substitution the defense must be able to make a substitution.

Agreed. We have been slow to get rolling on D recently. Throughout the game I hope Spikes is in on running downs and when the RB's are in but not in spread offenses or units without a RB. Elsewise the first series we need to march Spikes up the middle a few times in the first few series.

If he is playing MLB in a nickel or dime package he will not be covering anyone and will just end up spying on the backfield or TE.

Bingo. Big nickel.

Line up:

Hughes - Dareus - Kyle Williams

Bradham - Spikes - MWilliams

Gilmore - Robey - Graham

AWiliams - DWilliams

Put Hughes on the weak side, Mario on the strong side to play LB/DE.

We can also play Lawson in Mario's place as a WLB similar to the position he played last year. I am fine with Lawson on the TE.

This might have worked 3 weeks ago. Now? With Julius Thomas out we're seeing the Broncos change it up with their new heavy, run-oriented offense. Virgil Greene is playing TE (think a better version of Lee Smith) and they've been playing a third tackle, Paul Cornick, as a second tight end. If defenses play to stop the pass, the Broncos are killing them with the run. Schlereth was just on local radio explaining this very nicely. The Broncos guards are big but not particularly athletic (sound familiar?). The extra blockers are offering help opening holes to make up for that lack of athleticism, and with the extra blockers out there, the Broncos are forcing defenses to play their heavy/run-stopping guys on the front 7, then Peyton is finding the huge mismatches in the passing game. Of course, defenses will catch up with this tactic sooner or later; let's hope it's Schwartz next week.

The other key is clogging the short passing lanes. Dare him to best you deep. Not sure he has the arm to do it anymore and if you are getting pressure up the middle it makes going deep harder to start with. Do not blitz too much. If you blitz and give him dump offs he will shred you because he puts the ball where his guy can make YAC.

Exactly. We win this game with Dareus and K.Williams. Manning has been evading elite guys like Hughes and Mario for years, but give him nowhere to go b/c Big Man Dareus collapses the pocket and he is screwed. Gilmore can handle it with Graham. I don't see us blitzing as it is too easy for Manning to beat it. Now, the real problem is how the hell is our offense going to score on their defense. They have an excellent defense this year. We'll have to stop that young RB as that is how they will try to beat us.

Given that Schwartz is a disciple of Fisher and fisher was able to defend them so well... Could this help us as I am sure he is quite familiar with what they did on film. I know it was Gregg Williams as DC but aren't they all from that same coaching tree?

Williams and Schwartz have some major differences.

Given that Schwartz is a disciple of Fisher and fisher was able to defend them so well... Could this help us as I am sure he is quite familiar with what they did on film. I know it was Gregg Williams as DC but aren't they all from that same coaching tree?

Broncos ran the ball 9 times for 29 yards against STL. That will not happen again. The way to lose this game is to try to copy what the Rams did.

We can send Spikes up the middle a couple times too. I'm sure he'd relish the opportunity.

More than Rodgers or Brady, I think our defense is built to beat Manning. Let's see what Schwartz can do.

It's certainly not built to beat Brady. We have major problems with good, "quick release" quarterbacks, as do most teams.

This might have worked 3 weeks ago. Now? With Julius Thomas out we're seeing the Broncos change it up with their new heavy, run-oriented offense. Virgil Greene is playing TE (think a better version of Lee Smith) and they've been playing a third tackle, Paul Cornick, as a second tight end. If defenses play to stop the pass, the Broncos are killing them with the run. Schlereth was just on local radio explaining this very nicely. The Broncos guards are big but not particularly athletic (sound familiar?). The extra blockers are offering help opening holes to make up for that lack of athleticism, and with the extra blockers out there, the Broncos are forcing defenses to play their heavy/run-stopping guys on the front 7, then Peyton is finding the huge mismatches in the passing game. Of course, defenses will catch up with this tactic sooner or later; let's hope it's Schwartz next week.

I am not impressed by the Broncos run game

I am not impressed by the Broncos run game

It's only impressive because they decided to go all-in on the run game and forced it to work. But whether you're impressed or not, 201 and 214 yards on the ground in the last two games is a fact. Compare the Bills: 193 yards on the ground in the opener, since then the best we've done is 118. It's working until someone figures out how to stop it.

It's only impressive because they decided to go all-in on the run game and forced it to work. But whether you're impressed or not, 201 and 214 yards on the ground in the last two games is a fact. Compare the Bills: 193 yards on the ground in the opener, since then the best we've done is 118. It's working until someone figures out how to stop it.

Pound the snot out of them. Pound the snot out of them again. Then pound the snot out of them again. After that, well simply pound the snot out of them. Then throw in your second batch. Then pound the snot out of them the first time. Secondly, pound the snot out of them. At which point you would follow that up by pounding the snot out of them. The very next time, pound the snot out of them. Finish it all up with a fancy little bow and nice warm box of pounding the snot out of them.

We have 2 very good rotations at DL, 7 players that would probably work their way in to a starting lineup on every team. If Jarius Wynn comes back, that'll be 8.

An OL makes its living off of run blocking. They usually get their momentum in to the game by wearing down defenders. When you constantly put new bodies in front of them it can offset that ability.

That, and I believe Denver's MO is going to be connect on short passes, put points on the board any which way they can through effective ball control and game management and expect the Bills to match their points. It would not at all surprise me if the score in the first half is something like 10-3 or 13-0. Once the Broncos are able to get ahead on the points they will then begin to run more often and end up doing to us what the Patriots do - rack up a ton of garbage yards and inevitably points as we continue to fail at scoring.

Pound the snot out of them. Pound the snot out of them again. Then pound the snot out of them again. After that, well simply pound the snot out of them. Then throw in your second batch. Then pound the snot out of them the first time. Secondly, pound the snot out of them. At which point you would follow that up by pounding the snot out of them. The very next time, pound the snot out of them. Finish it all up with a fancy little bow and nice warm box of pounding the snot out of them.

We have 2 very good rotations at DL, 7 players that would probably work their way in to a starting lineup on every team. If Jarius Wynn comes back, that'll be 8.

An OL makes its living off of run blocking. They usually get their momentum in to the game by wearing down defenders. When you constantly put new bodies in front of them it can offset that ability.

That, and I believe Denver's MO is going to be connect on short passes, put points on the board any which way they can through effective ball control and game management and expect the Bills to match their points. It would not at all surprise me if the score in the first half is something like 10-3 or 13-0. Once the Broncos are able to get ahead on the points they will then begin to run more often and end up doing to us what the Patriots do - rack up a ton of garbage yards and inevitably points as we continue to fail at scoring.

I don't disagree with the concept at all. But to me the way to beat the Broncos is to bang on the receivers and jam things up at the line. Seattle combined pressure from their front 4 (something we can do) with heavy physical play on the receivers (I'm not sure we can do that). NE did pretty much the same thing. Crowd the box to stop the run and if the receivers get off the line clean, Manning will pick the D to pieces.

I don't disagree with the concept at all. But to me the way to beat the Broncos is to bang on the receivers and jam things up at the line. Seattle combined pressure from their front 4 (something we can do) with heavy physical play on the receivers (I'm not sure we can do that). NE did pretty much the same thing. Crowd the box to stop the run and if the receivers get off the line clean, Manning will pick the D to pieces.

i know it was several weeks ago, but did you happen to see the jets- broncos game? I did not see it, but I know geno was driving for a winning TD when he threw a pick 6. They must have held the WRs somewhat in check. And the Jets have a horrible secondary. Just wondering how they did it.

The Bills have the best 3 man and 4 man rush in the NFL. They don't need blitzes to make Manning move around in the pocket. He hates having to reset his feet and it shows when he throws. He gets picked off a lot. If there is a defense that can make him uncomfortable ours is it.

When passing the Broncos will struggle. The trick for Buffalo will be not letting the Broncos get their run game going. Buffalo will really benefit by getting an early lead. Payton is not going to rely on the run when playing from behind. I think the Broncos OL is weak and the Bills can exploit them in the trenches. Sending blitzes is risky against Manning, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Used in moderation sending an extra guy on a blitz can really be disruptive. Disguise who is coming. Robey really gets there fast.....surprised we don't do that more.

The problem with a LB Blitz up the middle is Manning likes short crossing routes. When LB blitzes from the middle of the field. Who is going to cover that short cross route? Yes, I know a safety can come up, but that is when Manning will get you over the top. Blitzing is useful. Just don't expect it to be done a lot. That just isn't going to happen.

Our D can get there in time with our 4 big guys up front anyway. Manning will without doubt test it. D just has to make him pay.

i know it was several weeks ago, but did you happen to see the jets- broncos game? I did not see it, but I know geno was driving for a winning TD when he threw a pick 6. They must have held the WRs somewhat in check. And the Jets have a horrible secondary. Just wondering how they did it.

That one was kind of v.1 of the Broncos "we'll commit to the run." Ronnie Hillman had a 100 yard rushing game. The Jets did keep the Broncos somewhat in check, but the bottom line is the Broncs had a 100 yard rusher and a 124 yard receiver in D. Thomas. Still, you're right, if the Jets hadn't been so inept on offense, they could've stolen one. Kind of what we're hoping for on Sunday. The Broncos are beatable, and the key is what everyone here recognizes in some manner: you've got to be more physical than them. They don't work well in that kind of game, particularly on offense.

great OP, as usual.. but i can't get excited scheming our D when the outcome of the game is truly in the hands of our O.

we will have a very difficult time run and pass blocking the Denver D, and getting free from their press-cover CBs and the SS they have roaming back there.

hope you guys figure out how to pitch a shut out. ;)