Official Pre-Game Thread: Week 13, Browns at Bills

Dan

Week 13: Cleveland Browns at Buffalo Bills

Monday, November 30, 2014 at 1:00pm

TV Network: CBS (TV Map)

Announcers: Greg Gumbel, Trent Green, and Evan Washburn

DirecTV: 706

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Sal Capaccio (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo – WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - 590 The Fan

Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WKRL (100.9/WKLL 94.9)

Sirius/XM: 119 (Internet 803)

=================================================================

Game Preview:

Mike Pettine received the opportunity to coach the Cleveland Browns after one successful season running the Buffalo Bills' defense.

Thanks to an expedited snow thaw, Pettine returns to suburban Buffalo for the first time Sunday as the Browns and Bills each try to improve their playoff chances.

While Pettine's Browns rank 20th in total defense this season (367.1 ypg), the Bills under defensive coordinator and former Detroit coach Jim Schwartz are fourth (312.2).

Cleveland (7-4), however, is one game ahead of the Bills (6-5), though both remain outside of playoff position.

Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler Alert: Week 13 

Mike Pettine's Cleveland Browns turnaround built on experience

NFL.com Preview: Browns at Bills

NFL.com Game Center

Team Stats:      Bills       Browns

Total Yds/Game.... 322.9         366.9

Total Rush.............  97.5          117.5

Total Pass............. 225.5         249.4

Points/Game..........  20.0           17.4

Time of Poss..........  29.4           28.8

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 312.2         367.1

Rush Yards...........   98.4        134.9

Pass Yards........... 213.8         232.2

Points Allowed........ 18.8           19.9

Source: NFL.com

Overall Offense: Bills - 24th; Browns - 10th

Overall Defense: Bills -  4th; Browns - 21st

MatchUp Comparison via SportingCharts.com

Injury Report:

Buffalo Bills

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS        

Carpenter, Dan          K          Right Groin     LP          LP          LP          Probable

Gragg, Chris            TE          Knee          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Rambo, Bacarri          S          Hamstring       LP          DNP          DNP          Out

Smith, Lee              TE          Illness         DNP          -          -          -

Woods, Robert           WR          Ankle          LP          LP          LP          Probable

Wynn, Jarius            DE          Knee          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Source: BuffaloBills.com

Cleveland Browns

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS        

Joe Thomas              T          --          Full Participation in Practice          --

Tashaun Gipson          S          Knee          Did Not Participate In Practice          Out

Jordan Cameron         TE          Concussion          Limited Participation in Practice          Questionable

Marlon Moore            WR          Hamstring          Did Not Participate In Practice          Out

Jabaal Sheard           LB          Foot          Did Not Participate In Practice          Questionable

Karlos Dansby           LB          Knee          Did Not Participate In Practice          Out

Barkevious Mingo       LB          Shoulder          Full Participation in Practice          Probable

Ahtyba Rubin            DT          Back          Limited Participation in Practice          Questionable

Source: NFL.com   

Practice Status                                                                                         Game Status

DNP = Did Not Participate in Practice                                                      Out = Player will not play

LP = Limited Participation - Less than 100% of normal reps                    Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions                Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Out = Player will not play                                                                          Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available                                          (-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Bills -2

Over/Under: 41.5

Source: The LineMakers

Up to date lines... if you're in Vegas. 

My Thoughts on the Game:

I honestly can't remember a season like this in all my years of following this team.  Since the start of the season we've had a new owner, Kelly Tough, a new QB, a Snowvember, bitter losses, a beat down destruction of the Jets, the wonderful support for Talley, and now... a must win game to enter December with visions of meaningful games in our heads.  It's been such a crazy year! ...and we have another 5 games to go.  

At home, against the Browns, we need to get another big win this week.  But, it won't be easy.  Sure, the Browns are the worst ranked Defense overall that we've faced all season. But that's largely due to their run defense.  The Browns are currently ranked 29th in the league against the run, giving up 135 yds/gm.  However, their pass defense is ranked 8th, as well as their scoring rank.  Hence it seems easy to run on them, but not score so much.  And what is our offense's weakness... running and scoring.

So, I expect a pretty close game.  It also won't surprise me to see the Bills get ultra smart and come out throwing, no way anyone will expect that!  Seriously, this should be the week we get our run game back on track.  I certainly hope so.  If we can't do it against the Browns, it just can't be done.

Here's what I'll be watching for:

1. Our Offensive game plan.  Of all the games to pound it on the ground, this should be it.  Hopefully, we do and we find success.

2. Donte Whitner.  All I want to see from him is Freddie plowing over him with a big stiff arm.  Is that too much to ask? Otherwise, I expect him to be largely a non factor.  Imagine that.

3. Mario Williams.  He's been an absolute terror the last few weeks.  I look forward to him destroying Hoyer. 

4. Marrone vs Pettine.  These two should be quite familiar with each other.  It'll be interesting to see who comes out with a better game plan, a more fired up team, and ultimately who makes the better adjustments at half time.

Go Bills!

Just saw that Jim Kelly will be leading the charge out of the tunnel with a Talley jersey on!

That's very cool

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer 52s52 seconds ago

The Bills will honor 9 groups of first responders pregame, for efforts during the Nov storm. The Pegulas will present them with game balls.

Sal Capaccio@SalSports 7m7 minutes ago

It is currently 56 degrees at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Average for today in WNY is 42.

That's very cool

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer 52s52 seconds ago

The Bills will honor 9 groups of first responders pregame, for efforts during the Nov storm. The Pegulas will present them with game balls.

Sal Capaccio@SalSports 7m7 minutes ago

It is currently 56 degrees at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Average for today in WNY is 42.

56 degrees and Kelly will wear Talley's jersey...coincidence?? I think not. Ralph has his game set up from above.

thanks for doing this every week, helps me find what station to listen to for the Bills on Sirius.

I appreciate your effort!

You're very welcome!

@AlbertBreer: The NFL's two newest owners have spent a lot of time catching up on the field here in Buffalo. http://t.co/I9PP0WAPlH

@mikerodak: As far as punt returns, Thigpen, Fred Jackson, and Robert Woods are taking reps in warmups.

Can someone please explain how Thigpen is active and expecting to play, while Mike Wiiliams isn't even dressed again? What has The Caveman done to get in the dog house all season?

You're very welcome!

Can someone please explain how Thigpen is active and expecting to play, while Mike Wiiliams isn't even dressed again? What has The Caveman done to get in the dog house all season?

im sure we will find out after the season. They aren't cutting him before then, so doubt they would spill

Over the years there's been many players who've been inactive pretty much their entire rookie year, 2nd year, they got stronger and things slowed down and they became decent players. Will he be goign to the pro-bowl, probably not, but that's OK too as long as he can become a decent starter. Same with Richardson, give them another year.

That Kouandjio pick was sad.

Over the years there's been many players who've been inactive pretty much their entire rookie year, 2nd year, they got stronger and things slowed down and they became decent players. Will he be goign to the pro-bowl, probably not, but that's OK too as long as he can become a decent starter. Same with Richardson, give them another year.

i predict Pears will get cut or not signed if he's a FA in cost savings and CK will start at RG next yr Edited by YoloinOhio

i predict Pears will get cut or not signed if he's a FA in cost savings and CK will start at RG next yr

Pears has no upside. shame about the whole thing really.

I just watched turn away from a pass block. Did not have hi hands in front of him. Like he doesnt want to play football. very odd