Regarding Mr. Talley, Can the NFL Ever be Made Safe?

rfk

Is it possible that the NFL can be made safe and yet still as compelling to watch as it is now?

No. What makes it compelling to people is the level of violence and players flying at each other with reckless abandon.

If you take the intensity of the violence away from the game there isn't enough left to interest people.

You can see it already with the complaining with the current "pussification" of the game.

I dont see crab fisherman complaining about drowning on the job

I dont see factory workers complaining about getting their extremeties getting maimed from industrial accidents

NFL players get paid 100x more than the average person to play a game. They know the risks involved with repetitive blows to the head...If you decide its not worth it, you can always walk away and pick up a normal job like anyone else on this message board.

I hate how in our society the NFL and this concussion issue is hot button of conversation, when worker related injuries and DEATHS have been going on for centuries.

I suspect that anybody who works has some concern for their own well being no matter what that work involves. Workers apply for Disability and Compensation all the time and there are always lawyers ready to sue for unsafe working conditions that cause injury and death. NFL players are in the media spotlight and the issue is not going away.

I have to think that as time goes on, any exceptional athlete with half a brain is going to consider other less dangerous professional sports to play.

Sorry, you'll have to enjoy your maiming and such at work.

Bring leather helmets back. Seriously, they won't be able to use them as weapons.Players would have to go back to fundamental blocking and tackling.

This is the problem. Players have this great equipment, and it is miles better than anything before, but they think it makes them invincible. You see it all the time with drivers who have 4WD or AWD and think they can drive 65 in a snowstorm. Then they wonder how they ended up in a ditch.

A serious question needs to be answered in why are there far higher instances of CTE in players who came into the league in the '80s vs previous eras. The game itself didn't change, but the players and the equipment did.

This is the problem. Players have this great equipment, and it is miles better than anything before, but they think it makes them invincible. You see it all the time with drivers who have 4WD or AWD and think they can drive 65 in a snowstorm. Then they wonder how they ended up in a ditch.

Get rid of all the equipment.

Football at its core cannot be totally safe however It's already been made much safer. Problem is you won't realize it until today's players are in their 50s and older and aren't having the same problems at the same frequency.

Bring leather helmets back. Seriously, they won't be able to use them as weapons.Players would have to go back to fundamental blocking and tackling.

People say this all the time but you can bet knees to the face and elbows to the temple cause the same damage.

A serious question needs to be answered in why are there far higher instances of CTE in players who came into the league in the '80s vs previous eras. The game itself didn't change, but the players and the equipment did.

PEDs rampant for the first time as well

With the weight training, nutrition, equipment, and painkillers these guys have been turned into weapons and victims..What about the Canadians ....do they have the same outcomes.

I'm glad my Grandsons play Soccer

i loves me some bone crunching tackles but....

Perhaps naked football is the answer..

No it's a violent game at an incredible pace with world class athletes. By the time most veteran players retire they have played the game for over 20-25 years. The head/brain injuries and consequences will always be there. If players start to retire by the age 28-30 - which will not happen - you may see a significant reduction in the number to these types of injuries. But we all know the almighty DOLLAR is more important.

No it's a violent game at an incredible pace with world class athletes. By the time most veteran players retire they have played the game for over 20-25 years. The head/brain injuries and consequences will always be there. If players start to retire by the age 28-30 - which will not happen - you may see a significant reduction in the number to these types of injuries. But we all know the almighty DOLLAR is more important.

Yep, no helmet will ever be able to stop concussions.

Safer, I'm not sure.

I do think the NFL as a private business has to think up something innovative to handle the health care needs of its players proactively after retirement. Something akin to a pension for health care - an untouchable sum of money that's built by both player and league contribution that the player can use after retirement solely for their health care needs. Or in the year or two after retirement, the NFL paying for what I'd call post-career conditioning in helping players, especially offensive linemen, shed weight, eat right, get off the PEDs, etc. so retired players get started off in retirement on the right track.

Obvious two choices, better gear or reduction of violent impacts in the game significantly changing its broad appeal.

For those saying give em leather heads, rugby and soccer have produced cte too.

Another option is to put sensors in the helmets, measure cumulative forces and cap a players exposure provided they can correlate force and damage. But this could lead to targeting and lawsuits too. See none of these guys would agree to have the NFL say, you've reached your cap of head trauma, play anymore more and your at risk. You are out. Should have kept your head up.

It's a fascinating dilemma really.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Obvious two choices, better gear or reduction of violent impacts in the game significantly changing its broad appeal.

For those saying give em leather heads, rugby and soccer have produced cte too.

Another option is to put sensors in the helmets, measure cumulative forces and cap a players exposure provided they can correlate force and damage. But this could lead to targeting and lawsuits too. See none of these guys would agree to have the NFL say, you've reached your cap of head trauma, play anymore more and your at risk. You are out. Should have kept your head up.

It's a fascinating dilemma really.

That is a very interesting spin. If something like that were implemented in the future, teams and the NFL could let players keep playing if players were to sign waivers saying from this point forward any future brain problems are on the player and the teams and NFL become not liable for anything, therefor players would not be able to sue for anything. I could see something like that but it would still get ugly legal wise.

Is it possible that the NFL can be made safe and yet still as compelling to watch as it is now?

This is nothing against current players, but make it a prison league. Keep the violence, keep the spectacle, push it further towards the periphery of peaceful society. Attica!

No. You can't make a contact sport 'safe' and the efforts to make it safer have already made is less compelling to watch.

The question is how much safer can they make it while keeping it worth watching at all.

Well, Robots will take over the sport by 2030 so just a couple more generations of wussie humanoid injuries.

Why not a force field around the player's body so the impact is muffled.

How about using ISIS prisoners as players. No chopping heads allowed.

Lets all have a pint and watch Soccer and Lacrosse. Perhaps contact Golf.

Have a device that delivers a genital shock to any player who exceeds a certain impact velocity.

I could go on but I'll get nasty replies

Edited by rfk

With the weight training, nutrition, equipment, and painkillers these guys have been turned into weapons and victims..What about the Canadians ....do they have the same outcomes.

I'm glad my Grandsons play Soccer

i loves me some bone crunching tackles but....

Perhaps naked football is the answer..

Soccer is the #1 cause of concussions in women's sports in the US and #2 in men's sports only because far more men play football than soccer.

This is a really great point. It's always felt that improved protective equipment decreases injury, but the law of unintended consequences indicates sometimes it just leads to people going harder - eg, studies where anti-lock brakes don't necessarily decrease accidents.

Soccer is the #1 cause of concussions in women's sports in the US and #2 in men's sports only because far more men play football than soccer.

Hmmm not so sure that's true anymore. But as far women's soccer, a coach explained that to me one time and I've seen it to be true. If you see two men go for 50/50 ball, most of the time if one of the players has a slight edge, the other player will back off. But in the women's game, that generally won't happen and they are far more likely to bang their heads together than men are, and this is the main reason for concussions in soccer and is true in high school as well as college.

Hmmm not so sure that's true anymore. But as far women's soccer, a coach explained that to me one time and I've seen it to be true. If you see two men go for 50/50 ball, most of the time if one of the players has a slight edge, the other player will back off. But in the women's game, that generally won't happen and they are far more likely to bang their heads together than men are, and this is the main reason for concussions in soccer and is true in high school as well as college.

Most high schools and colleges have both soccer & football teams, a typical soccer roster size is 14-16, where football is 50+ players.

Most high schools and colleges have both soccer & football teams, a typical soccer roster size is 14-16, where football is 50+ players.

Factor in travel soccer at the high school and below levels. Plus do high schools have 50+ football rosters in some places? Not around me they don't. Can't get that nearly that many to play. But I could see it in the south, Texas for example I guess.

I'm sure that there is head gear that soccer players could wear that would limit concussions and high schools could easily have a more than one team to accommodate every student that wants to play (at a cheaper cost than FB).

I love football but it's now apparent that we are watching mostly African Americans from poor economic backgrounds sacrifice their health and longevity so we can get a taste of ultra violence from our couches...

I'm sure that there is head gear that soccer players could wear that would limit concussions and high schools could easily have a more than one team to accommodate every student that wants to play (at a cheaper cost than FB).

I love football but it's now apparent that we are watching mostly African Americans from poor economic backgrounds sacrifice their health and longevity so we can get a taste of ultra violence from our couches...

Uh oh....you're not going to call me a plantation owner or anything similar for watching the NFL, are you?

Far more youths ages 6-18 play soccer than tackle football:

Tackle football: 3.26 million.

Soccer: 7.11 million.

It's highly probable that more boys play youth soccer than girls, so if we assume 60 percent boys, we're talking 4 million playing soccer.

http://online.wsj.co...350892629229918

Edited by dave mcbride

Uh oh....you're not going to call me a plantation owner or anything similar for watching the NFL, are you?

Well, Boss.....

We're not talking slavery here (that would be an insult) but their are similarities.

I hope that as time goes on definitive information on outcomes is available to young men who play football so they know what they are risking.

What needs to happen is for NFLPA to start punishing players for reckless plays on fellow players. Right now they defend every player whether the player is in right or wrong even when they injure players and break rules.

they will never punish their own.

they will never respect one another.

they will be dragged kicking and screaming all the way through any and all rule changes. using them as bargaining chips even though its for their own good.

it wouldn't surprise me if half the NFL players already have signs of brain injury BEFORE they ever played a down in the NFL.