Regarding Mr. Talley, Can the NFL Ever be Made Safe?

rfk

Is it possible that the NFL can be made safe and yet still as compelling to watch as it is now?

No. What makes it compelling to people is the level of violence and players flying at each other with reckless abandon.

If you take the intensity of the violence away from the game there isn't enough left to interest people.

You can see it already with the complaining with the current "pussification" of the game.

I dont see crab fisherman complaining about drowning on the job

I dont see factory workers complaining about getting their extremeties getting maimed from industrial accidents

NFL players get paid 100x more than the average person to play a game. They know the risks involved with repetitive blows to the head...If you decide its not worth it, you can always walk away and pick up a normal job like anyone else on this message board.

I hate how in our society the NFL and this concussion issue is hot button of conversation, when worker related injuries and DEATHS have been going on for centuries.

I suspect that anybody who works has some concern for their own well being no matter what that work involves. Workers apply for Disability and Compensation all the time and there are always lawyers ready to sue for unsafe working conditions that cause injury and death. NFL players are in the media spotlight and the issue is not going away.

I have to think that as time goes on, any exceptional athlete with half a brain is going to consider other less dangerous professional sports to play.

Sorry, you'll have to enjoy your maiming and such at work.

Bring leather helmets back. Seriously, they won't be able to use them as weapons.Players would have to go back to fundamental blocking and tackling.

This is the problem. Players have this great equipment, and it is miles better than anything before, but they think it makes them invincible. You see it all the time with drivers who have 4WD or AWD and think they can drive 65 in a snowstorm. Then they wonder how they ended up in a ditch.

A serious question needs to be answered in why are there far higher instances of CTE in players who came into the league in the '80s vs previous eras. The game itself didn't change, but the players and the equipment did.

This is the problem. Players have this great equipment, and it is miles better than anything before, but they think it makes them invincible. You see it all the time with drivers who have 4WD or AWD and think they can drive 65 in a snowstorm. Then they wonder how they ended up in a ditch.

Get rid of all the equipment.

Football at its core cannot be totally safe however It's already been made much safer. Problem is you won't realize it until today's players are in their 50s and older and aren't having the same problems at the same frequency.

Bring leather helmets back. Seriously, they won't be able to use them as weapons.Players would have to go back to fundamental blocking and tackling.

People say this all the time but you can bet knees to the face and elbows to the temple cause the same damage.

A serious question needs to be answered in why are there far higher instances of CTE in players who came into the league in the '80s vs previous eras. The game itself didn't change, but the players and the equipment did.

PEDs rampant for the first time as well

With the weight training, nutrition, equipment, and painkillers these guys have been turned into weapons and victims..What about the Canadians ....do they have the same outcomes.

I'm glad my Grandsons play Soccer

i loves me some bone crunching tackles but....

Perhaps naked football is the answer..

No it's a violent game at an incredible pace with world class athletes. By the time most veteran players retire they have played the game for over 20-25 years. The head/brain injuries and consequences will always be there. If players start to retire by the age 28-30 - which will not happen - you may see a significant reduction in the number to these types of injuries. But we all know the almighty DOLLAR is more important.

No it's a violent game at an incredible pace with world class athletes. By the time most veteran players retire they have played the game for over 20-25 years. The head/brain injuries and consequences will always be there. If players start to retire by the age 28-30 - which will not happen - you may see a significant reduction in the number to these types of injuries. But we all know the almighty DOLLAR is more important.

Yep, no helmet will ever be able to stop concussions.

Safer, I'm not sure.

I do think the NFL as a private business has to think up something innovative to handle the health care needs of its players proactively after retirement. Something akin to a pension for health care - an untouchable sum of money that's built by both player and league contribution that the player can use after retirement solely for their health care needs. Or in the year or two after retirement, the NFL paying for what I'd call post-career conditioning in helping players, especially offensive linemen, shed weight, eat right, get off the PEDs, etc. so retired players get started off in retirement on the right track.