RG 1+1+1

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Former Teammate Has A Theory On Why RG3 Has Been So Bad, And It Could End His Career

Former Washington Redskins tight end Chris Cooley now hosts a radio show on ESPN Radio and recently spent a segment giving a very detailed look at everything Robert Griffin III did wrong during the team's recent loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The analysis, which can be seen in detail in The Washington Post, concludes that RGIII failed at almost all of the basics of being an NFL quarterback including missing basic reads, not seeing wide-open receivers, misreading the defenses, and failing to run the team's offense.

It got so bad that, Cooley says, the coaching staff eventually had to switch to what Cooley called a "Day-One offense," the absolute basics.

http://finance.yahoo...-171900605.html

Did he have all these problems his rookie year? I didn't see much of him, so I don't know if his success was due all to his incredible speed, which is now diminished. I had thought he was the whole QB package.

Did he have all these problems his rookie year? I didn't see much of him, so I don't know if his success was due all to his incredible speed, which is now diminished. I had thought he was the whole QB package.

They had him on roll outs and half field reads they also had Morris firing on all cylinders and people were stacking the box against the run so when he did go down field his windows were bigger. Gruden wants him to stand in the pocket, look at what he sees and make the right read... and when he is tucking and running (which he is doing too much) teams are better prepared at keeping him from getting to the outside.

It's tricky, the Shanahans were responsible for so much of his original success... but then putting him in when injured has clearly had a detrimental affect longer term. He has lot a lot of confidence too.

RG 3 needs a full time QB coach to start from page 1. Spend all his time in the film room to read a defense , learn the correct mechanics.

I think Gruden has his attention now. I would give a 3rd rd pick for him maybe a 2nd or a player trade. He's another lottery ticket at this point.

RG 3 needs a full time QB coach to start from page 1. Spend all his time in the film room to read a defense , learn the correct mechanics.

I think Gruden has his attention now. I would give a 3rd rd pick for him maybe a 2nd or a player trade. He's another lottery ticket at this point.

This isn't Madden football. 7th rd pick at the most. RG3's potential ceiling is getting lower and lower.

I said it before in this thread. Bevell from seattle designed an offense to allow wilson to succeed. Griffin completed 65% of his passes rookie year, 60% last year and is at 69% this year. So he's getting the ball to the wr pretty accurately. On top of that he's a hell of an athlete so he just needs to be in the right offense.

I said it before in this thread. Bevell from seattle designed an offense to allow wilson to succeed. Griffin completed 65% of his passes rookie year, 60% last year and is at 69% this year. So he's getting the ball to the wr pretty accurately. On top of that he's a hell of an athlete so he just needs to be in the right offense.

You have to take those completion percentage stats into context. Griffin is completing mainly screens , dumpoffs, crossing routes currently. Those are easy passes to complete.

Your right his completion % is falsely inflated as they are short passes. More of them than not are behind the line of scrimmage. If you piece his three seasons into two due to injuries and benching, he's an average of 6-10 for two years.

I wouldn't want him. He has a problem now with two coaches. He takes his arguments to the media against his coaches. From Gruden's standpoint, he's not putting in the time to prep.

He is not th e answer in Buffalo for those who think he could improve us.

He had success in an offence that relied upon his ability to run the ball.

It's an exaggeration, but not much, to say that he was a running back playing quarterback.

Unlike Wilson, he did not run in order to buy time in the passing game. He was a true running quarterback in a designed system that did not require him to do the laundry list of things that pro QBs have to do to succeed long term.

He didn't have to do those things at Baylor either.

So's he looks very much to be just another world class athlete who cannot play the all important position at the highest level.

There are lots of guys like that. People confuse athleticism with talent for playing the position. They are very different and only marginally correlated. How many great QBs are world class athletes?

He's obviously not much of a leader either, and that actually is important as part of the job description.

So as a running QB who is not as durable as say Steve Young, can't go through his progressions, read a defence to save his life and who can't back up the now empty hype he's in the discussion as the epic all time bust.

Instead of being a generational talent, he has set the Skins back a generation.

The Bills can do better. I would like to see them make a major play for Jameis W. He's the best prospect since Andrew Luck and could be as good.

Nah. We are the land of backups.

Maybe true thru the years. But...you guys are doing quite well. I think if I'm a Browns fan I'm wanting to keep Hoyer around. You can do a whole lot worse than Hoyer. The grass always seems greener but often it isn't.

Hoyer and Manziel. I'm feeling good about our stable of QB's if I'm a Browns fan. And frankly, unlike a lot of Bills fans I'm pretty happy with our current stable of QB's. Orton has done a pretty darn good job for the most part. EJ is at the ready. EJ is gonna be OK. I dont think he's quite there yet but again we could do much worse for a back-up QB than EJ.

Looking forward to Sundays game. Huge game for both teams. If Cleveland can run the ball effectively....we are in trouble. If not I think we git r done. Cant damn wait !!

He had success in an offence that relied upon his ability to run the ball.

It's an exaggeration, but not much, to say that he was a running back playing quarterback.

Unlike Wilson, he did not run in order to buy time in the passing game. He was a true running quarterback in a designed system that did not require him to do the laundry list of things that pro QBs have to do to succeed long term.

He didn't have to do those things at Baylor either.

So's he looks very much to be just another world class athlete who cannot play the all important position at the highest level.

There are lots of guys like that. People confuse athleticism with talent for playing the position. They are very different and only marginally correlated. How many great QBs are world class athletes?

He's obviously not much of a leader either, and that actually is important as part of the job description.

So as a running QB who is not as durable as say Steve Young, can't go through his progressions, read a defence to save his life and who can't back up the now empty hype he's in the discussion as the epic all time bust.

Instead of being a generational talent, he has set the Skins back a generation.

The Bills can do better. I would like to see them make a major play for Jameis W. He's the best prospect since Andrew Luck and could be as good.

Wow. I had thought he was supposed to be more than just a running QB. I thought he was really smart, a leader, charismatic, and figured he had a great arm. I know at one point pretty deep into his Heisman season - he had more touchdowns than incompletions! And, I believe no INTs at that point. That is when I first heard about him - when he was putting up crazy passing numbers.