GoFundMe for Darryl Talley (Update 7/12- Bills Hire Darryl)

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying, CBF, I mention it in each interview. I'll be on WBEN radio Monday morning at 8:20 am, I'll be sure to give out major props there.

Wait a minute, your name is Frank? It's not Chevy like Chevy Chase?

Kudos once again. Thanks for doing this. You are now on the NFL's hit list for making them look bad. Watch your back. ;)

I know there is a separate thread about Darryl's sad situation, but I hope the mods find this worthy of it's own entry.

I have set up a Go Fund Me campaign to help Darryl pay his bills and get the help he needs. Please consider donating what you can.

If any one of us was in need Darryl would be the first Bill rushing to our aid.

http://www.gofundme.com/hvkgjo

Thanks for setting this up. Looks like he has really come under hard times and its things like this that give me hope for the future of mankind.

Just got of the phone from a heartfelt chat with Darryl's wife, Janine. She wants everyone to know that she, Darryl and their kids are just floored by the outpouring of emotion and donations.

They want to thank all of the Bills and Mountaineer fans that have reached out to them at this time. She said that it has "meant the world to them."

They also want it to be known that they never expected this flood of money and their consciences make it very hard for them to accept these funds.

I told her that I wanted them to make the best decision as to how the money can best help their family. I also told her that people have given from their hearts and understand that Darryl never asked for a thing.

We will talk again soon.

It might help if you took a moment and posted on the Go Fund Me page and let her and Darryl know your feelings.

Just got of the phone from a heartfelt chat with Darryl's wife, Janine. She wants everyone to know that she, Darryl and their kids are just floored by the outpouring of emotion and donations.

They want to thank all of the Bills and Mountaineer fans that have reached out to them at this time. She said that it has "meant the world to them."

They also want it to be known that they never expected this flood of money and their consciences make it very hard for them to accept these funds.

I told her that I wanted them to make the best decision as to how the money can best help their family. I also told her that people have given from their hearts and understand that Darryl never asked for a thing.

We will talk again soon.

It might help if you took a moment and posted on the Go Fund Me page and let her and Darryl know your feelings.

Thank You for spearheading the campaign to support them. Kudos to you. :thumbsup:

We will talk again soon.

You are truly a great person to set this up. This is fanhood at its finest, but true character is revealed in the worst of times and how one rises up to help those in need.

What a story, especially at the holidays. I'll post at the page.

Wow, didn't see all this. Absolutely great. On one hand, I am a little suspicious of people who churn through their money, but when it comes to football players of the past (90s and before), I ease up, due to all the damage they take, especially brain damage. DT was awesome, and I'll be showing my support in the near future.

You are truly a great person to set this up. This is fanhood at its finest, but true character is revealed in the worst of times and how one rises up to help those in need.

What a story, especially at the holidays. I'll post at the page.

good post Yolo

But may i suggest this is Humanity at its finest. And that Buffalo Bills are much more than a football team to us.

but definitely Bills fans have kicked it right down the middle these last couple days.

Thank you Frank.

We love you man.

Go Bills

We will talk again soon.

You are a good person!

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/11/28/darryl-talley-family-overpowered-bills-fans-emphatic-display-love/

Pretty much what Janine told me tonight. I understand the position they are in and respect the pride that they carry themselves with.

I believe, in the end, we'll figure out the best way to use the money for their benefit.

We will talk again soon.

You might suggest to her that, even if they won't accept the money, they still get to determine how the money gets used, so if they'd rather donate it to a charity or CTE research...

It doesn't have to go to him to still do some good on his behalf.

I think that... Beyond the financial support... It's possible this reaction from the Bills fan base... HIS fan base.. Might help his mental health. It may prop him up to know how much he is still revered, respected, and appreciated for all he did. Perhaps the league and the team had parameters around what they can do for ex-players who end up with seemingly insurmountable health problems as a result of playing the way he did. But the fan base doesn't. We have his back, just like he always had ours. Maybe that helps him get up every day.

A couple things that need to be pointed out, not really on here but at some of the comments on various media sites.

1) While I don't know how much Talley made over his career it was nowhere near the salaries of today. His $39k a year for disability is probably closer to $19k or $365 a week after taxes.

2) CTE. Nothing was known about concussions and the link of repeated head trauma to brain injury when Talley played. People saying, "he knew the risks," are sickening.

A couple things that need to be pointed out, not really on here but at some of the comments on various media sites.

1) While I don't know how much Talley made over his career it was nowhere near the salaries of today. His $39k a year for disability is probably closer to $19k or $365 a week after taxes.

2) CTE. Nothing was known about concussions and the link of repeated head trauma to brain injury when Talley played. People saying, "he knew the risks," are sickening.

absolutely. We cannot judge him without walking in his shoes.

I'm conflicted. On one hand I'd like to help Darryl. On the other I've followed his wife on Twitter @J9Talley for a while and I remember an awful lot of posts about shopping at high end estate sales including pictures of the stuff she bought and entertaining antiquing mavens from the Orlando area at their home, etc. These two things seem to be pretty incongruent with each other but maybe she's good at keeping up appearances or it's part of her business. I have no idea. It's just giving me pause. If i hadn't seen what I've seen it'd be a no-brainer but tweets like this from this month make me wonder.

Humans learn at a very early age that if you slam body parts against something long enough and hard enough its going to cause injury. Just because we gave it a name(CTE) this past decade doesn't mean that fact just began its existence. Players like Talley knew that there was a potential for serious injury before they stepped on an NFL football field. Players were getting paralyzed during Talleys career. That didn't even stop him.

That being said CTE does exist. Darryls symptoms seem awful and he deserves some help. I support this effort and think its amazing what fans have accomplished so far.

I think that... Beyond the financial support... It's possible this reaction from the Bills fan base... HIS fan base.. Might help his mental health. It may prop him up to know how much he is still revered, respected, and appreciated for all he did. Perhaps the league and the team had parameters around what they can do for ex-players who end up with seemingly insurmountable health problems as a result of playing the way he did. But the fan base doesn't. We have his back, just like he always had ours. Maybe that helps him get up every day.

That's what I was thinking.

Such an emotional year. DT and Jimbo know they wouldn't get this love in most other places........And, I really think the Bills played their hearts out Monday night for us, after that insane week.