Franchise Sack Record

Is anyone else pleasantly surprised that the Bills are on pace to break the franchise sack record again? I was almost certain going to Shwartz from Pettine would cause a drastic reduction in sacks, but it's been the opposite. Last season when they broke the record they had 37 sacks through 11 games. This season they have 46 after 11 weeks.

As much love as we gave Pettine last season, I think you have to admit Shwartz is hands down a better DC. He's improved almost every facet of the defense, and he doesn't even have Kiko out there.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I can see as why this might be true, is the fact that this defense is playing together for one more year. There weren't many changes. None in the DLine. These guys are just playing well together and needed time to gem to their full potential.

I don't imagine this D with Kiko. I think he was overrated especially after about mod season last year. Not sure where he even fits in this D. Bradham has become a monster and of course Spikes is. Maybe Kiko plays the other OLB spot tue majority of the time but MLB on sure passing downs when Spiles is off the field.

On that note, I would like to add the must haves for the offseason:

Dareus

Hughes

Spikes

All 3 need to be resigned.

We are deep on the DL too! There is no drop off in talent when our other guys come in!

I wouldn't go that far. They are capable of filling in and even making some plays, but there are no backups who can play like our starting 4. I hnik it's fair to say there is less drop off than most teams have going to their backups. This seems to be the right players in the right system.

The only thing I can see as why this might be true, is the fact that this defense is playing together for one more year. There weren't many changes. None in the DLine. These guys are just playing well together and needed time to gem to their full potential.

I don't imagine this D with Kiko. I think he was overrated especially after about mod season last year. Not sure where he even fits in this D. Bradham has become a monster and of course Spikes is. Maybe Kiko plays the other OLB spot tue majority of the time but MLB on sure passing downs when Spiles is off the field.

Dareus

Hughes

Spikes

Spikes for the right money. Otherwise, I think it's Kiko, Bradham and Brown going forward. The veteran money will need to be allocated to the DL i.e Dareus/Hughes.

It would stink if they can't resign Hughes, but I would rather not overpay for him. A lot of his sacks come as a result of other players getting double teamed. I don't think he gets as many sacks if he is the featured pass rusher on another team.

I think you'd be surprised to see how many sacks other Bills players are getting because teams are double covering Hughes quite often as well. It goes both ways. He's a tremendous pass rusher.

Dareus

Hughes

Spikes

I don't think Kiko was overrated. He's a tackling machine. Having a linebacker that can quickly diagnose plays and get to the ball is a great asset. He led the team in tackles last season, just like Preston Brown does this season. Having those two guys out there at the same time should shrink the field a lot for offenses looking for open spots on the field.

That's if Brown continues to grow and improve. Otherwise it'll be Bradham over Brown, but no way Kiko doesn't stay on the field all 3 downs. I actually like the idea of Bradham - Brown - Kiko without Spikes, but Brown goes in the middle not Kiko. Brown is a natural MLB and Kiko is more versatile so should be on the outside imo.

I money they saved from not signing byrd should have something there for hughes.

That plus i believe that all of Fitz's money is up. The Bills can resign Dareus and Hughes i think. They may need to restructure M. Williams deal some what.

Right now the Bills need to keep the 'strength' they have intact, Dline. Meanwhile try to build oline through draft.

That plus i believe that all of Fitz's money is up. The Bills can resign Dareus and Hughes i think. They may need to restructure M. Williams deal some what.

Right now the Bills need to keep the 'strength' they have intact, Dline. Meanwhile try to build oline through draft.

They can sign Hughes this year and Dareus next year. Dareus already signed for 2015.

Anyone think that M. Williams wont restructure his deal?

CBF

I don't think the Bills would have the gull to ask him to restructure his contract. Nor should they ask him to restructure. It would be an insult as Mario is completely living up to his end of the bargain.

I don't think the Bills would have the gull to ask him to restructure his contract. Nor should they ask him to restructure. It would be an insult as Mario is completely living up to his end of the bargain.

i agree with this.

With that said, I don't think Mario would turn down the idea. Actually I think he would welcome losing a million or so a year to keep the DLine in order.

restructure does not mean reduction necessarily.

Might be converting some salary to bonus to get some cap room.

salary around 12M for each the next three years...depending on cap needs some of that can be converted to bonus if you need the room

and i think less than 10% chance Spikes is back here next year if you want Hughes too.

Edited by plenzmd1

restructure does not mean reduction necessarily.

Might be converting some salary to bonus to get some cap room.

this too

and i think less than 10% chance Spikes is back here next year if you want Hughes too.

i also believe this is probably the decision. One or the other.

They have to sign Hughes and Dareus - if a single part of your team is elite you have to keep it intact. Spikes is a nice to have if money allows. I'd like to keep Charles, Bryant and Wynn as well... not sure what their conract situations are? They are in a good position of having a young and cheap linebacking corps..... so thy can load up a bit on the front 4 and from what we were told Whaley thinks along the same terms.

Stevie Johnson's dead money will be gone next year too. I honestly think Pegula will shell out the money and pay ALL of these guys. We'll definitely have the cap space for it.